eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blockbuster sued over late fees
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 3401
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Blockbuster sued over late fees Reply with quote

From CNN.com:

Blockbuster sued over late fees

N.J. attorney general says the video rental chain violated consumer fraud laws.
February 18, 2005: 4:41 PM EST
By Jessica Seid, CNN/Money staff writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - New Jersey Attorney General Peter Harvey sued Blockbuster Inc. Friday, claiming the video rental chain is deceiving customers with its new 'No More Late Fees' rental policy.

The lawsuit accused the movie rental chain of deceptive advertising and violating the state's consumer fraud laws.

"Blockbuster boldly announced its 'No More Late Fees' policy, but has not told customers about the big fees they are charged if they keep videos or games for more than a week after they are due," the attorney general said in a statement.

"There is no question about it there is a violation of New Jersey's consumer fraud act," Harvey told CNN/Money.

Under Blockbuster's (Research) new policy, put into effect on Jan. 1, customers can keep a rental for one week past the due date at no additional charge. After that, they are charged a restocking fee of $1.25. And if the overdue item is kept for more than 30 days, Blockbuster will charge the customer the retail value of the item.

In a brief statement, Blockbuster defended the new policy, saying it was surprised and disappointed by the lawsuit.

"The fact is there are no longer late fees at Blockbuster," the company said. "We're disappointed he (Harvey) took this action, because we believe our end-of-late fees program is a terrific program and we've received tremendous feedback from both our customers and employees."

The company said it was "surprised" that Harvey did not contact company officials to allow them to explain the new policy.

According to the Attorney General, investigators from the division of consumer affairs began examining the matter as soon as the policy went into effect as part of a pro-active consumer effort.

"Our principal goal is restitution to the consumer," Harvey said.

When asked if he ever rents movies from Blockbuster Harvey responded, "my kids do."

Dallas-based Blockbuster (Research), with some 9,000 outlets in the United States, is reportedly facing growing opposition from antitrust enforcers over its hostile takeover bid to acquire Hollywood Entertainment Corp (Research)., its smaller rival.

Hollywood Entertainment's board on Thursday rejected Blockbuster's bid in favor of a lower bid from Movie Gallery (Research), saying the Blockbuster deal "raises significant antitrust issues" that could cause delays or a rejection of the transaction by the Federal Trade Commission.

Blockbuster shares closed modestly higher on the New York Stock Exchange Friday.


Freaking crybaby. Oz, did you talk him into this, or what?

Dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lindy03



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Posts: 1723
Location: usa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it!

This is fairly amusing
I Hate Blockbuster
_________________
GO EAGLES
GO PHILLIES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 1719
Location: Quebecland

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an unrelated note, strictly out of curiosity:

What's with all those "(Research)" peppered throughout the article? Did the reporter put that in to indicate background research, then forgot to remove them when he was finished?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5525
Location: Philadelphia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, if you're reading that article on its original website, the "research" links will lead you to specific stories on that particular section.
_________________
Scott Weinberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Alex Paquin
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 1719
Location: Quebecland

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 3401
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't even notice that Research stuff, should've edited it out of something.

Oh, and this guy's not the only court case. They're piling up across the country, and something like 35 state attorney generals are looking into allegations of deceptive advertising. Which is lame, of course. I'll bet that many of these cases are the same folks who sued Blockbuster (and Hollywood) over the notion that late fees in general are illegal. Can't win, I s'pose.

Dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw late fees. Screw Blockbuster.

Okay, get this. SOME blockbusters don't have this whole new "no late fee" thing, and sometimes they don't tell you, and you keep a video over the limit, because you think, well, the advertising was telling you the truth. Not an experience of mine, but I, well...

SCRWE BALERIOQJ HOFEILKDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Jul 2002
Posts: 466
Location: Northside!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
Which is lame, of course. I'll bet that many of these cases are the same folks who sued Blockbuster (and Hollywood) over the notion that late fees in general are illegal. Can't win, I s'pose.


People are so damned dumb. If I'm renting an apartment out for $1200 a month and I stay 3 days over my freaking lease, it only stands to reason you pay the $120 because you're there, does it not? Ghad.

laura wrote:
SOME blockbusters don't have this whole new "no late fee" thing, and sometimes they don't tell you, and you keep a video over the limit, because you think, well, the advertising was telling you the truth.


You're kidding. Rolling Eyes Go figure. If I rented from Blockbuster, returned a video three days late and some asshole tried to charge me a late fee, I'd print this - http://www.blockbuster.com/nolatefees/index.html out and tell them to suck on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be better served to call your credit card company and have your number changed, because they don't ask you for the extra fee, they take it.

I think the NJAG is on the money. Fuck personal responsibility and the hoops you're expected to jump through to get your money back, and fuck the 'why can't you just return it on time' crowd.

Blockbuster removed 'late fees' years ago and replaced them with 'extended viewing fees'... expensive extended viewing fees. Really expensive extended viewing fees. So, if you wanted to get all technical, they haven't had late fees for so long, it could be looked at as fraudulent to now say they've removed them.

Huh? What do you think of that, huh? ...Huh?

Interesting question regarding apartment leases.... bears consideration, only I know people in Vancouver who have tenants three months behind in rent, who smoke bowls of dope and blow it all up through the air conditioning vents into the rest of the building, and these guys can't get the fuckers out of that apartment for love or money. But hey, apparently the Blockbuster solution would be to charge their credit card for the cost of the entire house, and we're all clear!

I'll let them know.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Jul 2002
Posts: 466
Location: Northside!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
You might be better served to call your credit card company and have your number changed, because they don't ask you for the extra fee, they take it.


That's why they don't have my credit card number.

Quote:
Huh? What do you think of that, huh? ...Huh?


Weeell, I kind of don't care because I make it a point to not rent from them. Smile

Quote:
Interesting question regarding apartment leases.... bears consideration, only I know people in Vancouver who have tenants three months behind in rent, who smoke bowls of dope and blow it all up through the air conditioning vents into the rest of the building, and these guys can't get the fuckers out of that apartment for love or money. But hey, apparently the Blockbuster solution would be to charge their credit card for the cost of the entire house, and we're all clear!


That's amusing. Here, after someone is served an eviction notice and their time is up, the police can forcibly go in and remove them. And... the landlord can change the locks. And... all their junk can be removed/sold. But, considering I was just making an analogy, there's no need to drag that out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they do that when your rent is a week late?

<volley!>
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lindy03



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Posts: 1723
Location: usa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, no. Not in any of the places I've lived (I've lived in a bunch 'o apt complexes).

My lease is set up & very specific about late fees. Then, once you have skipped rent & late fees, then they begin eviction proceedings. I think they go ahead & do it right away.

I read the lease agreement every single time, but I am never going to be in danger of eviction, since I'm anal about paying rent.

Anyway, they can also charge their court/legal fees. At my apt complex. I don't know if they're all set up like that. I would assume so, but you never know.
_________________
GO EAGLES
GO PHILLIES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all, most certainly. In fact, up here the law is so designed to favor the tenant that if you burned holes in the carpet, peed on the walls and ripped out all the light fittings, the landlord has to get your 'agreement' that you owe him money before he can take the expenses out of your security deposit.

And if you say, "No, I don't think I owe you anything," he/she has to take you to the rental board and prove you do, at his/her expense, and in the meantime they have to pay you out in full as if they lost, so that you're not financially burdened through the process.

Which is kinda stupid. Regardless, Blockbuster is poopy, late fees or no.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 3401
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this late fee grumbling seems directed at Blockbuster. Which forces me to ask Oz (and anyone else who wants to answer): don't you get late fees at whatever other video store you visit? Don't you get hit with charges from Hollywood, or Movie Gallery, or Mom & Pop's Video, or whatever place you shop? (Or do you only go thru Netflix and/or other mail companies?) Why is Big Blue the only one dissed for these charges?

<volley>

Dave, who's not defending Blockbuster, but is defending the idea of fees
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do get late fees elsewhere, no doubt about it, but for a variety of reasons they don't sting like they do at BB.

First of all, plenty of those mom n'pop shops will be flexible with their late fees, or even wipe them completely, if you're a regular customer. Hey, everyone forgets once in a while, after all, right? No point in pissing off your bread and butter by giving them reason to go elsewhere.

Second, those indie stores usually tend to charge less for rentals (oh, how I miss my 'seven movies for seven days for seven bucks' deals), and by virtue of that, they also charge less for late fees. It was a pain in the butt, but not the $24 pain in the butt it can be if you forget to take back The Animal and Big Daddy for a few days sometime over the two years both movies are considered by Blockbuster to be 'new releases'.

Third, as with many of the little guys, the service is better, selection is better, and they don't get the sweet deals that Blockbuster gets from distributors, so you know at least that they're charging you a fee because they have to in order to get that tape back and keep profitable. Which is all the more pressing, because the BB down the road has 700 copies of every new release movie and will take their business if they can't turn those flicks around in quick time.

At the little guys there's a sense of community about movies. The staff know their films, they offer up good advice, and those late fees are going to keep a movie freak in gainful employment. I can take the late fees there because they'll use them to go buy a copy of Tokyo Drifter or Branded To Kill, while Blockbuster will send them to Viacom, pay their staff minimum wage, require no actualy product knowledge of them, and not hire enough of the bastards to prevent a five-minute line from forming at the check-out.

So, in a nutshell, "it's just, like, everything, ya know?"
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, don't get me wrong, I hate Blockbuster... especially since they didn't have Annie Hall the last time I checked, and when we asked about it... they were like "Annie what?" but... Blockbuster just charges you for renting again, basically, if you keep it over the limit. Makes sense to me. So, if you're a day over, and it's a 5 day rental, might as well hang on to it... you're paying for it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 3401
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz, if you are renting The Animal and Big Daddy, you deserve far more punishment than a measly 24 bucks.

Dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, *I'm* not renting them, but the average Blockbuster customer... well, they gotta get their Sandler fix, ya know.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 3401
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think you overestimate the average Blockbuster customer.

Dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that possible?

<translated to Blockbuster clerk language>
Is him possum bull?
</translation>
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 13 Jul 2002
Posts: 2091
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read something about them renting DVDs pre-release dates, too. I'm not sure how they get away with that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Daddy Plaid



Joined: 11 Feb 2003
Posts: 1046
Location: Plaididia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I've found myself still going to the local BB.
The whole EOLF BS is annoying, and the last 3 times inside,
I've given 2 diff employees my 2 cents worth.
While out the door, I could here some AF Colonel arguing
up and down with the young girl over "the extended viewing fee"
he had been charged because he brought it back 3 days late.
It's not rocket science.
The due date is printed on the receipt.
It is deceptive advertising, however. The only thing that's changed
is that you can rent out how many ever movies/games you want,
provided they all return by their respective due dates.

I've emailed BB Customer service again bitching about how
my Gold rewards card is pretty much castrated due to the
fact that if i pay the $14.99 monthly fee, I only have to rent
4 movies before the benefits of Gold are worth nothing.

They email back with that cheesy ass general reply.
FUCKERS!!!!! AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!

And to add to my quest to go online thru NetFlix is the fact that
when I tried watching "Friday Night Lights", it cut off with 45 minutes
to go, because some crack baby non knowledge of how to
properly take care of the disc was scratched and ahhhhhh!
I went back that nite to swap out and no copies in stock.

3rd movie this year from BB I've had to return .
Dumbasses need to be replacing them or at least
checking them before putting them back on shelf.

I need alcohol.
_________________
Daniel san! Plaididdy-on....plaididdy off!
It's Spaceball 1...They've gone to Plaid!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
lindy03



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Posts: 1723
Location: usa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DP, Netflix rocks completely & totally.

Do it...sign up with them.
_________________
GO EAGLES
GO PHILLIES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lindy03



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Posts: 1723
Location: usa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
Why is Big Blue the only one dissed for these charges?
I see BB in the same way that I see Walmart...all about the bottom line and profit, no matter what. All the while, they crush any competition into little pieces under their feet.

They are a monopoly. Monopolies are wrong.

My spin on it.
_________________
GO EAGLES
GO PHILLIES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lindy03 wrote:
DP, Netflix rocks completely & totally.
Do it...sign up with them.


But when you do, go through our link so we get paid for our good advice!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group