eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Halo 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Halo 3 Reply with quote

So, nu? Anyone? Thoughts? Bitching? Raving? Impressions?

No spoilers please- I'm a big storyline guy. But any hypeless reflections, etc would be nice, or just some good ol' Halopreciation.

Some kid on another forum I indulge in just claimed he finished Legendary in 5 hours. Whether he's lying or not I could care less (Frankly I wouldn't be surprised the way some of these zombies plug away), I was more jealous of his 5 hours of uninterrupted time. As it stands right now I barely have time for a good old turf war in GTA San Andreas before its time to run upstairs to walk the dog, clean the place, spend time with Amanda or watch Boston Legal, a show that for some odd reason, just makes me as happy as can be.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked it up on Tuesday, still haven't had time to even open the box. I'm planning a Halo-a-thon on Friday night though, once the wife passes out on the couch after a couple of margaritas Wink

A friend of mine (who has no day job) is about 2/3 of the way through the campaign. He says that the story is good and the visuals are jaw-dropping at times, but at the end of the day it's just Halo 2 all gussied up with more bells and whistles. Not that that's a bad thing.

Looks like it may have some stiff competition from Call of Duty 4 though. the on-line beta of it is awesome, so I can only imagine how good the finished product will be.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I get annoyed when people take the Halo 2/Halo route with more bells and whistles- Assholes, that's the point. The first Halo was magnificent in its balance of intuitive controls, weapons systems and 3rd player vehicle perspective.

Halo 2 did it with better graphics but dropped the ball a bit with their storyline, and the choice to steal the Chief's thunder by splitting the game (not that I didn't enjoy playing the Arbiter, but MC should have gotten a tad more face time- it seemed wrong). And dual wielding of course.

All I want, all anyone should want are improvements to the original- there wasn't necessarily anything that needed to be "fixed"- Halo eclipses Halo 2 for all the graphical improvements of the latter, and I love the storyline. For me, nothing can top Halo's atmosphere of panic and hopelessness in the face of imminent destruction. Halo 2 couldn't capture it as well, and I'm hoping the 3rd brings it home. But I don't want a completely new game- I want to enjoy the aspects I so enjoyed in the first.

I don't know why I get so damn defensive about this game. Hell, I'm also looking forward to the Half-Life 2.5 coming out- Orange... something.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, from what I understand, the Chief is back in the driver's seat for the whole game (I hope). I never did care for the arbiter levels in Halo 2 (unless I could get my claws on a set of human weapons, then I could at least pretend I was still playing as the Chief Wink )

My friend just finished the campaign, said he would rate it 9.5 out of 10, which is about what most of the gaming media outlets are giving it. I'm sure it's gonna rock. Guess I'll find out tonight! It's going to take some getting used to going from the world of Rapture to the world of Halo, but I am definitely looking forward to not having to "hack" anything. That was the one part of Bioshock that ultimately grew tedious.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finished the campaign, and it didn't take very long either (I'd say less than 10 hours). Haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but my initial impressions are that it's basically just Halo 2 with a few extra weapons and defensive abilities, but nothing really Earth shattering. If I had to pick a game of the year, it would be Bioshock hands down, even without the multiplay. The atmosphere of Bioshock was just so much richer and denser and the story far more interesting than the half baked sci-fi mish mash of Halo's plot. But still, it's Halo, and Halo is always a blast for mindless shoot-em-up action. Just seems like a bit of a letdown after such a long wait.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing Bioshock now- really nice setup. I love the storyline, visuals, and gameplay.

Halo will wait until I recoup some cash, but the wife was kind enough to put in the winning bid for a 2-game auction of both bioshock and gears of war.

My wife roooles.

Sorry to hear 3 didn't quite do it for you. Me, I don't need the game to re-invent the wheel, I just want to play out a great story with the mechanics I love. After that, i'll be gunning for Half Life 2 Orange.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears of War is another great (and fairly long) game, so I'm sure that and Bioshock will keep you busy for a while. I wouldn't say Halo 3 is a bust by any means. The gameplay is still plenty fun. I just thought the short campaign and murky storyline kind of sold the game short of it's full potential. Granted, it has new tools like the Forge and the Theater which allow you to edit multiplayer maps or go back and watch your campaign playthough from an adjustable third person perspective - but fuck, I barely have time to play the goddamn game, much less mess around with all that shit. That's for teenage nerds on summer vacation who have nothing better to do than spend 10 hours a day in front of the xbox (god how I envy them sometimes).

anyway, enjoy the Bioshock. And just out of curiosity, are you being good to the little sisters, or are you being naughty? Wink (I've done both, and I think the good ending is far more rewarding)
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My situation is the same as yours- barely time for the one-player storyline much less online nonsense- so for me the bells and whistles on Halo 3 for multiplayer aren't my motivating factor.

On Bioshock, I've barely started- I'm trying to rescue my radio contact's family, and just picked up my second plasmid (the fire).

I always play good guy first, then go back and play bad guy. Did it with KOTR I and II, gonna do it with BioShock- so for now, the little sisters have nothing to fear from me. But I haven't gotten to any point where I'm really interacting with them.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I usually do the same - good first, evil second playthorugh (if I make it that far). To be honest, I'd play it through once as good, and then let it rest for a while. I made the mistake of playing it back to back and got burned out from having to hack something every 5 minutes.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty close to how I roll- for instance, I finished KOTR II about 3-4 months ago (maybe more actually)- playing the good guy. Then I started up the campaign to play evil but I've let it lie for a good long time, starting GTA San Andreas and now Bioshock.

I think I'll probably revisit KOTR sometime next year and see if playing bad will make the tepid ending any better- it was so stunningly disappointing and uneventful I was shocked considering how good the rest of the game was.
basujunera0610

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello guys ...

its really nice post....

i just liked it....

thanks....
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why why why are the only commenters we attract on a regular basis monosyllabic simpletons or shills? I mean, with the lack of traffic we have on the forums, why would these idiots even want to go through the effort of getting a link up?
nandini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you put voices in machinimas on Halo 3? Sice the new update on bungie if you get bungie pro, you can now make machinimas. How do I put voices in the machinima because i want to make machinimas on halo 3.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: