eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanna FFWD through DVD commercials? Tough.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Wanna FFWD through DVD commercials? Tough. Reply with quote

TIVO adding popups

The TIVO billboard thing surprised me, but the following just pissed me off.

From the article:
Quote:
The issue of commercial skipping is also playing out on Capitol Hill.

The Senate is expected to vote on the Intellectual Property Protection bill in this lame-duck session. The bill has a provision to prohibit technology that skips commercials during a DVD or televised movie; opponents, including advocacy group Public Knowledge, say the provision would make it a crime to fast-forward through a commercial.

In criticizing the bill last month, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said: "Do we really expect to throw people in jail in 2004 for behavior they've been engaged in for more than a quarter century?

Unbelievable.
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of some staunch Republican having a hissy fit over a study that showed that many people don't watch the commercials in between their tv shows. He said something like, "You're obligated to watch those commercials!"

Okey-dokey, Big Brother. And up yours you corporation-loving deity of a fuckbag.
Slyder
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gee, what bullshit.

You can tell me that I've got no class, look around you and see who's laughing last - Rush
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it be illegal to mute the commercials? Are they gonna come and watch me?

I think there could be an argument brought that being forced to watch commercials is damaging to a person's health and welfare. Certainly it interferes with pursuit of happiness, no?
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found it infuriating that advertisers pay a property owner a fee to put a billboard up, but they don't pay me a fee for occupying my eyesight, nor my brain.

But hell, I don't worry about ads anymore. I just download the TV I want to watch, and it usually comes edited of ads.
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanna FFWD through DVD commercials? Tough. Reply with quote

Ryan_A wrote:

Unbelievable.

What's unbelievable is that I agree with McCain.

That actually annoys the piss out of me because you have to PAY for TiVo. Hello! And it's not like one button just wipes out the commercials. I still have to watch them (although at, like, 1/4 of the time it would take to watch them normally. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What these law makers seem to have forgotten is that broadcasters and advertisers are beholden to US for using our airways. The airways are considered a public resource. They're just lucky we allow them to use OUR airways.

-m

-V
Zack Duchene

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not looking at something now violates intellectual property? who owns my hot little eyes?
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCain should be president, not the Shrub. I agree, am I compensated for the time it takes to get rid of pop ups, the system resources it steals, the 30 minutes it takes to watch 20 minute episode of the Simpsons? Can't tolerate anything that threatens to abate the constant barrage of the message: consume, consume, consume, buy more, waste more, consume, don't produce anything, America, just shop til' you drop! If someone wants to remake a John Carpenter movie, I think THEY LIVE would be the most relevant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: