eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ramblings
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Ramblings Reply with quote

This is today's lone journal entry, and I thought I'd fulfill the need to post it out in the open while simultaneously creating a subsection for this forum wherein people can just post about whatever the fuck's on their minds. I might decide none of this was necessary and delete this, though...it's open for debate. Lotta shit is anymore.

~~~

Yeah, October's here and all that stuff, but I just ain't feeling it. I'm nailed so firmly down in my own little world, I wouldn't be surprised if the new "spicy" shades of autumn were conspiring to burn off my fucking tongue. It's like, I can handle reality, but only selectively. I'm comfortable with the slow expansion of my hips (it makes me feel like a true pioneer to revel in my decadence while society around me preaches endless sermons speedbumped with buzzwords like "discipline" and "deprivation")...and I'm cocooned tightly in that reluctant juggernaut we refer to snidely as "unconditional love." But everything else has been transferred to a distant back burner. I don't want to talk about current events and I don't give a damn about how I'm filling in these days and nights of solitude...because everything I do is just a metaphorical version of St Elmo's Fire minus the lightshow or anything meaningful...there's nothing especially deep about killing time, only that I'm usually as creative about slaughtering hours as Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers were when it came to fileting horny teenagers.

I stand up at my living room window, momentarily free from this cluttered desk packed with weary dog-eared Jane back issues and other equally decrepit reading materials, staring out the window at one of many Asheville streets without motion...Little Chicago without so much as a breeze. Clouds carpet the sky as if the sun's experiencing technical difficulties. The horizon seems clogged with mountains and trees--rather than representing the horizon itself--and even though they're not without beauty, birds don't give a damn about the ornamental meshwork of their cages...only that they're being held in captivity. I stare out at this isolated slice of Buncombe County and I'm pretty sure that this is life after Pause and before Play, for the benefit of people like me...with our restless pens/processors and paintbrushes and photographic trigger-fingers. The images are modest and strangely idyllic, but a heart seething with sinister power waits beneath them. Anti-gloss...the world is LIQUID. And due for a shift, a drop, a rogue tsunami.

My name is Danielle Ophelia. Yes, for all intents and purposes, that is my real name, my full name. What follows it is a simple and simplistic matter of genetic conformity and legal identification that's going to be sliced away sometime in the future regardless. It's not that I want to dissociate myself from my family cult or anything quite so melodramatic...I just don't want that monosyllabic five-letter menace to impersonalize me the way it does some people. I've seen Cube. Call me crazy, but it just feels so...inorganic, so INHUMAN...to see someone's surname embroidered on their clothes while being left in the dark about what proceeds it.

It's not a common practice, but from what I understand, while a parent is concocting a series of street names to place on their newborn infant, there's no law against adding an original last name while they're at it.

I'm twenty-five years old, and I'm an aspiring writer. My passion is horror, despite the realm of irrational fears brought to life being the most difficult genre to work in...because we're all scared by different things. One person's nightmare is another person's punchline. I'll merely be crafting a skeleton...it's up to you to flesh it out with your own psyche and deem it "scary" or not.

And the time spent trying to embody the person I am today and the person I've yet to become has been a motherfucking immortal pain in the ass.

There, I said it.

I've had to leech my way into a few epiphanies and pivotal moments without even knowing it, so if you want to call me a parasite, be my guest. I'm not quite clinically insane yet, knock some wood, but that assessment has been questioned many times in the past, and I can't say I blame the majority of the skeptics. I've never been a fan of personal strife in the name of breakthrough; I've never aspired to endure adversity whether it was a karmic obligation or not, and I'd hate to meet the kind of moron who would. But I understand the inevitability of it all, so it's cool.

My head's starting to hurt.

I eat Chinese food fairly often...once or twice a week, on average. One of these days I'm going to break open that pleated almond-paste cookie at the end of the meal, and my entire life story is going to fall out into my lap. Just because I'm willing it to do so.

Don't ask me what the point to all this is...it was hard enough making some of these words lie flat.

Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Confused Cool Laughing Mad Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink Exclamation Question Idea Arrow

Last edited by Danielle Ophelia on Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Charles Tatum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:56 am    Post subject: Damn Danielle Reply with quote

I once broke open a fortune cookie, and my life story did fall out. Unfortunately, they did not have to change the size of the slip of paper inside. I get the feeling you are writing what a whole lotta people are feeling.

Charles
The Guv'nor
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened a fortune cookie six months ago, and it said "You will always get what you want through your charm and personality". Three hours later, I got punched in the face at a nightclub.

I am not making this up.

Guv
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: More Ramblings Reply with quote

It's snowing like a motherfucker right now. I stepped outside in my noisy parrot pajamas with the almost-severed sleeve to test the texture and found it to be about the consistency of frozen vomit, which may charm a backyard war or two in the next few hours. The weather owes me that much for cutting me off from a few miscellaneous things I needed to do today, but having two days left to check off any lingering matters, I'm nowhere near panic. Appalachia snuggled under a fine sheet of snow is a beautiful place, a frosted mosiac of theatrical purity. I can just see the cloud-swallowed Blue Ridge rising above the glittering white chessboard of my neighborhood, each peak vivacious or menacing or strangely melancholy yet blank, staring off into space as if they've confused their heavy granite hearts with nobility. It's kinda nice to see everything so manufactured and middle class cuffed by a big wet winter scab.

Speaking of scabs, I was on my way to the garage for another six-pack of Coke when, for some reason, I broke into a jog and clumped into a waiting pool of ice that shuttled my legs backward with a velocity I'd rather not calcualte. A layer or two of my right thigh was indifferently removed; I spent about tenty minutes perched on the edge of the bathtub and rinsing away residual pebbles and other assorted debris. A thin layer of yellowish slime oozed over the rawest patches and cut off their air supply.

I hope this will be gone by Sunday. It probably will if I sit on my hands and resist the urge to pick at it, though I'll likely fall prey to the beckoning finger of an itch at least once.

Not that I'm going to let a fucking injury deter me from the r/t merge heard 'round the world wide web.

More than anything, I just want to get my ass up to Massachusetts and stick the ignition key into my new life. The actual moment of departure will be the most difficult part for me, but it'll also be out of the way rather quickly. I'm not so preoccupied with what I'll miss anymore so much as what I'll be glad to peel away from my mind like big wet slabs of thought-rot. I'm sick of North Carolina and its misguided/overbearing parasite politics, I'm sick of Asheville and its bloodwhorish hit-or-miss cultural lucidity, I'm sick of watching tourist traps growing fat and happy on the milk of human inanity, I'm sick of my parents and they way they cruelly demand me to value the windfall over the wind, and I'm sick of pretending to be emotionally numb in the face of my feelings at their peak intensity. I'll be leaving an ignorant playground of splendor and eyesores, a swarming hive bruised indifferently by emptiness, cold and suggestive as a crime scene. I'm looking forward to sitting still and watching as the world slides by, the slideshow of of scenery framed haphazardly by windows. I will not draw my curtain shut.

I noticed something this morning as I was being all meglomaniacal and interrogating a local LJ friend on intensely personal matters. Slice off the "t" in "trust" and you get..."rust." Strangely metaphorical, that.
Blood Red Roy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Well... Reply with quote

I'm in a bit of a mood myself. Christmas is coming, a time of family, joy, and reconcilation. The gifts don't interest me - the bonds I've forged with others is my only strength, the only thing I truely value.

But sometimes things go wrong - words mispoke, actions done without thought. And this is the time to strengthen your bonds, to heal those you have hurt, to lighten their hearts burden and to lighten your own as well.

To tell those you care about that you are sorry.

And perhaps this is the season, in the dying time of nature, to be redeemed and reborn yourself.

Much joy to you Danielle and all this season. May we all find shelter from our troubles, allies to help overcome our demons. and maybe, just maybe, tear down our walls and be who we really are.

royhsmithjr@hotmail.com
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guv'nor wrote:
I opened a fortune cookie six months ago, and it said "You will always get what you want through your charm and personality". Three hours later, I got punched in the face at a nightclub.

I am not making this up.

Guv

Best. Story. Ever.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dani,

You still use IM?

I'm under an old handle and I didn't want you to commit suicide thinking I'd blocked you.

Ha. Me funny.
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I do...but I won't have it after tomorrow, as Michael can't download AIM on his computer.

And don't worry, that's NOT what I thought. I just figured you were taking a break from the whole IM scene.

Take it easy...
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, eh? Very cool.

Drop me an email when you get some time, girl.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm, interesting Wink

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: Contact/Pattern Reply with quote

SCOTT: Right on...I'll drop you a line or give ya a ring ASAP.

ROY: How stupid do you think I am? Southern does not automatically translate to "sucker."
sledgehammer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:57 am    Post subject: hey....hi..... Reply with quote

*is the Michael in question*

yesandbutALSO.....

*has been given clearance to post the following as a) what i hope will be an effective intro, and b)what i know to be absofrikinlutely true.*

Danielle Ophelia gives GREAT head.

thank you. we now return you to your regularly sledgefilled bitchslapping.

~
Ben
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: hey....hi..... Reply with quote

sledgehammer wrote:
*is the Michael in question*
*has been given clearance to post the following as a) what i hope will be an effective intro, and b)what i know to be absofrikinlutely true.*

Danielle Ophelia gives GREAT head.

well, yeah, that was quite an effective intro... assuming you want people to think you're a 15 year old retard.

guess what? we all have sex lives. no one cares about yours.

love,

me.
sledgehammer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, mr. ben.

only the sexually frustrated respond that way.

FYI, I was TOLD to say that. we thought it was FUNNY. funny, as in.....HUMOUR???

also FYI, I'm not 15, i'm 32. and I'm pretty sure i could run intelligence-rings around you.

perhaps you need to learn how to have fun.

OR, perhaps you just need a blowjob.

also ALSO FYI, FUCK YOU.
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, grow the fuck up. The only things Michael and I are conceptually guilty of are bad taste and arrogance. And it's not as though either of those things are especially rare within this forum.
Blood Red Roy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: My bad. Reply with quote

Sorry you felt insulted. Once again I ignored my natural instinct and paid a price. Will not intrude again.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd like more details about why the head is so great.

And yes, I am sexually frustrated.
sledgehammer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU. for finding something to laugh at in that post.

PEOPLE TAKE ME TOO SERIOUSLY....will undoubtedly be my frickin' epitaph.
sledgehammer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: PS Reply with quote

far as what constitutes greatness...in my (chronically unlucky) experience, there seemed to be an ability to realise that there is a limit to 'wet is wonderful'. at a certain point, you cant feel jack anymore. theres a REASON guys tend to shrink in a pool. water=very easy to overdo.

balance. thats what makes the Unhindered Snakes of Danielle Ophelia the greatest nation on earth.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balance is good. As for my epitaph, I want it to read "Beneath this sod lies another"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sledgehammer wrote:
well, mr. ben.

FYI, I was TOLD to say that. we thought it was FUNNY. funny, as in.....HUMOUR???

also FYI, I'm not 15, i'm 32. and I'm pretty sure i could run intelligence-rings around you.

perhaps you need to learn how to have fun.

OR, perhaps you just need a blowjob.

also ALSO FYI, FUCK YOU.

damn, you're a jackass. ben was funny, you were rude. here's a quarter, buy a sense of humor.
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was me. damned login.
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sledgehammer wrote:
well, mr. ben.

and I'm pretty sure i could run intelligence-rings around you.

Told? So you're a puppet? Interesting.

As for intelligence rings... Did you graduate college with a double major in Math and Computer Science at the age of 20? Didn't think so.

Danielle Ophelia wrote:
The only things Michael and I are conceptually guilty of are bad taste and arrogance.

Don't forget the enormous amounts of self absorption! Smile

PS - Jane Pratt is a name dropping hack.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone on this site would make a lot of money betting on themselves in a battle of wits with senor toads.

But then, only the intelligent would bother to check first before making the initial claim. Evil or Very Mad
sporkgirl
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, no, ben is dumb and all, but to say he doesn't get LAID, i mean come ON, be serious. Very Happy haha ben don't smack me with your giant brain please i was kidding.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: