eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Like X-Men what power would you like to have if you could..?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tisha_b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Like X-Men what power would you like to have if you could..? Reply with quote

Like X-Men what power would you like to have if you could...

i would love to have the power of invisibility...
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

part of what makes the X-men compelling, or most of the superheroes for that matter, is they don't get to choose their powers.
petersob
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power to properly fit Halle Berry's wig
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power to get ridden by Rebecca Romijn's blue mystique...

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
fishi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would want a power to read the minds of people...
Wud b fun*
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop responding to these shills.
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik The Movieman wrote:
Stop responding to these shills.

As much as I think they are shills (but you know better, since you have fancy voodoo forum powers to see their IP addresses), I'm not sure that they'd ever be taken seriously even by the people they're trying to reach.

So I do believe that fun-poking is in order here. And if confirmed to be Fox shills, why, I think we should take this opportunity to bring forth every bad film Fox has made in recent memory.
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need IP voodoo to recognize that when someone just appears on the message board and starts up multiple threads about X-Men and Night at the Museum they are most likely a Fox shill.

And while we respect the embargoes they put in place concerning our reviews I'm not about to give them a free pass to place these cheap fucks on our message boards to pimp their shit.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things Erik:

1- they are shilling to critics which is the dumbest fucking waste of time considering the people here will see film with or without her inane blather egging them on- because they are film critics and they certainly won't be swayed by her arguments of "Hugh es kewl"- they'll murder this piece of shit film on its own merits (or demerits).

2- I won't be seeing Wolverine- so whether she posts or not, she's failed with me personally. Of course, I came to that decision without taking any of fishi or tishi or krishie's crap into account.

Sight unseen, I can already tell you exactly why this movie will unhinge its jaw and partake deeply of the hairy root- In fact, I'm going to review it right now without having seen anything beyond an extended trailer and I'm willing to bet my review is going to match the general content of anybody's review here that will actually see the film.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine suffers the same flaw as two of its fellow Marvel films, X-Men 3: Brett Ratner Sniffs His Used Socks While Watching two Wilshire Blvd. Hookers Eat Ass Every Evening Instead of Analyzing the Script He's Filming and Spider Man 3: Peter Parker Takes Off His Mask in the Middle of a Fight and Cries Like A Bitch... Again. The flaw? Shoehorning the content of two or three films into the running time of one, not even a problem specific to Marvel as their Distinguished Competition has also made this blunder time and time again- witness the mess that is Batman Returns an ambitious failure that set the stage for the two horrific sequels that would bash the franchise into a decade-long coma.

Its odd that this flaw still exists considering the very best superhero films of recent memory junked this idea and enjoyed great financial success and critical acclaim (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, two Spidey and X-films). Unfortunately the prevailing logic in every six out of ten Marvel properties appears to be the belief that by showcasing morph-effects, wire-work, two scoops of characters comic fans will recognize despite having no place in the larger story, and tying all of that together with three or four popular storylines explored in the comics (when said storylines were separate entities, carefully planned and given time to follow their arcs as books) they'll make their bank and the hell with everything else. Result? X-Men Origins: Wolverine blows.

Its sad. Wolverine is a compelling character; compelling when his background was a complete mystery, even to him, and compelling when the truth of his beginnings is known as we watch him struggle with his long, tormented history. But in order to pierce the character's heart, we have to take time delve into that history, not just blast through a rough timeline of pivotal events like a demented log flume ride at a theme park, taking momentary pauses to have an special effect roar at us before splashing through to the end. I see two well-told films to be made- Wolverine: Origin, where the character learns at a very young age that he is different and must struggle to cope and survive, and Weapon X:, where having made some measure of peace with what he is, finds himself taken against his will and made even deadlier, wiping out progress, identity, the hope for a normal life, and then the long climb to reclaim his humanity. The first X-men film provided pathos for Logan in the first fifteen minutes, showing him tired and alone, brawling in the cold for beer money, feeling the healed over yet aching wounds in his hands after his claws have been sheathed.

But that is not the style of filmmaking here. Instead we go back to the tried and untrue formula of throwing a ton of things at a wall and seeing what sticks. Fanboys will gasp in the pleasure of recognition and butter their popcorn as Gambit, Emma Frost, and somebody that's supposed to be Deadpool briefly parade across the screen, they will get echoes of a few familiar plots they've eagerly devoured in their comic form, unaware that they have in fact been distracted and cheated out of a truly involving experience where we might have been touched by the horror that is Logan's life and inspired by his refusal to surrender to loss, to savagery, to unimaginable pain and despair. Further, since this is a prequel, everyone going in knows the path of the principal characters- particularly amongst the lead adversaries- so if there's no real surprise or twist, the film's spine should be a character piece of the motivations of all involved and why their lives must follow the paths we know they will take. And the audience members going in with no sense of the comic or movies that have come before? Well, they're gonna be pissed.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine should be a tragedy. It should be a tale of redemption. It should be a tale of revenge. If you don't have the intellect to competently make a film encompassing all of these themes, then recognize that, pick one of these aspects, and do it well. Don't throw them all into the grinder and add a battle royale of empty characters on top of it, expecting anyone to give a shit. By the way, making it a character piece doesn't make it boring, it doesn't take away the necessity of computer wizardry, or good fight choreography- I'm eschewing none of that. But as we've learned time and time again, effects can't be the point of the exercise if we want to feel something from a story. All you are going to feel here is the disappointment of a character shorted a good story by giving us a long, ill-concieved script slathered with shiny dross.

Hey, if I haven't seen it, do I have to embargo this? Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: