eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blockbuster sued over late fees
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 3401
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

natasha_theobald wrote:
I just read something about them renting DVDs pre-release dates, too. I'm not sure how they get away with that.


Wha? (Or as Jon Stewart would say, Whaaaaaaaaa?)

I know this ain't true for any local chain 'round these parts these days (Wal-Mart is the only known street date violator I've found, but that's always based on incompetent employees and not corporate policy). Do tell more, as violations can seriously (and I mean seriously) hurt any company.

lindy03 wrote:
I see BB in the same way that I see Walmart...all about the bottom line and profit, no matter what. All the while, they crush any competition into little pieces under their feet.


Yes, but it's unfair to single out only the top companies, when so many runners-up also deserve scorn and disgust.

Allow me to begin: Hollywood Video is everything that's bad about Blue, only they're like a cheap knock-off version.

In fact, all major video chains are in one way or another evil. Too bad there are no good indie stores in town. I long for a good indie store.

Dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're usually out there, but they require a nine block journey instead of three blocks. I used to take a bus downtown on a weekly one-hour round trip just to hit a really good indie video store with good prices and the selection I wanted.

Of course, that was before Zip, which has seemingly sorted out their delivery issues and made their website far better, making it now every bit as good as Netflix for those of us living up north... Bryant, Lurk, Paquin - take note.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 13 Jul 2002
Posts: 2091
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
Do tell more, as violations can seriously (and I mean seriously) hurt any company.


There's not much more to tell. I was reading a first hand account discussing how the new policy means that people are less likely to return their new releases on time. The person went to rent a couple of new movies, which weren't in, and was escorted to an area where pre- new releases were offered. I wish I could remember the source. Sorry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 3401
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy hell, that's quite some back door shenanigans. Clerk must've been pocketing the cash; I can't imagine a chain allowing that sort of thing. (Reminds me of an old clerk I once knew who would grab pre-streets, dub them, and sell the dubs out of his trunk before they streeted. Lame.)

Oz wrote:
I used to take a bus downtown on a weekly one-hour round trip just to hit a really good indie video store with good prices and the selection I wanted.


Except that many of those places have closed down. (Although, if you're riding the bus in Cincy, it must have been worth the effort. Can't get anywhere on a bus these days.)

Dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way would I ride a bus in Cincy, unless it was to get across the river. This was in Vancouver.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 669
Location: FL, USA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Blockbuster sued over late fees Reply with quote

Deliver us from fucking LAWYERS. If you can't watch a fucking movie in 30 days, you have no desire to see it!

I'm no fan of Blockbuster, but I didn't think late fines were a big deal, like someone said, if you're late with your rent, what happens? They could've pro-rated fines depending on how late you were, or set a maximum cap of like $5 a video , but now without them the effect is that on those rare occasions when you go Blockbuster, NOTHING IS FUCKING IN! Maybe their intent is to make their stores obselete so people HAVE to rent from their online store or through Netflix...in which case, it's a success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daddy Plaid



Joined: 11 Feb 2003
Posts: 1046
Location: Plaididia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, same problem here...my local store actually called me
to ask why I haven't rented anything in like 3 weeks(the fat chick who flirts with me is used to seeing me every tuesday), but I told
her I cannot rent what is not there.

Yep, lots of ppl joinin NetFlix.
_________________
Daniel san! Plaididdy-on....plaididdy off!
It's Spaceball 1...They've gone to Plaid!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 3401
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Home Media Retailing:

Is Blockbuster Battling Empty-Shelf Syndrome?
Author: JESSICA WOLF and HOLLY J. WAGNER

Blockbuster Inc.’s “no late fees” program may be creating more white space on its store shelves.

Competing dealers are monitoring Blockbuster stock carefully and, along with other observers, they have noticed the shelves are decidedly light.

“We’ve been hearing that’s what’s been happening across the country,” said Todd Zaganiacz, president of the National Entertainment Buying Group (NEBG). “People have been going in [to Blockbusters] and finding that there’s just nothing there.”

Thanks to Blockbuster’s strong tradition of copy depth, many renters have grown accustomed to walking into Blockbuster locations with the assurance that the newest releases were guaranteed in stock, one of the No. 1 chain’s most visible and unbeatable promotions. But with renters keeping out titles longer following the chain’s “no late fees” policy, that may be a thing of the past.

Blockbuster’s guaranteed rental policy ended before the “End of Late Fees” program began, said Randy Hargrove, spokesperson for the chain.

On average, he said, renters are only keeping titles out about a day longer than the due date, which is what the chain discovered when it tested the “no late fees” program in select markets prior to the national rollout. Under the new scheme, Big Blue renters can go up to nine days without incurring additional charges.

But, reportedly, customers are having trouble getting the titles they want at the moment they want them at some Blockbuster locations. Disgruntled renters quoted in a March 3 Dallas Morning News story said they had to make multiple trips to their respective Blockbuster stores to rent titles such as The Motorcycle Diaries, Shark Tale and I Heart Huckabees.

Hargrove is quoted in the Morning News article as saying there have been some availability issues at the chain, especially for smaller box-office titles, but that Blockbuster is looking at ways to improve that. He also attributed some of the copy dearth to the chain’s new subscription model.

Whatever the cause, Blockbuster’s loss could be a competing store’s gain, said Ken Dorrance of The Video Station in Alameda, Calif.

“One Friday night, I found we had eight out of the top 10 renting titles in,” he said. “I went to our closest Blockbuster that same evening, and they only had two out of the top 10 in — and this was a corporate store.”

Al Welch, owner of Video Village in Rockwall, Texas, agreed. “We’ve had new and returning customers because of [Blockbuster] stock-outs,” he said. “It was a really big issue with Ray.”

Ted Engen, president of the Video Buyers Group, said many retailers in the Midwest who compete day-in, day-out with Blockbuster stores are reporting the same thing.

“Blockbuster has been trying a lot of different things, and I respect them for that, because change is good,” he said. “But … now they’ve got these inventory issues.”

Late fees not only provide an added revenue stream for the video rentailer, he added, but also serve as an incentive for renters to return product promptly.

“Now, not only with no more late fees but with the subscription model, Blockbuster is leaving the consumer with a lack of incentive to bring the movies back,” Engen said.

NEBG’s Zaganiacz said he suspects Blockbuster also may be ordering low on some titles in an effort to strong-arm suppliers into sweeter deals. “You see Warner and Sony titles, and they’re overloaded,” he said. “But for other studios, there’s little or nothing.”


Interesting.

Dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lindy03



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Posts: 1723
Location: usa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good. Maybe that will help, over the long term, to drive their business down & out.
_________________
GO EAGLES
GO PHILLIES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lindy03



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Posts: 1723
Location: usa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to post this yesterday, but didn't have the time, so here it is today:
Quote:
BC-BusinessHighlights 03-29
DALLAS (AP)
-- Blockbuster Inc. agreed to make refunds to
consumers after officials in 47 states charged that the nation's
largest movie-rental chain deceived the public with advertisements
that proclaimed the end of late fees.
Dallas-based Blockbuster also agreed to pay the states about
$630,000 to reimburse them for the costs of their investigations
into consumer complaints and said it would change the advertising
of its late-fee policy.
Blockbuster, however, said it would not scrap the fees -- only do
a better job of disclosing them.
Chief executive John Antioco said even with refunds and the cost
of new signs and brochures to explain the policy, the settlement
will cost Blockbuster less than $1 million. It had revenue of more
than $6 billion last year.
(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
APNP-03-29-05

_________________
GO EAGLES
GO PHILLIES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could see this coming from a mile away. Rolling Eyes

Think it's affecting them more than they're letting on?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 3401
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knee-jerk reaction - which is funny, because you'd think they'd have a cracklin' legal department going over every inch of advertising before rolling out something this big, to ensure that they couldn't get successfully sued. And now they're covering their butts for not being clearer before. Whoops.

(Stores in town have already put up wordy signs on the doors explaining how the system works.)

But to play devil's advocate here... seriously, people, how hard is it to ask a clerk how something works? You ask, you know the policy, you don't have to sue or demand a refund. Lazy pricks.

[/devil's advocate]

Dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chansta



Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: re: late fees Reply with quote

. I am an employee of blockbuster, so let me set the policy straight.
You can keep your rental up to a week AFTER the initial due date. This means that if you have a seven day rental, you can keep it for up to fourteen days. On the eighth day past the inital due date, we charge your account the retail price of the rental MINUS the amount you paid to rent it in the first place. After this point you have thirty days to return the rental, at which time you will have to pay 1.33 in a restocking fee for each late rental. So unless you have the movie for a month and a half, you only have to pay peanuts anyway. So in sum, your fees are only temporary. The second they are checked in, your account is credited the amountyou were initially charged.
But because people are dishonest and lazy, they are charged. There is a receipt stating the due date and time for each rental, AS WELL AS signs all over the store windows and counter. If this isn't enough, your dvd or vhs cover box will show you in big blue letters when it is due. ON the back of the cover box it even shows you a handy chart so you can understand "if I rented on a tuesday and it is a seven day rental it is due back the next wednesday." We are required by policy to repeat the dates to you as you exit the store. If, after all of these warnings, a customer choses to ignore the policy and still returns the rentals late, it is then time for them to pay up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now allow me to clarify Blockbuster's policies for you.

When they say "no late fees", Joe Average thinks they don't have to return it until they choose to. Such a thought may well be ludicrous, but that's what they hear when you say "no late fees" over and over again.

When you say "you can keep a 7-day rental for an extra week", what you should REALLY be saying is that it's a 14-day rental, not a 7-day rental, and if you keep it out a day late, "we're charging you for the entire cost of the disc," because that's, you know, honest n'shit.

But then, that doesn't sound as neat as "no late fees", does it? In fact, it sounds kind of crap. "8 days rental for new releases, and if you're late, you're buying it" isn't as catchy on a TV ad.

Which is the reason BB was sued.

Oh, and another thing, making your policy for every customer fit around the laziest, most dishonest 2% of customers is a surefire way to piss everyone off. As is having eighteen copies of Frankenfish and only two of Life Aquatic, but hey, let's not start changing the world too quickly.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I remember those days working at the Block.

"Don't use the term 'late fees,' call them 'extended viewing fees'!" But now, of course, the negative connotation of 'late fees' is GOOD for the new campaign.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chansta



Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: re re re re re Reply with quote

Whatever. If after ALL OF THAT you still don't understand when your movie is due, then don't rent movies. For these people it is probably more cost effective to just buy them at wal mart. But that's business. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Retail is rough like that. As for the frankenfish comment, its a little more complex than that. How many copies we display on our shelves depends on the volume size of the store, how old titles are, their street date, the demographic of the area, etc. So unless you understand how this works on an individual basis, I wouldn't knock it. For instance, our store makes the majority of its money on new release rentals. Our drama section is huge, and our horror/sci section is hardly noticible. (Because nobody rented them in my area.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5525
Location: Philadelphia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For instance, our store makes the majority of its money on new release rentals.


Which is why you'll stock 11 copies of the brand-new Frankenfish and the guy who wants to rent Fletch can't ... because the ONE copy collecting dust on the comedy shelf was broken three years ago and nobody ordered another copy.

Welcome to the boards, sincerely, but if you're here to voice to "pro-Blockbuster" argument, I suspect you're going to grow a few gray hairs in the process.
_________________
Scott Weinberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 1474
Location: The Moroccan Quarter of Provo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: re re re re re Reply with quote

chansta wrote:
Whatever. If after ALL OF THAT you still don't understand when your movie is due, then don't rent movies.


THAT is not the issue. My beef with this whole "end of late fees" campaign is that late fees are not actually going away. Just because you don't call them late fees, doesn't mean that they have gone the way of the dodo.

Even if you DO return the movie and only pay the nominal re-stocking fee, it's STILL money that you are paying because you turned the movie in late. Not to mention the fine print: franchisees may add on whatever amount they desire to the corporate re-stocking fee, making the nominal fee an undisclosed amount, possibly just as high as the previous "extended viewing fees."

It's almost worse since now you have to demand a refund to your credit card. So essentially, this new "end of late fees" program isn't ACTUALLY about late rentals, but a way that Blockbuster can borrow money from you for no interest, while you DO pay interest on your credit card, and you pay them for the priviledge.

Hell of a business plan.


-M
_________________
One should always aim at being interesting rather than exact

-V
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: re re re re re Reply with quote

Maegs hits the nail totally on the head. In addition:

chansta wrote:
For instance, our store makes the majority of its money on new release rentals. Our drama section is huge, and our horror/sci section is hardly noticible. (Because nobody rented them in my area.)


Ohh, so that's why when I asked the girl at my local 'buster where Citizen Kane was, she not only said "Never heard of it", but also asked whether it was "spelled with a C or K". Because, in my area, nobody likes classic masterpiece films?

Seriously, you guys make most of your money on new releases? Weird! I've never heard of that at other video stores, it must be some sort of odd geographic anomaly, huh?

Never mind that both Frankenfish AND Life Aquatic are new releases. Never mind that the multiple Frankenfish copies are always available while the two Life Aquatic's are always rented. Never mind that the store in question runs the trailer for Life Aquatic on an endless loop on their TV screens hanging from the ceiling. Never mind that both of them will be sitting on that 'new release' shelf for a year before finally being thrown into "sale" bins because they're not renting enough to warrant taking shelf space from Big Daddy or a Shannon Tweed erotic thriller.

Let me guess - people in your area prefer fullscreen to widescreen, right? Because every time I hear a customer ask what the difference is, some Blockbuster tool says the words "widescreen has those two annoying bars on the top and bottom of the screen... you should get fullscreen."

I mean, seriously, is it that freaking hard to find people who LIKE movies to work in your video store, or is it just that much easier to find clerks who got rejected by the Orange Julius stand at the mall because they're too fucking dumb to work the dairy whip machine?

Blockbuster wants to trumpet the abandoning of late fees? They INVENTED late fees! I remember in the pre-Blockbuster days when a new release was a movie less than three months old, which cost you $3 a night, and if you were six hours late on the return of the film, the clerk would say "no problem" and wipe the fee entirely.

Then along comes Blockbuster and drives all the small stores out of business, cuts sweet deals with distributors so they can fill their shelves with profit-share copies of The Hot Chick while indie stores struggle to get one single $120 copy, increases prices by 100%, keeps films on the new release shelf for three years, and refuses to stock any older movie that doesn't rent at least once a week... and now they're going to charge the cost of a movie to your credit card if you believe that they have "no more late fees"!

The lengths Blockbuster will go to just to stretch my moviegoing sphincter are matched only by the lengths Enron went to in order to supply electricity to California.

"What do you mean, you don't want to pay double? Where else you going to - Movie Gallery? BWAAAHAHAHAHA!"
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Jul 2002
Posts: 466
Location: Northside!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: re re re re re Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
I mean, seriously, is it that freaking hard to find people who LIKE movies to work in your video store, or is it just that much easier to find clerks who got rejected by the Orange Julius stand at the mall because they're too fucking dumb to work the dairy whip machine?


Considering BB pays minimum wage and all of the people I know that enjoy movies (beyond, y'know, White Chicks) are somewhat intelligent and can have a career beyond BB... My answer to your question would be "Yes." I mean, I worked at BB for a month, when I was in college, because I figured with my crazy school schedule, I could work whenever. That was fine, but their "office politics" are shit. The managers, at least at my store, were appointed managers not because they would make the best managers, but because they'd had the most senority. Made for high turnover rates and completely unhappy staff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a cure for the minimum wage = poor employee carousel.

But paying their people a little more is probably item #56923 on the Blockbuster management to-do list.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chansta



Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh for gods sakes people. If you cant read a simple receipt, then your dumbass deserves to pay a late fee...especially with a week long grace period. And it's not as though a dollar thirty three isnt a sweet ass deal for a freaking month and a half. Pay attention and quit your bitching, seriously. Keys go in the ignition, foot on the gas, drop it in a box. IT'S NOT HARD.
Second, it's not as though retail is that specialized. You hire people, teach them how to do stuff, and that's it. Most of these kids are still in high school, and considering the fact that the vast majority of kids in these jobs are from generation X, some of them aren't going to know what generation X is. And to incinuate that every blockbuster employee is in someway unintelligent because they work there is so ignorant it's not even funny. Im using it to pay for the last year of my college career...satisfied? There, I'm educated, but sin ce when did movie knowledge become the measuring stick for intelligen ce?
Third, this is business, plain and simple. If people dont rent a movie, we make room for something that will rent. Money money money. Welcome to America, where have you been? In the same way, ALL STORES stop attempting to sell stuff that doesn't sell, so they can make money on new items. The movies we carry depend on YOU. It's great that one person knows of citizen kane, but the other thousands of people that come to our store would rather watch white chicks. Hey, it's a college town.
Depending on the store and the location, there is only one format used, either FS or Wide screen, and I have no idea what this has to do with anything.
So before you go dissing our store, do your homework.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
oh for gods sakes people. If you cant read a simple receipt, then your dumbass deserves to pay a late fee...especially with a week long grace period.


You're missing the entire point here, Blockbuster is advertising something that simply ISN'T true, "no late fees..." When you've got big ass posters lining your windows and a huge commercial campaign that misleads customers it doesn't matter what the effing receipt says.

Quote:
here, I'm educated, but sin ce when did movie knowledge become the measuring stick for intelligen ce?


Well, when you're working at a movie store, you know, movie knowledge could come in handy? I don't know, maybe that's a CRAZY idea!

Quote:
If people dont rent a movie, we make room for something that will rent.


No, people rent what you make room for and what your "intelligent" customer service reps recommend.

Quote:
Depending on the store and the location, there is only one format used, either FS or Wide screen, and I have no idea what this has to do with anything.
So before you go dissing our store, do your homework.


Oh, I've done my homework! I worked there. No, FS and WS should be BOTH available -- where do YOU live, in the 80's when only VHS was around?!? And I'm sure you don't have any idea what it has to do with anything. THAT'S kind of the point.

Oh, and...
Quote:

Im using it to pay for the last year of my college career...satisfied? There, I'm educated,


Seeing as how your collegiate peers like "White Chicks," I don't necessarily think that you graduating in that town implies you are especially educated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura nailed you up and down, so I'll just cherrypick the easiest and cheapest shots.

chansta wrote:
oh for gods sakes people. If you cant read a simple receipt, then your dumbass deserves to pay a late fee...


And, as a special bonus, you're also qualified to work at Blockbuster!

Quote:
Second, it's not as though retail is that specialized. You hire people, teach them how to do stuff, and that's it. Most of these kids are still in high school.


Can you imagine if art gallery owners employed high school students to run their galleries?

Can you imagine if portrait painters had interns do the actual painting?

Can you imagine if a wedding photographer sent a 15-yr-old out to take snaps at your wedding?

Movies are art, you uneducated fucknut. They're not 'retail'. Granted, Blockbuster reduces them to 'retail', by deciding that Citizen Kane can be thrown away because it doesn't rent as often as Romy and Michele's high School Reunion, and employing pig ignorant morons like this guy who will tell their customers that full screen is BETTER than widescreen, but to those of us who give a damn about the cinematic artform, you and your ilk are a festering pustule on the ass of something that intelligent, creative people spend their entire lives trying to improve.

You wanna work retail? Go serve tacos, and quit soiling my industry.

Quote:
And to incinuate that every blockbuster employee is in someway unintelligent because they work there is so ignorant it's not even funny.


They're no unintelligent BECAUSE they work there, they're unintelligent to begin with, which is why they're HIRED to work there. Anyone who actually cared about movies wouldn't be seen dead working in a place where 85 copies of The Hot Chick sit next to one (fullscreen) copy of American Beauty.

Quote:
Im using it to pay for the last year of my college career...satisfied?


How much is community college charging these days?

Quote:
Third, this is business, plain and simple. If people dont rent a movie, we make room for something that will rent. Money money money. Welcome to America, where have you been? In the same way, ALL STORES stop attempting to sell stuff that doesn't sell, so they can make money on new items. The movies we carry depend on YOU.


No, the movies you carry depend on sheep. Your company doesn't care if a movie is any good, because they know that if they stock 38 copies of White Chicks, idiots will rent them.

On the other hand, if you bothered to have INFORMED people working at the store, who could recommend films such as Cinema Paradiso or Down By Law or Seven Samurai to people, in order to expand their passion, knowledge and time spent watching movies, you could actually EXPAND your customer base instead of the speedy retraction that is currently taking place in the video rental marketplace.

You ignorant toady, your company, despite owning 65% of the entire video rental business, is LOSING MONEY. And not just a little, but it's losing it hand over fist - why? Because it has for the past decade worked on a short term profit strategy - extract as much as you can out of the dumbass customer, spend as little as possible actually growing the market and feeding the market's passion for the product, and when the market starts getting sick and tired of watching stupidity and worthlessness, just buy the next place competitor to keep stock prices up.

Bottom line - every other industry out there knows you have to either improve quality over time to keep your industry growing, or improve your customers' passion for your product. Blockbuster does neither. It plunders and pillages it's customers, foolishly believing that they'd just go on being mistreated forever and never have anyone else to turn to.

Well I have one word for you, sparky, and it's one word that will drive your dumbass employer bankrupt - Netflix.

Quote:
So before you go dissing our store, do your homework.


Speaking of homework, go learn to freaking spell.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chansta



Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, you miss the point. I dont think you know what a real late fee is...at all. If we were really charging late fees, you would be charged the price of the rental every week it is late. That simply doesnt happen anymore. If your movie is a week late, you get a TEMPORARY fee, which is totally whiped clean the second you return it. So in essence, it's (sort of) a late fee, just a different kind, I guess you're right about that. But it's more than fair.
What does my college education have to do with movie knowledge? Im having trouble with that one. I don't think the offer credit on a cinema course there, cheif. At least not for my major. Even so, it would have NOTHING to do with the majority of movies we carry.
We carry titles based on what you rent. Plain and simple. This is a fact, plain and simple. We dont just arbitrarily pick random titles to pass the time. For instance, we carried Casablanca at one point in time. It didnt rent once within a six month period, so we put it up for sale. Such is the way of business in America.
Maybe you should double check your homework. Our store only carries one format. This has been verified every day I have worked there by people who have asked, and Managers who offer explanation.
And thank you, again, for proving the point that you are exceptionally open minded about absolutely nothing. Did you want me to rent documentaries every week to save face? Should I do that just to spite you? What is this nonsense. You dont know anything about me..at all. So before you go throwing more verbal daggers my way, perhaps you should stop to consider these things. As if my IQ would drop 50 points because I watched a movie.

Ooohhhhh my degree is worthless because I've seen white chicks. Repeat that to yourself and see how silly it sounds. Yes, I've seen the movie. I get free rentals just like you did. Does this mean that I have a matching t-shirt and tote bag? No. It was an awful film, I knew that before I made the decision to rent it, even for free. I watched about twenty minutes of it. Although, I have no idea why I'm defending myself here, this is rediculous beyond belief. Nowhere in your sophomoric, incoherent ramblings have you come even remotely close to anything that vaguely represents something true about me.
But implications are just that, implied. You've implied a lot of things, here, none of which have any sort of factual foundation to them. So you can continue to sit there, speculating away about a stranger you've never met.
But I'm not alone, because apparently anyone who works at Blocksbuster must be stupid...according to you. I forget...who else was it that worked there again? Oh yeah... you! You moron, you dolt. You're so undeducated. Oh but you know everything you know about movies makes you intelligent then eh?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group