eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Thing's" to Come

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the new "THE THING" movie have consisted of an "All Male" cast as did the '80s version?
DAMN SKIPPY! That was an important element of the story.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It would've been the preferred option, but not really all that important.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't really care one way or the other and/or it doesn't really make a difference.
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Including women is a good thing (no pun intended), especially if hey can kick some ass like Ellen Ripley & Sarah Conner.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The more females, the better! Women Rock!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
All I wanna know is, Will we get to see any "Boobies"?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

Ace-of-Stars
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: "Thing's" to Come Reply with quote

Saw the preview trailer to the new "THE THING" movie a few hours ago; formulated an expressed opinion on it before thinking about researching more into it; modified that original opinion, as the trailer gave several false impressions about the story (which seems to suggest the movie is another "remake/reimagining" rather than the "prequel" other sources indicate that it is).

One opinion has not changed, however... and that involves the inclusion of WOMEN in the cast. And not just "any" women, but the ever ubiquitous "too gorgeous to be taken seriously" designer women! On this, I'm crying, "DOUBLE-FOUL"! (first foul for the inclusion of any women at all; the second for making any women they did include impossibly alluring for the setting)

This is just another example of playing up to certain elements of the masses by needlessly injecting the worn-out "Token Female" concept where the theme & atmosphere of the story does not warrant it!

Am I the only one who feels that this is an afront to the spirit & integrity of the *original classic? (*Note: this is of course assuming one does not consider the James Arness '50s sci-fi offering as the "original")

I also took issue with the idea that there was an "American" team working with the Norwegian camp, which runs inconsistant with the Carpenter version.

Anyone else want to chime in on this?
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: I'm likely never going to complain about Mary Elizabeth Winstead being in a movie. Well, maybe in a "this doesn't deserve her" way, but the jury's still out on that.

Second: I tend to favor remakes and sequels doing something different. We've seen John Carpenter's take on the story, which pointedly did not include women, but that's no reason that this one has to do it the same way.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Upcoming Movies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: