eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nicolas Cage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hillary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Nicolas Cage Reply with quote

What do you think of him?

I personally think he kinda sucks, basically all of his characters are exactly the same. No real talent, he's not too pretty, I really don't understand how he made it in the movie business. But his movies themselves are usually just short of okay-ish, which is great compared to some of the crap that Hollywood has been cranking out lately. [[*cough*Sex and the City*cough*]]
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His choices have been kinda crap lately, but I still like the guy. I've described him as a cross between James Stewart and Timothy Carey. Nobody is less ironic than Cage; no matter how stupid the movie is, he commits to it, and no matter how stupid the movie looks to us, there's the sense he did it because he wants to.

Ghost Rider? He's a big fan of the comics. The Wicker Man? He loved the original and wanted to do an update and work with Neil LaBute.

Plus, that YouTube highlight clip of all his hilarious scenes from The Wicker Man makes that movie worth existing. So many people have rethought that flick as a misunderstood comedy that I keep meaning to go back and rewatch it with that in mind.

I realize my take on the guy isn't popular, but I pretty much always enjoy what he brings to the table. I wish he'd trend away from blockbusters or would-be blockbusters a little and occasionally do something crazy like Vampire's Kiss, but I find the dude is usually motivated by artistic concerns or personal enjoyment moreso than the paycheck.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Hillary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where you're coming from, definitely.

But honestly, if one is going to make a movie for the sake of wanting to do it, shouldn't you want to do it right, to make other people like it too?
Take Ghostrider. Sure, he did it cuz he likes comics. Thats all well and good, but the truth is the movie sucked. If you're going to do it, do it right. Especially if its something you wanted to do.

The Wickerman, thats probably Cage's best work, in my opinion. But how in the hell is it supposed to be a comedy? Taking into consideration that "comedy" was originally anything that ended on a good note.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Ghost Rider, he did everything he could do. That is to say, act in the flick, bring some of his own quirks. He didn't produce, write or direct it. The writer-director Mark Steven Johnson and the multitude of producers had more to do with how the film came out.

I'm sure not saying every film he's ever made is golden. But movies are the result of a lot of work by a lot of people, any one of whom can fuck up the movie.

I don't know to what extent Cage had script approval or whatever. What I do know is that Mark Steven Johnson is a comics fan who also happens to be a hack director (see also Daredevil not to mention Simon Birch, his bastardization of John Irving). Point is, in this case, I think the finger points at the writer/director, whose heart is in the right place but who consistently produces mediocrity from the beloved projects he wants to get off the ground.

As for how The Wicker Man is supposed to be a comedy, well, I sure hope there was laughter on the set when Nicolas Cage was running around in a bear suit or kickboxing Leelee Sobieski or screaming "KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GODDAMNED HONEY!!! NOOOO!! NOT THE BEES! NOOOO"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6i2WRreARo

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Hillary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough. But really, by looking at the script or the history of the writer/director, you can usually tell if the movie is gonna be shit. You can back away, save yourself from the black hole of a movie that'll just destroy your rep. Okay, he wanted be Ghostrider. But he would want to be a cool Ghostrider, not the ruin-Ghostrider-for-everyone version, right? So let someone else drag a-could-be-decent character through the mud, that would be the sensible thing.

And I agree, its funny just watching those scenes. But the movie itself, taken as a whole, wasn't funny when you watch it. Cage's "quirks" or not.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: