eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 10 most overhyped movie flops of all time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: The 10 most overhyped movie flops of all time Reply with quote

The List

Debate.

For starters, "Heaven's Gate" is MIA, which I still can't understand. Then there seem to be a few contradictions in what the author thinks is a flop, especially since he oscillates between artistic and commercial considerations. The Star Wars prequels might have been huge artistic failures, but they were cash cows. Ditto with the Matrix sequels, but Jackson's "King Kong" has been well received, and the previous remakes were nothing compared to some of the later "Jaws" entries.

I haven't seen any new theatrical release in 2007, but no matter how much "The Golden Compass" might be a failure, I don't really think it compares with a few of the legendary flops cited in there ("Bonfire", for instance).

Schumacher made a few decent films, but M. Night deserves every bit of mud thrown his way. Easier for me to forgive a hack than a self-proclaimed auteur.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather watch Heaven's Gate again than most of what's on this list.

Yeah, the writer should've stuck with box-office flops. Or written a separate piece on money-making flicks that still sucked. Even so, this is still pretty much exactly like 500 other articles on the same topic. The usual suspects are hauled out and whipped.

The 1976 King Kong wasn't really that big of a financial flop. It made about $160 million in 2008 dollars, which isn't that bad. It made back more than twice its budget domestically, which is more than you can say for the Peter Jackson version.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Heaven's Gate, are we ever going to see that documentary of the making-of this studio-bankrupting disaster that was screened at film festivals 3 or 4 years ago? Speaking freely, no critic knows more about the behind-the-scenes of this film than I do -- Stephen Bach's book Final Cut should be read by every film student, and the film most definitely should be mandatory viewing as well. Hell, I've averred in my review of it that it's the worst film ever made and yet still owned the LaserDisc back in the day and am eagerly awaiting an anamorphic transfer on DVD. Why? Because there's a perverse fascination in the whole thing, like seeing one of the most beautiful-looking things fall off a cliff with delusions of grandeur.
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never fully understood the blockbuster mentality that rules Hollywood.

I mean, I understand wanting to make tonsa money. That's not exactly a big mystery. Especially when you consider that the overhead at the big studios is so huge that it costs a fortune just to keep the lights turned on year round.

But what I don't get is spending so much on a film that half the planet has to see it before you can break even. Lots of people shelled out cash to watch Evan Almighty, Rush Hour 3, and The Golden Compass, but they were so expensive that they didn't net all that much. Evan is considered a disaster even though it crossed the $100 million threshold domestically.

It seems to me that a better business model would be to produce mid-budget films and try to promote them into hits. If you fail, no big loss; succeed, and you're rolling in pure profit. And either way, you don't get mentioned on lists like this for the next 20 years.

UDM
WSSlover

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UDM wrote:

I mean, I understand wanting to make tonsa money. That's not exactly a big mystery. Especially when you consider that the overhead at the big studios is so huge that it costs a fortune just to keep the lights turned on year round.

But what I don't get is spending so much on a film that half the planet has to see it before you can break even. Lots of people shelled out cash to watch Evan Almighty, Rush Hour 3, and The Golden Compass, but they were so expensive that they didn't net all that much. Evan is considered a disaster even though it crossed the $100 million threshold domestically.

It seems to me that a better business model would be to produce mid-budget films and try to promote them into hits. If you fail, no big loss; succeed, and you're rolling in pure profit. And either way, you don't get mentioned on lists like this for the next 20 years.

UDM
Your first sentence says it all, in a nutshell. Nowadays, the
in-vogue thing to do is to make money hand over fist, and, if the "blockbuster mentality" that exists in Hollywood is any indication, the movie industry is certainly no exception. This "blockbuster" mentality always has existed in Hollywood, but it's especially prevalent nowadays. Anything that sells is good to go.
smrtpants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UDM wrote:

UDM

yeahsobut,

the thing is that some of those big budgets are all top heavy, as in a-t-l costs (above-the-line=writer/development/prod/star) which are often negotiated in such a way that even 'back-end' deals are costed to the production as opposed to a distributor/broadcaster cost which doesn't hit the production costs...

...this in turn allows a movie that grosses tons at the box office, yet compared to the 'prod costs' not so much, to not have to claim that (taxable) revenue which in turn still puts lotsa money in the exec producer's, etc., pockets...

sometimes the net result is better for the studio than having a film that goes down in history as a blockbuster...
Blank Frank

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UDM wrote:

UDM

Isn't that what each of these gawdawful "____ Movie" movies do? I've heard they're made on a (relatively) small budget and massively hyped the week before release; they recoup the ~$20mil on the opening weekend, and anything else they make as they plummet off the face of the box office is just gravy on the cake. Thus, they're able to make their next low-brow low-budget production and continue the cycle of woe and misery.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blank Frank wrote:
UDM wrote:

UDM

Isn't that what each of these gawdawful "____ Movie" movies do?

Pretty much. Quality aside, the genres with the most effective cost-to-profit ratio are comedies and horror. All you need for a comedy is stupid slapstick. All you need for horror is shit jumping out at you every ten minutes.

Well, obviously that's not all you need for a good comedy or horror flick. But it apparently fills the requirements of the undemanding Saturday-night teen crowds that make crap like Meet the Spartans or Prom Night #1 on their opening weekends. Point is, it doesn't cost much to make a lowest-common-denominator comedy/horror (or, hey, both!) with no stars and a lot of slapstick/jump scares.

Generally you don't see many horror films or comedies on these "biggest flops" lists. There are certainly exceptions Ishtar (expensive stars, indecisive director going way over schedule and budget) or Evan Almighty (lots of pricey CGI) for comedies, though I can't think of many horror films that qualify as bona fide expensive flops (maybe the Haunting remake?) but generally comedies and horror are good business, always have been and always will be. Just ask Roger Corman.

----------
WSSlover

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the film Gosford Park was a highly overrated flop.
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WSSlover wrote:
I thought the film Gosford Park was a highly overrated flop.

"Overrated" is subject to opinion, but it wasn't a flop. It made $45 million -- three times its budget and a solid showing for an art-house film.
Hillary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanna talk flop?
Gigli.
Stardust.
Stealth.
Catwoman.
the one with the two first american idol winners, i can't even remember the title.

i like the new King Kong movie, it was majorly underappreciated, but also majorly over-budgeted.
The Postman sucked.

But I have to disagree about M. Night Shyamalan. I like his movies. Except maybe Lady in the Water. That one's iffy.

Otherwise, the list is basically right.
smrtpants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there will be blood.

>>>

...come on, it's like PTA stopped doing whatever substances made his other movies great...

...i am rarely this disappointed (in a film) or can find so few redemptive qualities in such an over-spent delusion of dullness...

>>>

to quote/paraphrase 'burn after reading': "report back to me after it makes sense..."
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw it, and I heard about most of the hype regarding it, and since you guys know a bit more, was Inchon also an overhyped flop?

Also, ain't it weird (and the writer mentions this) that despite the negative publicity and shit, Waterworld for all it's crappiness, isn't necessarily as bad as its reputation precedes it?

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug Waterworld, maybe because I was expecting it to suck worse than any movie has sucked before.

In retrospect, it's easy to see that it was Costner's turn for a press backlash. Most of what went wrong during production wasn't Costner's or anyone else's fault.

Haven't watched it since it came out, though. One of those flicks where once you've seen it, you've seen it.

----------
StingChameleon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two movies have have made me feel like I want to kill myself. Alien Vs. Predator and Indy 4.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: