eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE SUSPENSE!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't even wait in line for a coffee at Starbucks.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
My couch is available for anyone who needs it.

The only solace I can find in all this is that it sets the table for an Edwards/Obama Presidential ticket in 2008.

Jeeeeeez, Chris. I was scanning the classifieds in the Vancouver Sun at 10p last night, when I looked at the temp at the top of the page -- only 6 frigging degrees! I like cold weather, but, hell, man, I didn't know it got that cold in Vancouver so early. Oh, and I'm making out my resume tonight, and faxing that and about 4 training certificates I got from FEMA as a customer-service representative to some employers in Vancouver. Hopefully, once they learn I took phone applications for 9/11 victims for a year, they'll say to themselves, "Hey, if he did that, he can handle any irate caller!"

Oh, and when you have electronic voting machines, they can be programmed to come out any damn way desired. That's why I'm for the old-fashioned way -- punch-card ballots, where there's a physical, indisputable record of the vote. Unfortunately, too many Americans can't fucking be bothered with punching the stylus all the way through and making sure the chad is completely gone.
lindy03

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Sommersby wrote:
I was scanning the classifieds in the Vancouver Sun at 10p last night, when I looked at the temp at the top of the page -- only 6 frigging degrees! I like cold weather, but, hell, man, I didn't know it got that cold in Vancouver so early.
Jack Cool Either you are kidding or...you did know that Canada uses celsius, right? You know, along with the rest of the world. Cause it's only the United States that has never converted to measuring the way the rest of the world does.

Jack Sommersby wrote:
Oh, and I'm making out my resume tonight
Me too, me too!! I have resumes!! Where do I send them?
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luscious Lindy,

Either you are kidding or...you did know that Canada uses celsius, right? You know, along with the rest of the world. Cause it's only the United States that has never converted to measuring the way the rest of the world does.

1. I knew that -- Iwas just testing anyone who might not know, OK? Rolling Eyes

2. Either you're kidding or you must be in want of some bare-butt spankings being that you've dared to correct the Studmuffin in front of everyone. Tsk, tsk. Confused

Me too, me too!! I have resumes!! Where do I send them?

Go to the Vancouver Sun's classified section, and look under the job postings. Unlike here in Denton, there's actually a lot of 'em.

Everyone,

Ari Berman of The Nation summed the election up beautifully in his latest article, with this last paragraph espeically dead-on:

"Republicans drove up turnout by hammering John Kerry as a gay-loving, terror- capitulating Massachusetts liberal who'd impose the social values of Boston and San Francisco on all of America. It worked. The party that favors passing a Constitutional amendment that would explicitly withdraw rights from a group of people for the first time in American history now has a stranglehold on "moral values." The party that failed to take actions that could have helped prevent 9/11 and strengthened Al- Qaeda by invading Iraq is the only one who can defend America from terrorism in the voters minds. In this party, ignorance is strength."
Lurk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, new neighbours!!! I wasn't kidding about the free room and I have lots of Hallowe'en candy left over. Laughing

If any of you are interested in tech jobs the best website is
http://www.bctechnology.com/

This is website from Human Resources Canada which would be good to check out. You would also be able to get some info about working in Canada.
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Search_en.asp?ProvId=10&Student=false

Don't worry Jack I will buy you some mittens and earmuffs to keep you warm.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurk,

Don't worry Jack I will buy you some mittens and earmuffs to keep you warm.

That's not exactly what I wanted from you to keep me warm -- especially at night.

Twisted Evil

And before I take the free room, you've gotta understand the Studmuffin's prone to sleepwalking. So, you know, if you're awoken in the middle of the night by me getting into your bed, it's not intentional. Trust me.

Rolling Eyes

Everyone,

Group Tallies More Than 1,100 E-Voting Glitches

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2004/1103grouptalli.html

"The problems I, for one, worry about are the problems that are not yet evident," Felten said.

Mad

Last edited by Jack Sommersby on Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is bullshit.

In the end, the American people sold off on their blind and ignorant patriotism instead of looking at the facts and voted for this fuck-o.

Furthermore proves that America is a nation of morons and sheep.

In the end, what the hell am I rambling about? I'm a foreigner, so I don't give a shit about this. Fuck it.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's make sure we all remember, Bush got 51% of the vote. That hardly designates the entire nation as morons. Half the country, sure. The thing that's going to drive me crazy is the administration's "mandate." Last time they claimed a mandate for change even thought they didn't even win the popular vote. What will they do now that they won by a thin margin?

I'm holding out for a 1994 repeat in 2006. Turn 'em out.

-M

-V
lindy03

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maegs wrote:
Let's make sure we all remember, Bush got 51% of the vote. That hardly designates the entire nation as morons. Half the country, sure. The thing that's going to drive me crazy is the administration's "mandate." Last time they claimed a mandate for change even thought they didn't even win the popular vote. What will they do now that they won by a thin margin?

-M
Here Here!!!!!

I've been hearing about the mandate since early, early Wed. I didn't vote for him!!! Don't speak for me!!!(Bush, not you, Maegs) There's already some new article about shrub saying that all Americans embrace his conservatism. Put the brakes on that one!! Nuh uh, no way!! 51% is meager. See, Bush really does the fuzzy math.

Oh, and I say the Dems ought to go after him with everything they've got, just like the Repubs spent 8 years & our tax dollars going after Clinton. What goes around, comes around. Normally, I hate that sort of thing. But, under these circumstances? Well, why not?
lindy03

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Sommersby wrote:
1. I knew that -- Iwas just testing anyone who might not know, OK? Rolling Eyes
Oh, shut up.

How's that for a snappy comeback? Hey, I've had a long day Razz I am not always at the top of my snappy game.

Jack Sommersby wrote:
2. Either you're kidding or you must be in want of some bare-butt spankings being that you've dared to correct the Studmuffin in front of everyone. Tsk, tsk. Confused
Gracious!! Embarassed I think I'm too young for this conversation.

HAHAHAHAHA! Someday, you will figure out that I am damn funny! Or, I'll just try this...Freak!

Jack Sommersby wrote:
Go to the Vancouver Sun's classified section, and look under the job postings. Unlike here in Denton, there's actually a lot of 'em.
Oh, I think that applies to anywhere...and, they are normally old ads, by the time the paper comes out, aren't they? However, Thank You for the info!

I just read a whole article on the "religious divide." It even implied that the Dems should be doing more for the religious. To which I say...start another party or two. You can't be pleasing all of these people under just two banners.
lindy03

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natasha_theobald wrote:
Jon Stewart was looking at the map on their live show, talking about people in New England huddling together there for another four years.
I saw the map(not that moment on his show) and had that thought. And, the west coast, all alone...those 3 states, alone. It looked odd.

I wish someone could explain this to me. Could help me to understand. It couldn't possibly be, not after all of this time, about religion. Tell me this election did not boil down to an organized/extreme right religious (excluding those that I think of as Christian) exercise in voting.
lindy03

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natasha_theobald wrote:
My five year old was so involved in this election, we didn't know how to break it to him that Bush won. His dad would teasingly call him a flip-flopper, and he would answer, "No, I misled you." He asked questions and took a genuine interest in the process. He wanted to know what the figures they used meant, like 1.4 million jobs. I am as upset for his hopes being dashed as I am for my own.
Oh!! Bless your hearts!! How did it go? Did you tell him? Is he all right? Are you all right? You can always let him know that there are a bunch more grownups who will cry with him, if he needs to.

It's so great that you're doing this him...carry that with you. I'm doing everything I can to sort it all out. But, it's those kinds of things that help.

I spoke with my son today (he's 20, in college). He sounded so down about the election, too. You & your family are not alone!
lindy03

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurk wrote:
This is website from Human Resources Canada which would be good to check out. You would also be able to get some info about working in Canada.
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Search_en.asp?ProvId=10&Student=false
OOOOO! Great info...thank you!

I talked with my son (like I said in that last post) ...he's so funny. He got all excited about the prospect of moving to Canada. Heehee! My daughter would be seriously upset. But, my son was very excited. I don't know that he was thinking beyond "Canada must be pretty." It was pretty funny, though Very Happy
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to condemn people who vote for Bush, I mean... I almost did! It was funny in that voting booth... it was like Chris was on my right shoulder: "you know what to do..." and my party was on my left shoulder... "be loyal"... he he

BUT I will say that there are a great deal of Bush supporters that aren't ignorant, but kind ignoring the facts/complexities, who simply don't like Kerry for really unclear reasons... I think they are so against "liberal" ideas, that they'll do anything to keep Sen. Kerry out of the White House. And that saddens me a bit, I'll have to say. I think though, there is also a since of different voters operating on different information and starkly different political ideals for America.
lindy03

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
I am not going to condemn people who vote for Bush, I mean... I almost did! It was funny in that voting booth... it was like Chris was on my right shoulder: "you know what to do..." and my party was on my left shoulder... "be loyal"... he he
heehee!

Laura wrote:
BUT I will say that there are a great deal of Bush supporters that aren't ignorant, but kind ignoring the facts/complexities, who simply don't like Kerry for really unclear reasons... I think they are so against "liberal" ideas, that they'll do anything to keep Sen. Kerry out of the White House. And that saddens me a bit, I'll have to say. I think though, there is also a since of different voters operating on different information and starkly different political ideals for America.
Yes, I know *sigh* I work with a bunch of really smart Republicans who voted for Bush. Many of these same people were completely undone over Bill Clinton & the whole mess with Monica, blabla. I just don't understand...isn't lying still lying, no matter what the person lies about? So, it's okay when Bush lies because he wears the label of Republican, but it's not okay when it's Clinton?

I wish there were more choices. Every election year, I always want more choices. Until this election, I thought of myself as an independent. I would outlaw abortion, if I could(completely unrealistic, I know). Be fiscally responsibile. Big, big, big with the environment. Marriage for gays.

So, where is my candidate?

Anyway, my personal feeling is this...I never liked Bush from his first appearance. I was shocked when he became the candidate. Even more shocked when he was elected. Completely shocked and appalled that he has been re-elected. I don't see how the religious could turn a blind eye to Bush's lying. And, saying that "everyone lies" is not an answer. Yes, at some point, we all do. But, what are lying about? Bill Clinton type lies about cheating on a spouse(bad, for sure), or Bush lies...1,000+ US troops dead in Iraq (not one funeral has this man been to...just how does he sleep??), take the biggest surplus, turn it into the biggest deficit, etc. It just doesn't make sense to me. Where is my country???
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would outlaw abortion, if I could(completely unrealistic, I know).

Didn't expect that one.

Let's see... my ideal candidate:

reform the schools - encourage public single-sex education, transfer taxes out of certain welfare systems to decrease college tuition, raise academic standards tremendously

get the gov't out of social issues like gay marriage, abortion

develop a conscious, though fiscally reasonable, plan to sustain the environment, and keep america as independently efficient as possible - i mean who doesn't want new (and better yet - clean) energy?

allow guns

give incentives to small and big business

cut taxes, decrease gov't spending in many of the social areas, paving the way for private charities instead

concentrate on mild civil war that's going on in the US -- crime, gangs, california... geez

as far as foreign policy -- i'd want something different than bush's plan (or at least -- Iraq), but i am far too ignorant from the anthropological/historical perspective to make any judgments here

these are just a few things
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who'd have thought the biggest Kerry landslide victory would be where Bush sleeps at night (when he's not ducking out to Crawford, of course)?

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/DC/P/00/index.html

This reminds me of when Reagan once said that he didn't see any poverty in America, and someone said to simply look out his window and right down the street.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red states... blue states... kerry... bush... i'm growing weary... my attention span is dwindling... what?
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lindy03 wrote:
natasha_theobald wrote:
My five year old was so involved in this election, we didn't know how to break it to him that Bush won. His dad would teasingly call him a flip-flopper, and he would answer, "No, I misled you." He asked questions and took a genuine interest in the process. He wanted to know what the figures they used meant, like 1.4 million jobs. I am as upset for his hopes being dashed as I am for my own.
Oh!! Bless your hearts!! How did it go? Did you tell him? Is he all right? Are you all right? You can always let him know that there are a bunch more grownups who will cry with him, if he needs to.

It's so great that you're doing this him...carry that with you. I'm doing everything I can to sort it all out. But, it's those kinds of things that help.

I spoke with my son today (he's 20, in college). He sounded so down about the election, too. You & your family are not alone!

My little one actually comforted me. He said not to worry, because this is the last time George Bush could be elected president, that next time it has to be someone else.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maegs wrote:

-M

“With a large majority, the delegates unanimously approved the resolution proposed by the Central Committee.”

-- Joseph Stalin, describing the vote at a party congress in the late ’20s
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day of Presidency, and the dollar tumbles to new lows.

The dollar, down 4.7 percent in the past month against the euro, initially jumped after the Labor Department said employers added 337,000 workers in October, after a gain of 139,000 a month earlier, fueling bets the Federal Reserve will raise its benchmark interest rate twice more this year. ``If payrolls like this can't cause the dollar to rally it's the clearest signal that there is something seriously wrong with the dollar,'' said David Bloom, a currency strategist at HSBC Holdings Plc in London.

The dollar has lost 8.3 percent since its high for the year of $1.1761 on April 26, surrendering gains made on expectations the Federal Reserve would raise its benchmark interest rate from a four-decade low. The U.S. currency is also down this year against the yen, British pound, Swiss franc, Brazilian real and the currencies of Australia and New Zealand.

Hedge funds, pension funds and mutual funds are selling dollars, said Michael Klawitter, a currency strategist at WestLB AG in Duesseldorf, Germany. ``A lot of currency hedge funds had a miserable year, and so they're loving this market now,'' he said. ``The euro will be testing $1.30, which the market desperately wants to see.''

Decline Under Bush

The dollar is weakening as the U.S. current account deficit widens, economists pare forecasts for U.S. economic growth and foreign demand for U.S. assets wanes. The currency has shed 21 percent since President George W. Bush, who won a second term on Nov. 2, took office in 2001.

--

So what does this all mean? It means Chinese made umbrellas at Wal Mart will be cheaper, but it also means that US made umbrellas will bring in less for their manufacturers. Less jobs, cheaper prices.

And it also means my income continues to drop. Dammit.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: