eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

you like explosions, we like shoes, get over it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Goss wrote:

I'd think it more accurate to say that eFilmCritic is male-dominated because no other women chime in here. We don't intentionally drive them away or blow them off; they just ain't around, so don't try to spin that one in your favor.

I should think the forum's other female commenters, none of whom are exactly wallflowers, are avoiding this topic (if they've even noticed this thread) because they're not sufficiently interested. Besides, Laura is having too much fun being the picked-on martyr who starts these things up because she wants to be right, same as before.

I'm done with this thread, anyway. Said what I want to say, and aside from that, she's a woman and she doesn't get it. Twisted Evil

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'd think it more accurate to say that eFilmCritic is male-dominated because no other women chime in here. We don't intentionally drive them away or blow them off; they just ain't around, so don't try to spin that one in your favor. "

Dude, don't put words in my mouth. Never implied such a thing.

"I thought you were ranting against professional critical response, in which case public reaction is not a valid argument. Again, just because Transformers made a gajillion dollars (look it up) and featured explosions doesn't make it a touching, insightful, or even 'fun' film, no matter what many of my collegiate peers claim."

I was ranting about the perspective of women versus the perspective of men, which I had become enlightened about via the reviews of male critics. If the ratio of bad female reviews to good female reviews is the same as male, I'll conclude that those females are probably either unique or that my theory is somewhat flawed. But as there are just a whole lot more male reviewers out there, I think it's going to be hard to make that conclusion.

"
There was. It was called "Diner" and it was a great movie. It featured characters who were, in their own ways, shallow and self-absorbed (come on, making a girl pass a test on the Colts before agreeing to marry her?) The chief difference (besides the fact that it was funnier, smarter and a hell of a lot shorter) is that it took a critical eye towards that self-absorption instead of blindly celebrating it. Of course, now that I think about it, I can almost imagine something involving Kim Cattrall and that infamous box of popcorn The remainder of this musing has been censored as it merely dovetails off into some unspeakable jokes involving movie theater butter-flavored topping. "

Can't comment on this since I just haven't seen the movie. But I don't see how a guy with an affection for cars should be considered materialistic. I'm just thinking of a random example.

"I'm glad to hear that your inner circle of friends adored the movie but that hardly makes for a sweeping assessment of all femaledom. I bet I could go down to an elementary school, poll the girls there (god that makes me sound like a contestant on "To Catch a Predator) and come away with the startling revelation that Miley Cyrus is the single greatest musical talent to ever live. Now that may be true within the parameters of my focus group, but that don't necessarily make it accurate. "

Woa woa, so college educated women and women past 20 are in the same boat as elementary school gals? They have equally non-discriminative tastes? Sure we're the target audience of SATC; doesn't mean we'll lap anything it throws at us, up. Secondly, my entire review was about how a critic shouldn't ignore the target audience when reviewing it.

3. I don't like Sofia Coppoloa AT ALL. I hate her interpretation of women, Lost in Translation and Virgin Suicides portrayed them completely unrealistically. Yes a woman director did a bad job! OMG MY THEORY IS RUINED. Stop taking corner cases and having them justify counter opinions people. Everyone knows that women like SATC more than men. That's why only women are seeing it in the theaters right now.

4. I never said that you hate movies about women. And I never implied you should LIKE SATC. I'm so annoyed that people keep falling back on this; it's the insinuations about the characters and the fans of the characters that I hate -- which are based up on the fact that most guys and some women just may not empathize with wanting a huge shoe closet or renting designer hand bags.

5. If Mamma Mia! Is not a musical, I will be disappointed -- I did not see any singing in the scenes, just the ABBA music over it.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what person in a debate wouldn't want to prove their point? I'm not just out to be right; I think I'm right. My gosh these boards are so fucking boring and yet any time there's a little conversation going, it comes back to me being stubborn. When really it's just me being ganged up on and taking 10 posts to get one point clarified because it keeps getting misinterpreted. Take for instance all the people who keep justifying that they shouldn't have to LIKE the film when I never once implied they should.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, I think a lot of you guys realize that you probably are sexist in some ways without ever realizing it. Just like I'm probably racist in some ways without realizing it -- I'm white after all. I think that's why a lot of you are so up in arms about my feature, and since you seem to feel it's easy to pick apart, you will do so willingly.

Like the developers here at my work. They are sexist and have no idea. I had to prove to them that I was intelligent and could find a bug on a site before they would take my word that I had actually found a bug versus doing something wrong -- now they do of course and always turn to me. But it took a while. Whereas any guy who spoke up in the beginning would get their attention immediately! And I work for a company that's about as hippie and Austin-ish as can be. Smile
petersob
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I was not trying to insinuate that female college graduates and elementary school girls were the same--just trying to point out that you can skew anything depending on who you talk to. If I asked around at a sci-fi convention, for example, I might come away with the startling revelation that "Star Trek" was the single most important creation in the whole of mankind and again, that simply isn't true (with the possible exception of "Wrath of Khan"

2. I'm not writing reviews for a presumed target audience. I am writing my own opinions based on what I see on the screen and that is all. Trust me, there are plenty of reviewers out there willing to pander in this way but I am not one of them, mostly out of laziness.

3. Watch Diner--trust me.

4. The things about Marie Antoinette and hating white people were jokes. Not necessarily amusing jokes, by any stretch of the imagination, but jokes nevertheless.

5. Sofia Coppola could outdo "Sex and the City" in her sleep--some will no doubt argue that she already has.

6. From what I understand, Mama Mia is a full-blown musical. I already have my suicide pills at the ready. Not because I am prejudiced against musicals, but because I fucking hate ABBA like the plague.

7. What would John Simon say about all of this? My guess is that it would be something along the lines of Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist von den Aalen voll!
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I was not trying to insinuate that female college graduates and elementary school girls were the same--just trying to point out that you can skew anything depending on who you talk to. If I asked around at a sci-fi convention, for example, I might come away with the startling revelation that "Star Trek" was the single most important creation in the whole of mankind and again, that simply isn't true (with the possible exception of "Wrath of Khan" "

--But I never made the argument that SATC was the most brilliant movie I've ever seen. That's hardly been my angle from post #1. My conclusion is that women clearly appreciate the movie more than men.

"I'm not writing reviews for a presumed target audience. I am writing my own opinions based on what I see on the screen and that is all. Trust me, there are plenty of reviewers out there willing to pander in this way but I am not one of them, mostly out of laziness. "

--You definitely can't leave out your opinions; but you still have to consider the target audience when making them. Would you not do to she same for a genre film or a kid's movie? Secondly, I don't think your review should be glowing because you figure SATC fans will adore it, but you should consider how you -- a male -- might hastily jump to conclusions about the characters/themes without really thinking over it, simply because you can't relate to them.

"Watch Diner--trust me."

OK.

"The things about Marie Antoinette and hating white people were jokes. Not necessarily amusing jokes, by any stretch of the imagination, but jokes nevertheless."

Perhaps if I'd seen Marie Antoinette I would've figure that out.

"Sofia Coppola could outdo "Sex and the City" in her sleep--some will no doubt argue that she already has."

Haha, fair enough, but I can't stand her style of direction.

"From what I understand, Mama Mia is a full-blown musical. I already have my suicide pills at the ready. Not because I am prejudiced against musicals, but because I fucking hate ABBA like the plague. "

Yay! I actually am not a fan of ABBA, and only really got into their music via the show. I like the music in the show; don't so much like it outside it.

"My father is 47. He is straight. He is single (well, divorced). He's not followed Sex and the City as a show.

He enjoyed the movie. "

How interesting! : )
petersob
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, I never related to Travis Bickle very much and yet I still like Taxi Driver.

In fact, these are the only three movies that I claim to relate to in any way, shape or form.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059245/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102782/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086325/
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, did I miss anything? I'll make it short.

1. Despite Peter saying it's a joke - it's a well-known fact around the Chicago screening room that he hates films about white people. To be more specific - films about young, white, suburban males with relationship problems. In his defense, a majority of them are bad and further proof that we're equal opportunity haters.

2. While I quoted Say Anything in my review to point out how far we've come from the teenage girls who fell in love with Lloyd Dobler to the same women 19 years later who love THIS shit, obviously I misquoted and should have went with the more telling, "Bitches, man!"

And who the hell likes Jennifer Hudson "as a person?"
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually meant as a personality/actress. I don't know her personally.
WSSlover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Thelma & Louise: Reply with quote

Rob Gonsalves wrote:
Thelma & Louise was about something other than airhead wish-fulfillment. I enjoyed it and so did many other males. Many females enjoyed it. Others did not, citing what they felt to be a defeatist denouement.

I just think the whole "you don't like this film because you're this/that/the other" is hopelessly out of touch; it's truly bizarre that we're still hearing it in 2008.

Thelma & Louise was a cool movie. Admittedly, I especially liked the hold-up, and when Thelma & Louise shot up the wise-guy's oil truck! heh heh.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

Twice the shoes! Twice the shallow sluttiness!

Twisted Evil

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going from Facebook status updates, even Laura didn't like this one.
Collin Souter
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Ebert will call them sluts.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a second there I thought Laura came back to defend her points yet again and bump this thread all over...

That statement above Matt, that Laura didn't like SATC2, why is it that I somehow find it quite ironic...?

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: