eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Punisher

View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: The Punisher Reply with quote

So far, the Punisher game is a lot more of what the movie SHOULD have been like. If you were disappointed by the movie (and most of us were), you might find this more to your liking. He's not doing the gay little revenge mindgames this time, he is simply out to FUCK dudes up. The interrogation modes are the best part of the game. Torture a dude for information and then kill in one of many various and sundry ways. It's unapologetically gruesome, and I love it. Twisted Evil So far I've been able to stuff a dude in a wood chipper, crush another one to a pulp with the car smasher in a junkyard, and best of all, put a dude's head in the pirahna pond at the zoo and watch them eat his face off. Why couldn't the movie have been more like this???

Only complaints are that the motion capture for the Punisher model kind of sucks, the AI isn't that smart, and the controls are a bit dodgy. Think Max Payne, but not as smooth or polished. Still, a fun game if you like torturing criminals to death. If only Rockstar had done it, though, it could have been really great.
AZKaban

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have this one, but my friend also complained about huge gap between movie and the game.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the game is better.

But once you finish it once, you'll be totally done with it. No replay value whatsoever.
CaptainFun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the game on PC. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it came out. The replayability is pretty low, but the gameplay is wonderful. I didn't particularly like how they did the whole black-and-white effect when you execute special interrogations though. I understand that some people like the effect, but knowing that it was intended as censorship, I just can't accept it.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKay:

Having played the Punisher game, would you recommend a purchase to:

A big Marvel fan who has Marvel vs. Capcom, The Hulk, Both Spider Man's
A guy who has played and very much enjoyed Max Payne
A guy who has played and very much enjoyed both Halo's

In other words, would Punisher be a waste of time and money for someone who already possesses these above-mentioned games, despite having a keen interest in all things Marvel?

Just looking for an honest opinion.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i'm not a huge Marvel fan or anything, so i may not be as into the Punisher franchise as you are.

My honest opinion though is that it's only worth a rental. By the time you get to the final levels of the game, you'll notice a lot of repeats in both the special kills and in the Punisher's one-liners. By the time you beat it, you'll literally have seen and heard it all - sometimes twice. And since the game is extreremely linear and there's no on-line component, replay value is nil. Although I'm a big Max Payne fan too, this game wasn't as good as the Max Payne games, although it comes close in a few areas - Slaughter Mode, for example (their version of bullet time) is fucking cool.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, despite the Marvel background, I just don't want to invest time and money in something that's going to be sub-Max Payne- once you've played that 3rd person shooter AND Halo, it leaves one very suspicious game player. So what you are saying is, its additions to the shooter genre in the end, don't make for a long term compelling experience.

I think I'll hold out for Starcraft Ghost- despite its numerous delays and push backs, that's the one I've been waiting for the most, being hopelessly addicted to the PC RTS version, and not being able to get enough of that world.
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Punisher Reply with quote

[quote="y2mckay"]Why couldn't the movie have been more like this???

quote]

Because they keep getting Stan Lee's input on the Marvel films maybe? He should stick to comic books, Spiderman 2, Punisher, just about every Marvel movie that's come out has been pretty lame, PG, dated, cheesy garbage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: