eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh yes I Remember this...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Reliving the Summer of 1990 - Week Six
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Oh yes I Remember this... Reply with quote

These flicks came out when I was in 2nd grade. I had just barely moved from Mexico to california, and had never heard of NASCAR before, nor I had barely a grasp of imagination regarding movies. I however, watched a NASCAR race back in late 1989 and was suddenly hooked. I was more of a "cool thing" rather than a serious following if you get my meaning, in terms of it leaving a deep impression on my 7-8 year old self. So naturally of course I was excited when this flick came about. We didn't watch it at the theater so we waited when it came out on video.

I'll be honest, I enjoyed the thing. Mainly because I saw cars racing, and some of them one-liners were funny as hell. And of course, this is where I met Nicole Kidman and had probably one of my first boners. Wink

However, as years passed and got into racing more and got older, I saw it again, just to relive what I experienced many years ago, and came off disappointed. I couldn't believe how cliched the thing was. The love story was vapid, and the racing sequences in the end although exciting, they were completely unrealistic. And I was annoyed at Scott for doing edits of different race tracks and then say it was this track (Example, Phoenix has shots of Daytona, come on...) I know, this maybe nit-picking but since I grew up around racing, I can't help but being annoyed at those bits. The one-liners are still funny, and I can see Towne and Cruise trying their damnedest in analyzing the mind of a race car driver. they come up short but I'll give them an A for effort. (I've raced with my legs broke, heart bruised, eyes popping out of my head like dead hot springs!)

However, Kidman's tirade after Cruise chases a cab, was just plain idiotic.

In the end, I guess you could say that this is one of them "priviliges of youth" movies. The ones you enjoyed when you were a kid but wonder how did you liked it in the first place later on when you watch it as an adult.

Duvall as Hogge kicked ass though.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To director Tony Scott's credit, the racing sequences were more spatially coherent than his jet sequences in Top Gun.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Reliving the Summer of 1990 - Week Six All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: