eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

user

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SarahKimball

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: user Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I am a student at Tufts University writing an article about all of the ratings and review sites online. I was wondering if any of you would want to answer a few questions about why/how you became reviewers, what sort of feedback you get, if you use consumer review sites yourself, and how valid customer ratings and reviews are in general. Thanks!!! please email me at sarah.kimball@tufts.edu
Mrs. Norman Maine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you suppose she's interested in fictitious Hollywood Divas?

MNM
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read her post in the feedback/suggestions thread, yeah.

Why do I do it? Used to work in film production, got sick of finding new jobs every few months, figured writing about it might prove more stable. Shows how much I knew.

Feedback - depends on what I say. If I ride the fence, like 98% of reviewers that don't write on this site do, I get nothing. If I go hard and smite the unworthy, I get plenty of 'yeehaw' emails. The best feedback is from the filmmakers themselves. Those are really who I'm aiming the reviews at - either a 'take that, you hack' or a 'round of applause'. The smaller filmmakers make it very clear that they're listening and appreciative.

Yes, I use consumer reviews myself, but only from a few select folks. I could really care less what Harry Knowles has to say. The world has enough ginger-headed globular fanboys that I don't need advice from one.

As for validity of same, it varies. If you look at the average rating of, say, American Anthem on Amazon, you'll shake your head and wonder why they even bother if every single movie is going to be rated 4.2/5 or higher no mattyer how bad it is. But in a place like this, a broad range of reviewers not only gives the movies that deserve it a larger critical boost, but it also allows users to pick the voice that most regularly goes with their point of view. Movies are every bit as much a consumer item as a car, and you wouldn't buy a car without a test drive, so it stands to reason you should read a review before you buy into a movie.

Problem is, most don't, and those that do have to wade through reviews from quotewhores, part time reviewers who are actually the local TV weatherguy, and morons who can't spell. This site has standards (not everyone can get in), and it has a lot of reviewers so there's a wide variety of tastes. Added to that, our user ratings are the icing on the cake - if you relate more to the audience than our critics, we have their voices on show too.

Alternately, you can take a gamble that Ebert will like exactly what you like... good luck on that one.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: