eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac or PC

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Mac or PC
Mac
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
PC
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 12

Obokemon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Mac or PC Reply with quote

Here it is, the ultimate question! Do you guys prefer Mac or PC?

I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live - Queens of the Stone Age
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC here.
Dust For Eyes
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more for PCP.
Charles Tatum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My housemate is a proud Mac user, so am I (by default and necessity). I actually like it.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if a Mac didn't cost more than a small home, I'd put up with the lack of software options and go with it. But n'yah to that.
PyThomas
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past six years, I've known what it's like to be in a social minority. Yes, I'm Mac and I'm proud. And I gotta stand up for my oppressed brothers and sisters.

Ironically enough, the job I work at now is my first graphics job ever where I work primarily on a PC. Confused

But I'll say this... working all day on a Wintel box at work makes me appreciate my home Mac computer all the more.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

http://www.thomasoverbeck.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having Macs for practically my entire life, I got tired of the latest one crashing about every six months and bought a PC 5 years ago and never looked back.

I also caught hell from the Mac Gestapo (AKA Ben) about it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been without a computer for three weeks while it was being propped on its last leg, so I'm curious about the whys of the various choices. It looks like I will be buying soon.
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My traditional bitches with the Mac:

1) It was always hard to upgrade. I don't know if this has changed lately or not, but a PC can be upgraded simply by just plugging in the new pieces, something I did last week when I installed a broadband router and two network cards, upgraded my RAM and stuck in a new CD burner. I suck at computer stuff, so if I could do that with a minimum of assistance (thanks for your advice, Ben, the router works! Cable internet all over the house!) then anyone can.

2) There was always a real lack of software available for the Mac. Maybe this too has changed of late, but Apple used to have this dumb ass rule that you couldn't out out Mac software unless you paid them a licensing fee. This meant that there was a lot of stuff you couldn't get on a Mac but could with a PC.

3) PC used to suck with graphics apps compared to the Mac, but that's not really the case anymore. On the old magazine we used to run a MAc for design but when we upgraded the systems we went to PC and found no difference at all, even on high end image processing. To me, that was the one area where Mac had it all, and with that no longer the case...

4) PC's are SO cheap it's hysterical. Even if you go to a computer liquidator store and buy a model that's a year old, you're still buying a dirty fast machine compared to what you're probably used to, for less than $500, and upgrading (as discussed) is a cinch.

Things to be wary of:

1) The 'rebate' that every store offers is not a discount. When you send in for your money, you go on a mailing list, which means you end up on sixty mailing lists after they're shared their information with other people, and then your rebate comes to you about six weeks later.

2) The 'free year of AOL' offers should be seen as a 'free year of slow access and customer service that doesn't know their arsehole from their elbow'. Avoid.

3) Look in the classified section of your newspaper and find the company that's advertising the cheapest system to suit your needs. To not EVER go to Dell or Gateway or any of those other places that require you to send your damn box to Ohio to get it fixed and charge you $100 for customer service. Go to the little guy in a storefront around the corner who competes with the big guys by nickel and diming and giving you the cheapest possible price. They'll give you a free warranty.

4) Never just buy whatever is on the shelf at a department store. If you've got a monitor, printer and keyboard that works fine, why pay for a second of each? Get a small place to build you a box to your specifications - select how much ram you want, what size drive you want, if you even want a monitor or not, etc etc. You'll get what you truly need instead of forking out an extra $100 for a 60gb drive you have no use for.

5) I bought my laptop as a factory reconditioned jobbie from uBid.com. Paid about $650 for it, with a warranty, got a model that was maybe a year old but still just fine for my use. Stuck in a bit more ram, the thing still flies to this day. Find me a Mac that costs $650 and I'll blow your grandma.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bitch with the MAC is that they're just too proprietary. Like Oz said, the older models were a pain in the ass to upgrade (although the new G4's are pretty sweet - right down to the easy access case). Pesonally, I hate the fact that you have to buy a Mac, instead of just being able to build one. Building your own PC is the way to go. I haven't bought one since my 486. And the lack of software for the Mac is a joke, especially if you like to game at all. Shit, half of the software on the average Mac comes from Microsoft. What does that tell ya!
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

And, Oz -- my grandma is kinda lonely....
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz wrote:

3) Look in the classified section of your newspaper and find the company that's advertising the cheapest system to suit your needs. To not EVER go to Dell or Gateway or any of those other places that require you to send your damn box to Ohio to get it fixed and charge you $100 for customer service. Go to the little guy in a storefront around the corner who competes with the big guys by nickel and diming and giving you the cheapest possible price. They'll give you a free warranty.

What's sad about this is: When I bought my first Dell, they were still on their way up. Customer service was exxxcellent. I installed a printer, somehow it blew out my modem, I called customer service and they had a guy come out to my house the very next day. Replaced the part for free and went about his way. I paid nothing.

When I decided to upgrade on that computer, I had a local store make me one, had a one year warranty... Bought good parts, blah blah blah, my motherboard died after 14 months. Yep. And since they were in Alaska and I was in Idaho, they couldn't really help me all that much when it came to diagnosing it, this that and the other.

So, something to think about if you're going to be moving... hehe.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was subjected to 14 months in Idaho, I'd die too.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I was subjected to 14 months in Idaho, I'd die too

Try seven years in Utah (sorry Maegs! *ducks*).
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
If I was subjected to 14 months in Idaho, I'd die too.

At least it wasn't Jersey.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: