eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blockbuster sued over late fees
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chansta wrote:
Again, you miss the point. I dont think you know what a real late fee is...at all. If we were really charging late fees, you would be charged the price of the rental every week it is late.


No, YOU don't know what a late fee is. The local library charges late fees. 10c per week on an overdue book - that's a late fee.

What Blockbuster charges is extortion, because in most towns there's not an option - you either do business with Blockbuster and pay their extortionate 'extended viewing fee', or you don't rent anywhere, because they've driven the other stores out of business.

And since I've been alive long enough to remember when video stores first came about, and how each store at the time was a local mom'n'pop where you likely knew the owner and the place was staffed by movie buffs who knew their shit, and if you were a few days late with your tape, you might have racked up a buck in late charges, which in all likelihood would have been wiped by the staff because they valued your business... I think I'm in a position to tell YOU what a late fee is.

Quote:
That simply doesnt happen anymore. If your movie is a week late, you get a TEMPORARY fee, which is totally whiped clean the second you return it. So in essence, it's (sort of) a late fee, just a different kind, I guess you're right about that. But it's more than fair.


So there are no late fees, but then there kind of is, and maybe there is after all, but they're fair late fees? Seriously man, you're in college? What are you majoring in - flip flopping?

Quote:
What does my college education have to do with movie knowledge? Im having trouble with that one.


Which is weird because, like, you brought it up.

Quote:
I don't think the offer credit on a cinema course there, cheif.


Yes, 'they' do, at any school worth its salt anyway. And 'chief' is spelled with an ie, not an ei, just so you're clear.

Quote:
We carry titles based on what you rent. Plain and simple. This is a fact, plain and simple. We dont just arbitrarily pick random titles to pass the time.


Yes, you do just pick random titles. Blockbuster buys any title that it thinks has:

A) A cover that attracts attention.
B) A star that attracts attention.
C) A big screen release.

There is NO credence given to quality. None at all. Quality of the film does not enter into it. Why? Because your management KNOWS that a lage number of people are idiots and will rent based on a neat cover, a neat star, or the fact that they've heard of the movie before and you have 32 copies sitting on the shelf.

See, if I'm selling oranges at a local store, I can get the cheapest, nastiest oranges around and know that half the people out there will still buy them. But the other half will go elsewhere, and if there is NO elsewhere that they can go to, then they'll just do without.

Blockbuster does business exactly that way. No quality control, no quality service, shoddy product, outrageous prices, and predatory anti-competitive practices. They wipe out the competition, then they sell shit to people who are dumb enough to buy it, at a price that is unjustifiable.

The only catch is, eventually those dumbasses start losing interest, and when you've lost the dumbasses, you've lost it all (just ask John Kerry).

Quote:
For instance, we carried Casablanca at one point in time. It didnt rent once within a six month period, so we put it up for sale. Such is the way of business in America.


I would poke your eyes out with a spoon if you were standing here in front of me right now, you ignorant waste of organic matter. If you had any brains about you at all, and if your piece of shit employers had any likewise, you'd realize that keeping one movie on the shelf because it's among the best films ever made is NOT a bad business decision. It's called QUALITY. It's called "if it's not renting, it's because your asshole employees aren't recommending it enough".

Quote:
Maybe you should double check your homework. Our store only carries one format. This has been verified every day I have worked there by people who have asked, and Managers who offer explanation.


And let me guess.... you only offer FULLSCREEN, right?

Douchebag.

Quote:
Did you want me to rent documentaries every week to save face?


If you can find one in your Blockbuster store, by all means give it a shot. But chances are, even if you can find one, it'd be The Real Cancun, so I won't hold my breath.

Quote:
As if my IQ would drop 50 points because I watched a movie.


I feel like mine has dropped fifty just by reading your dribble.

Quote:
Nowhere in your sophomoric, incoherent ramblings have you come even remotely close to anything that vaguely represents something true about me.


Only a student would use the word 'sophomoric" without havign the first clue what it means. Nice one. Now break out the thesaurus and pretend you knew all along.

Quote:
But I'm not alone, because apparently anyone who works at Blocksbuster must be stupid...according to you. I forget...who else was it that worked there again? Oh yeah... you! You moron, you dolt. You're so undeducated.


Correction: She was a dolt. But then she got out.

Meanwhile, you're still there...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason that rep movie houses regularly show Casablanca and not Shannon Tweed movies, you know...
_________________


Last edited by Oz on Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chansta



Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course movies are art. I realize that. Thanks for the cursing, it proves your point with such eloquence. Speaking of which, this is the internet, nobody giveS a crap about perfect spelling...quit hiding from the real issue.
Blockbuster isn't here to promote art in all its forms, it exists to make money. Walmart does not make cheesy crap to make old ladies smile, it is there to make money. Get the picture? Good.

Did it ever occur to you that the reason people this age work anywhere is to make MONEY? Nobody has the luxury to be so thickle with their employment...nobody. Maybe you're incredibly rich or something, and you get to choose whatever job you want. Maybe you've never struggled, I dont know, so I'm not going to try and pass that off as some sort of twisted fact, like some people on this forum. The point is, they offered me money in exchange to help at the store. I needed money, I took the job.
Nice insults. People who DO have these luxuries are probably sipping late's in connecticut with their rich uncle while contributing absoulutely nothing of their own to society.
Regardless of how many cheapshots you take at my college of choice (which , by the way is a practical four year University) I didnt come here to insult people, only defend stupid crap I see.
As far as blockbuster losing money, this is a summer job, and I dont care. I'm on for another couple months. But thanks for staying on topic for once.
Nobody has what it takes to be open minded anymore. How's this...I AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT NETFLIX.
You have to understand a weeee bit more about demographics there, cheif. I dont live in a metropolatin area where people are "cultured"
People here are blue collar, and they earn their living the hard, old fashioned way. They dont have time to sit around watching tv guide or read the new yorker. They come in after work to get something, so they can go home and watch it before they fall asleep and have to do it all over again the next day at 5 am...if they're lucky. Vancouver is a much much much much bigger area. This is a small town here. The opportunities aren't that great. I would be much more invested in the idea of selling people on movies that aren't entirely devoid of artistic, cinematic vision, if I was in a big city like you. But I'm not. Gotta stick with what you've got, ya know?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chansta



Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course movies are art. I realize that. Thanks for the cursing, it proves your point with such eloquence. Speaking of which, this is the internet, nobody giveS a crap about perfect spelling...quit hiding from the real issue.
Blockbuster isn't here to promote art in all its forms, it exists to make money. Walmart does not make cheesy crap to make old ladies smile, it is there to make money. Get the picture? Good.

Did it ever occur to you that the reason people this age work anywhere is to make MONEY? Nobody has the luxury to be so thickle with their employment...nobody. Maybe you're incredibly rich or something, and you get to choose whatever job you want. Maybe you've never struggled, I dont know, so I'm not going to try and pass that off as some sort of twisted fact, like some people on this forum. The point is, they offered me money in exchange to help at the store. I needed money, I took the job.
Nice insults. People who DO have these luxuries are probably sipping late's in connecticut with their rich uncle while contributing absoulutely nothing of their own to society.
Regardless of how many cheapshots you take at my college of choice (which , by the way is a practical four year University) I didnt come here to insult people, only defend stupid crap I see.
As far as blockbuster losing money, this is a summer job, and I dont care. I'm on for another couple months. But thanks for staying on topic for once.
Nobody has what it takes to be open minded anymore. How's this...I AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT NETFLIX.
You have to understand a weeee bit more about demographics there, cheif. I dont live in a metropolatin area where people are "cultured"
People here are blue collar, and they earn their living the hard, old fashioned way. They dont have time to sit around watching tv guide or read the new yorker. They come in after work to get something, so they can go home and watch it before they fall asleep and have to do it all over again the next day at 5 am...if they're lucky. Vancouver is a much much much much bigger area. This is a small town here. The opportunities aren't that great. I would be much more invested in the idea of selling people on movies that aren't entirely devoid of artistic, cinematic vision, if I was in a big city like you. But I'm not. Gotta stick with what you've got, ya know?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 1474
Location: The Moroccan Quarter of Provo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chansta wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that the reason people this age work anywhere is to make MONEY? Nobody has the luxury to be so thickle with their employment...nobody.


I'm sorry, did you just say "thickle"? Did you mean pickle? If so, that's so true. I have never had the luxury to be so pickle with my employment. I have brought a few cucumbers to the company picnic (a calculated risk I tell you) but never a pickle.


Quote:
People who DO have these luxuries are probably sipping late's in connecticut with their rich uncle while contributing absoulutely nothing of their own to society.


Well, sipping late's are far more preferable than sipping earlies, IMHO.

Quote:
As far as blockbuster losing money, this is a summer job, and I dont care. I'm on for another couple months. But thanks for staying on topic for once.


I think that was part of the original issue. We don't expect our Blockbuster employees to "care" about their jobs, and that's evident in some of the ridiculous recommendations and statements uttered by the soothsayers behind the counter.

Quote:

They dont have time to sit around watching tv guide or read the new yorker.


I'm sorry, did you just place TV Guide and The New Yorker on the same level? Thanks, that's the best thing I've read all day.


Quote:
They come in after work to get something, so they can go home and watch it before they fall asleep and have to do it all over again the next day at 5 am...if they're lucky.


Exactly. A clerk worth his salt would be able to tailor their recommendations to the patrons in his store.

Quote:
I would be much more invested in the idea of selling people on movies that aren't entirely devoid of artistic, cinematic vision, if I was in a big city like you. But I'm not. Gotta stick with what you've got, ya know?


Having worked in retail for years, you'd be surprised with what people will accept. A clerk should be having conversations with his patrons to expand their movie viewing horizons, exposing them to movies they'd never have considered. This is only problem if you don't care about your job, or don't have the stock to fulfill a requirement. It's central to Oz's complaint. Small video stores used to get to know their customers. You could get someone who had watched a few movies and could steer in the direction of The Professional instead of XXX:State of the Union.
Heck, you could have found someone who knew the difference between Leon and The Professional.

Look, all we're asking for is a few more Vincent's picks and a few less Gene's picks, know what I mean?

For what it's worth, the guys at my local Blockbuster were great. They were thrilled that I was renting Secretary instead of The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. However, they are the extreme exception, and definately not the rule. If you go to the other Blockbuster two miles from my house, the guy tells you "Oh, you don't want the black lines, you want to see the WHOLE movie."

Of course, now I have Netflix and don't have to worry.

-M
_________________
One should always aim at being interesting rather than exact

-V
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5525
Location: Philadelphia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main HUHHHH? on the last comment is this:
Quote:

I would be much more invested in the idea of selling people on movies that aren't entirely devoid of artistic, cinematic vision, if I was in a big city like you. But I'm not. Gotta stick with what you've got, ya know?


So lemme get this straight: If you worked at a NYC Cockbanger, you'd be more than happy to recommend Eternal Sunshine or Before Sunset ... but because you live and work in a teensy lil podunk town, it's perfectly OK to feed White Chicks to the low-class know-nothing Joe Sixpack??

Weird argument there. Personally I think you're probably an intelligent person who works for a very ignorant corporation. And as such, you could probably use your smarts to help make your store a better place...

And I still just cannot believe that your store has ZERO copies of Casablanca. That's just monumentally depressing to me.
_________________
Scott Weinberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 8532
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL USA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may very well be the stupidest person on the face on the Earth.

Name the movie, Shasta McNasty.

Oh yeah - and Gene's trash!
_________________
Erik Childress
Online Film Critics Society / Chicago Film Critics Association
Nick Digilio - WGN Radio Chicago
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Jul 2002
Posts: 466
Location: Northside!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAngryJew wrote:
My main HUHHHH? on the last comment is this:
Quote:

I would be much more invested in the idea of selling people on movies that aren't entirely devoid of artistic, cinematic vision, if I was in a big city like you. But I'm not. Gotta stick with what you've got, ya know?


So lemme get this straight: If you worked at a NYC Cockbanger, you'd be more than happy to recommend Eternal Sunshine or Before Sunset ... but because you live and work in a teensy lil podunk town, it's perfectly OK to feed White Chicks to the low-class know-nothing Joe Sixpack??


I think that person meant that they didn't even HAVE good stuff TO recommend for the most part. At least that's what I understood. Believe me, after living in a town of 10,000 people for 3.5 years, I understand that way of thought. When my only choices were Movie Gallery and Great American Video... (To add to your shock factor, I don't think they had a copy of Casablanca either. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure they didn't. I had to set my TiVo to record it when it happened to be on TNT.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is like a free-for-all...

Quote:
I dont think you know what a real late fee is...at all. If we were really charging late fees, you would be charged the price of the rental every week it is late. That simply doesnt happen anymore. If your movie is a week late, you get a TEMPORARY fee, which is totally whiped clean the second you return it. So in essence, it's (sort of) a late fee, just a different kind, I guess you're right about that. But it's more than fair.


And after all that explanation, you're not surprised that Blockbuster customers don't "know what a real late fee is"?

Quote:

What does my college education have to do with movie knowledge? Im having trouble with that one. I don't think the offer credit on a cinema course there, cheif. At least not for my major. Even so, it would have NOTHING to do with the majority of movies we carry.


Think of it like this. If you work at a clothes store, it might be a good idea to learn some things about… clothes! If you work at a pet store, maybe learn some stuff about, animals and shit. If you work at a movie store, learn what the hell those little black bars are there for. It's not like the director's trying to pull a fast one on you.

Quote:
Ooohhhhh my degree is worthless because I've seen white chicks. Repeat that to yourself and see how silly it sounds. Yes, I've seen the movie. I get free rentals just like you did. Does this mean that I have a matching t-shirt and tote bag? No. It was an awful film, I knew that before I made the decision to rent it, even for free. I watched about twenty minutes of it.


Sorry if we're making broad, sweeping judgments about our audience (you) and exaggerating certain claims. I can't think of a company (ahem, Blockbuster) that might do that!

Quote:
Nowhere in your sophomoric, incoherent ramblings


The fact that you don't understand what we're saying is probably not something you should admit.

Quote:

I forget...who else was it that worked there again? Oh yeah... you! You moron, you dolt. You're so undeducated. Oh but you know everything you know about movies makes you intelligent then eh?


Look, I honestly don't give a fuck about spelling, but unDEDucated? Was that really necessary? But yeah, I did work there. And I can assure you I was the only person there who knew a thing about film and I can also assure you I will never work there again. I just recently worked at a clothes department, and you know what, every one of my co-workers knew about the styles/sizes we were selling. Every one! That's a requirement. But god forbid a Blockbuster employee know what Citizen Kane is.

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that the reason people this age work anywhere is to make MONEY? Nobody has the luxury to be so thickle with their employment...nobody. Maybe you're incredibly rich or something, and you get to choose whatever job you want.


Hehe, this isn't the 1920's dude. I hardly doubt Blockbuster's the ONLY employer in town. Because if it was, well I'm going to assume that somebody else would have the job instead of you.

But I completely agree, everybody's looking to get paid. And if it wasn't for corporations like Blockbuster, it would be a LOT easier for you to work at a video store with integrity, because then maybe one would EXIST in your area.

Quote:
I didnt come here to insult people, only defend stupid crap I see.


Repeat that to yourself and see how silly it sounds.
Quote:

As far as blockbuster losing money, this is a summer job, and I dont care. I'm on for another couple months. But thanks for staying on topic for once.


I thought Blockbuster was there to MAKE money though, that's kind of the point of diminishing art to retail products?

Quote:
Gotta stick with what you've got, ya know?


I know that you have good movies in your store. Recommend them to folks, you might find that those blue collar townspeople actually like watching GOOD movies, if you'd give them the chance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 1818
Location: Sunderland, England

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
People here are blue collar, and they earn their living the hard, old fashioned way. They dont have time to sit around watching tv guide or read the new yorker. They come in after work to get something, so they can go home and watch it before they fall asleep and have to do it all over again the next day at 5 am...if they're lucky. Vancouver is a much much much much bigger area. This is a small town here. The opportunities aren't that great. I would be much more invested in the idea of selling people on movies that aren't entirely devoid of artistic, cinematic vision, if I was in a big city like you. But I'm not. Gotta stick with what you've got, ya know?



Oh please, don't give me this patronising 'working-class-are-simple-folks' crap. My dad's a blue-collar guy, worked on a factory floor his whole life and no way on earth would he waste his time with shit like White Chicks.

His favourite films? Cinema Paradiso, The Searchers, The Maltese Falcon, The Graduate, Donnie Darko, Trainspotting amonst others.

Funnily enough, it's been a loooooong time since he went anywhere near a Blockbuster.
_________________
"We hate the French! We fight wars against the French! Did all those men die in vain on the fields of Agincourt? Was the man who burned Joan of Arc just wasting good matches?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lindy03



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Posts: 1723
Location: usa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the argument, but oh so ready...

chansta wrote:
Again, you miss the point. I dont think you know what a real late fee is...at all. If we were really charging late fees, you would be charged the price of the rental every week it is late. That simply doesnt happen anymore. If your movie is a week late, you get a TEMPORARY fee, which is totally whiped clean the second you return it. So in essence, it's (sort of) a late fee, just a different kind, I guess you're right about that. But it's more than fair.
NO, Honey, YOU miss the point.

chansta wrote:
What does my college education have to do with movie knowledge? Im having trouble with that one.
Where do you go to college? What is your major? What in God's name do you think you're learning???

Let me help...why don't you look up "FALSE ADVERTISING AND THE LAW: COPING WITH TODAY'S CHALLENGES"

This is from the The Federal Trade Commission. You know...the government. The group that is supposed to be looking out for the consumer.
Quote:
The Commission's principle and most visible role is its "traditional " advertising law enforcement function. The FTC is charged with protecting consumers from "unfair methods of competition" and "unfair or deceptive acts or practices" in the marketplace.(1) Although the Commission seeks to foster a national advertising environment that is both competitive and creative, at the same time, it requires that all claims be nondeceptive and substantiated. This is true regardless of whether you use print or broadcast ads or whether you advertise on the Internet.

Or, let's try this:
False advertising
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Quote:
False advertising is an act of deliberately misleading a potential client about a product, service or a company in general by reporting false or misrepresenting information or data in advertising or other promotional materials. False advertising is a type of fraud.

False advertising is often a crime.
A crime...it's a C-R-I-M-E to say to the consumer in big, bold print NO MORE LATE FEES and, then, in the fine print, at the bottom, go right ahead and charge ANY fee. Can you read that? See, that's a C-R-I-M-E.

chansta wrote:
I don't think the offer credit on a cinema course there, cheif. At least not for my major.
That's really very sad. You know, people do actually major in film. That way, they learn things about movies. And, as Oz pointed out to you, you mispelled "chief." You have mispelled a lot of words. You do know about Dictionary.com, right? You can go there anytime and look up a word. It's very helpful. I would think, as a college student, you would find it invaluable.

chansta wrote:
We carry titles based on what you rent. Plain and simple. This is a fact, plain and simple.
This is also really sad. You know, one of the reasons I love Netflix so much is that they have EVERYTHING. I don't have to go to the crappy Blockbuster down the street. I can watch anything I want & it isn't a hassle at all.

A few years ago, I went to Blockbuster to rent War Games. They didn't have it. In fact, the girl behind the counter didn't know what film I was talking about. Have you heard of it? Probably not. it's a great flick, you should see it sometime. Blockbuster won't have it, though. It's old, like 20 years or something. OMG! That's so old!!! I'm shocked that your Blockbuster had Casablanca. That movie is, like ancient, OMG! Those people that were in it are all, like, dead!

chansta wrote:
Maybe you should double check your homework. Our store only carries one format. This has been verified every day I have worked there by people who have asked, and Managers who offer explanation.
Do your managers know the difference? You know, when you watch a film that has those "annoying little boxes on top & bottom," you are actually seeing the entire film, as it was meant to be seen??? You knew that, right?

All reasons why I don't rent at Blockbuster, thereby, putting you out of a job.
_________________
GO EAGLES
GO PHILLIES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chansta



Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: holy crap Reply with quote

First off, let me just start by saying that, while I shouldn't care about my tone, I wrote my first responses with a 'tude after a bad day. My fault. Anger often makes otherwise intelligent people seem utterly ignorant. Such was the case with my last ramblings. Anyway, with that being said:
Let me clarify a few things here.
I'm sticking to my guns about the late fees, I think it's fair to have a movie out for a crazy amount of time and still pay a SMALL fee. If you're an adult you can read a box and drop it in a slot. End of story.
Sophomoric means juvenile.

My point about the blue collar thing was broad, im not trying to suggest that EVERY person with a certain profession, salary, or one who lives in a specific residential area falls into the Gomer Pile (sp)? stereotype. I just know what comes into MY store. I've taken time to get to know the customers pretty well, because it's a small store and that doesnt take long to do here.
Another thing to consider is money. Duh. But most of the classics are older, and still on VHS. It costs alot more money to order VHS tapes than dvd's because there are so many moving parts. And typically, we've phased out the vast majority of our vhs copies to make room for the new technology. Another reason we have fewer classics.

Again, thickle means picky.

If I worked there all day and all night and saw everyone that came into the store THAT MUCH, maybe then I could offer better reccomendations. But what you're talking about is an extremely intimate understanding of what everyone likes. You can only offer like titles or make broad suggestions unless you really really know someone well. They're in the store for about ten minutes at a time, which makes it a little hard to do.

As a sales associate in a very small store all I can offer you is what we have. HOWEVER, I'm not at all opposed to offering other titles at other, larger stores that are more worth the time. When people ask me what I think about certain movies, I'm really honest about it. I tell people to stay away from things that, in my humble opinion, were cinematic failures. But I don't try to pass off my opinons as a universal truth. That would just be pompous. Also, I am by no means well versed in movie knowledge. Im quite sure that much was made obvious early on. Movies are great, and I do enjoy them, but I never got around to seeing half the things I wanted. If I'm not sure what to offer, we have other people in the store who are much more knowledgable to which I refer our patrons.

And yes, I work there because this IS the place that hired me. Ive got bills, and they called me back before anyone else. I worked at a grocery store when I was in high school. Let's face it, I was fifteen, what other references did I have? Did I have an expansive knowledge of grocery? Nope, but I got the job because they needed a hand for the summer. Just like blockbuster.

My spelling is, again, irrelevant. You can still read it right? I thought so. This is an online blog, not a dissertation. So dictionary.com doesn't come into the picture. I'm sure einstein spelled a few things wrong in his day. Ever hear of Garner's eight areas of intelligence? Some people are mathematical geniuses but can't spell a lick. Just an example. Get over it already (Lindy)

And, finally, unless I was going to film school, stop knocking on my education. That last comment was rediculous, really. As if blockbuster and my coursework are somehow magically intertwined. Stop it. As far as late fees are concerned, I'm over it. And to be fair, if someone is truly confused, I call a manager over and we take off the fee for them. There is no reason to charge loyal customers extra money and scare them away if they really don't get it.


Thank you for getting the point about classics in blockbuster. People like what's new. Believe me, I've seen the figures. For MY store. So again, I'm not trying to suggest that local yokels dont know any classics. I dont know them, Im not judging them. But the ones I DO know, that frequent our location, don't care for my older reccomendations, and they dont have vcr's anymore, so it's pointless to try for some people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 8532
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL USA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: holy crap Reply with quote

chansta wrote:
I'm sticking to my guns about the late fees, I think it's fair to have a movie out for a crazy amount of time and still pay a SMALL fee. If you're an adult you can read a box and drop it in a slot. End of story. Sophomoric means juvenile.


OK, fine. BUT THEN DON'T ADVERTISE NO LATE FEES!!!

chansta wrote:
My point about the blue collar thing was broad, im not trying to suggest that EVERY person with a certain profession, salary, or one who lives in a specific residential area falls into the Gomer Pile (sp)? stereotype. I just know what comes into MY store. I've taken time to get to know the customers pretty well, because it's a small store and that doesnt take long to do here.


Let's never call Blockbuster "a small store"

chansta wrote:
Another thing to consider is money. Duh. But most of the classics are older, and still on VHS. It costs alot more money to order VHS tapes than dvd's because there are so many moving parts. And typically, we've phased out the vast majority of our vhs copies to make room for the new technology. Another reason we have fewer classics.


Um, most of these "classics" ARE indeed available on DVD. (Many of them at VERY, VERY cheap prices which means even cheaper to the store). And those that are NOT on DVD - Blockbuster probably never carried in the first place, even in the era of VHS.

chansta wrote:
My spelling is, again, irrelevant. You can still read it right? I thought so. This is an online blog, not a dissertation. So dictionary.com doesn't come into the picture. I'm sure einstein spelled a few things wrong in his day. Ever hear of Garner's eight areas of intelligence? Some people are mathematical geniuses but can't spell a lick. Just an example. Get over it already (Lindy)

And, finally, unless I was going to film school, stop knocking on my education. That last comment was rediculous, really.


PRICELESS!
_________________
Erik Childress
Online Film Critics Society / Chicago Film Critics Association
Nick Digilio - WGN Radio Chicago
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chansta



Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's this? All I see are my words being repeated back to me? Did you have something you wanted to say, or are you just having fun with the copy and paste thing? I suspect the latter. Regardless:

FACT: Blockbuster is a huge corporation/ franchise. My individual store is still small.

FACT: vhs copies cost about a hundred bucks each. Dvd's are about 12-24 bucks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 8532
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL USA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shit, Sherlock. Do you even listen? Didn't I just say that DVDs are cheap? Especially many of the classics?

And they may be $12-24 for you and me to buy. For Blockbuster and any retailer, its even cheaper.

And don't get sassy. You're way out of your league here.
_________________
Erik Childress
Online Film Critics Society / Chicago Film Critics Association
Nick Digilio - WGN Radio Chicago
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 690
Location: Champaign, IL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: holy crap Reply with quote

chansta wrote:
Again, thickle means picky.


Fickle. Fickle means picky.
_________________
The Sunday News Recap! Archive - Excuse me, do these effectively hide my thunder?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lindy03



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Posts: 1723
Location: usa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chansta, seriously, do you not understand False Advertising? No one here said it is wrong to charge late fees. No one argues that dumb asses who can't return a dvd (or vhs) in a timely fashion doesn't deserve to be charged. BUT what Blockbuster did was WRONG. In the NO MORE LATE FEES campaign, Blockbuster is deceiving the public. You said it yourself-they do still charge a fee. That is deceptive.

Here is a small list, from my Netflix queue, of the classics that will be delivered to me:
Inherit the Wind
For Me and My Gal
Take Me Out to the Ball Game
The Third Man
Blackboard Jungle
Giant
My Man Godfrey
The Lady Eve
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Annie Get Your Gun
42nd Street
Hud
The Long, Hot Summer
Easter Parade
Rebel Without a Cause: Special Edition
From Here to Eternity
High Noon
Key Largo
East of Eden: Special Edition
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Old Yeller
Black Beauty
In the Heat of the Night
To Sir, with Love
Spartacus
Ben-Hur
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Spellbound
The 39 Steps
It Happened One Night
Sunset Boulevard
The Apartment
Adam's Rib
Woman of the Year
To Have and Have Not
Gilda
Lawrence of Arabia
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Jezebel
12 Angry Men
The Grapes of Wrath
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Roman Holiday
Mrs. Miniver
The Hustler
The French Connection
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Anchors Aweigh
On the Town
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Best Years of Our Lives
How Green Was My Valley
His Girl Friday / Cary Grant on Film
Desk Set
The Three Faces of Eve
Butterfield 8
Splendor in the Grass
Dr. Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
Days of Wine and Roses
The Pink Panther
Gaslight
Gypsy
The Unsinkable Molly Brown
Notorious
Suspicion
Bringing Up Baby
The Big Sleep
Long Day's Journey into Night
The Glass Menagerie
Seven Year Itch

Every single one of these films is on DVD.
_________________
GO EAGLES
GO PHILLIES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 2630
Location: austin, tx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anger often makes otherwise intelligent people seem utterly ignorant. Such was the case with my last ramblings.


I don't know about that... but I do know that your ignorance makes intelligent people seem utterly angry.

Quote:
My point about the blue collar thing was broad, im not trying to suggest that EVERY person with a certain profession, salary, or one who lives in a specific residential area falls into the Gomer Pile (sp)? stereotype


Out of all the words that you've spelled wrong, GOMER PYLE is the one you're concerned about? But that's beside the point -- stereotyping customers is PRECISELY what you're doing.

Quote:

If I worked there all day and all night and saw everyone that came into the store THAT MUCH, maybe then I could offer better reccomendations. But what you're talking about is an extremely intimate understanding of what everyone likes. You can only offer like titles or make broad suggestions unless you really really know someone well. They're in the store for about ten minutes at a time, which makes it a little hard to do.


Wha? Well, you could ask them "what kind of movies do you like?" and then not recommend White Chicks. You don't have to sleep with/parent/befriend someone in order to pick out a few decent flicks for them. But we wouldn't want you going to those extraordinary lenghths as a Blockbuster employee, now would we?

Quote:

Did I have an expansive knowledge of grocery?


But didn't you have to learn about the groceries in the store once you were hired?

Quote:
As if blockbuster and my coursework are somehow magically intertwined. Stop it.


Hehe, did you just say "stop it"? Aw, that's cute. But anyways, no, we're saying that your coursework and intelligence relate to each other.

Quote:
My spelling is, again, irrelevant. You can still read it right? I thought so. This is an online blog, not a dissertation. So dictionary.com doesn't come into the picture. I'm sure einstein spelled a few things wrong in his day. Ever hear of Garner's eight areas of intelligence? Some people are mathematical geniuses but can't spell a lick. Just an example. Get over it already (Lindy)


Sure dictionary.com comes into the picture, just open it up in a new window Einstein!

Quote:
What's this? All I see are my words being repeated back to me?


I know -- aren't you funny?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine if the local hospital was paying so little for doctors that you could get a job in the casualty ward by virtue of "they called me first"?

Can you imagine if schools hired teachers based on the qualification that they "had bills to pay"?

Blockbuster joins The Gap, telemarketing companies, door to door sales firms, janitorial companies, fast food restaurants and escort agencies as a company that will take absolutely anyone as an employee, no matter how unqualified, just because they're prepared to take the job.

And that's why the company is losing hundreds of millions of dollars, getting schooled by NetFlix in the online market, and watching the industry that it overwhelmingly dominated for years slowly wither and die.

Enjoy your rent money. But don't for one second think that in all your time behind the Blockbuster counter that you've ever once given a customer reason to come back for your knowledge, expertise or impeccable service. You work on a production line, kid. You press a couple of buttons, recite a couple of phrases, process a credit card and say "next". In the global scheme of things, you have achieved the ranking of "semi-educated wage slave."

Cheif.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5525
Location: Philadelphia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, you guys KNOW I agree with you and that I detest the Blockbuster as much as anyone, but let's remember we're debating with an actual human being here. No reason to get so fucking aggressive, pals.
_________________
Scott Weinberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lindy03



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Posts: 1723
Location: usa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
Blockbuster joins The Gap, telemarketing companies, door to door sales firms, janitorial companies, fast food restaurants and escort agencies as a company that will take absolutely anyone as an employee, no matter how unqualified, just because they're prepared to take the job.
Hmmm...really? I would have thought that an escort agency would be looking for a little classier, little more intelligent sort of an employee.

Huh. Show's you what I know.
_________________
GO EAGLES
GO PHILLIES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genji



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Posts: 135
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguments are more fun when they're incoherent and aggressive!
_________________
It's a strange world
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Scott, but in case you forgot, we're dealing with a Blockbuster employee here... and as we all know from experience, the only way to get anything out of them is to yell and be as insulting as possible.

Common sense - not their forte.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 3401
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the generalizations are really starting to piss me off here. Every BB employee is a drooling retard, is that what I'm getting? Does that make every film critic a snooty fuckwad?

Working for a bad company doesn't make you automatically bad, just as working for a good company doesn't make you automatically good. So let's calm down, debate Chansta on the facts, calmly and politely.(Example: VHS tapes no longer cost $100. Haven't for years, pal; they've dropped down into the $20-40 range for most releases.)

No need to get thickle about it, cheif.

Dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 5895
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, that's just rediculous.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group