eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Beef With Netflix
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I may just sign up, buy some Peerbux, and get some older DVDs I've been wanting. Dunno if I'm gonna list any of mine though. If I don't want a DVD anymore, I just sell it on eBay.
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's a big "don't mess with PeerFlix" warning from me.

I joined up, bought some PeerBux, and intended to get some DVDs. However, soon after this, I read more deeply about how the system works (they really don't explain it very clearly up front) and changed my mind. I'm impulsive sometimes, I know.

So I e-mailed them and asked to cancel my account and refund the money I'd spent (since I hadn't actually used any of the PeerBux yet). The Web site pledges a 24-hour response time. Well, after three periods of 24 hours, I still hadn't heard anything. So I sent the same message.

Fast forward to now, fully 11 days after my initial contact. I've sent them five messages, all with the same request -- cancel and refund -- and have still had NO REPLY. Not a "sorry, we can't refund your money," not a "OK, we're working on it" -- NOTHING.

So I strongly recommend you avoid this company, if this is how shoddy their customer service is. Whatever problems you might have had with NetFlix's delivery time, there's no denying they've got killer customer service. PeerFlix, I have to say, sucks.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I read the fine print on it too, and decided not to join. Seems like they have a decent concept, but the execution is a bit sketchy. The first thing that turned me off was they say up front "join now and get your first DVD free". Then you read deeper and you find out that your free DVD is from a very limited selection and doesn't come with the case. wtf?

So, after hearing Eric's little customer service horror story I'm doubly inclined to pass.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, new beef with netfix - why is it that every second or third disc I get from them these days is fucked up and freezes halfway through the goddamn movie? They need to start putting protective skins on them or something - although half the time I can't see any real damage on the disc surface, so maybe it's an issue with shoddy pressing. All I know is I'm rather pissed that I'll have to wait 2-3 business days before I can finish this fucking Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers extended edition (which is already starting to feel longer than the entire trilogy) Mad
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've decided I like Netflix. Because I am now on my SECOND free trial. Didn't even have to use a new card.

I wonder if Blockbuster Online has forgotten about me too... Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just signed up too. Looks like a good place to get rid of all those stored straight to video titles I've been meaning to throw on eBay.

The more people sign up, the better it'll be. But right now, it's not bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShareBuster.com allows you lend your DVDs/CDs to other members instead of giving your stuff away. In this way, you can lend one item multiple times and earn more than one point from it. The more points you earn, the more items you can borrow from others.

A common concern about DVD/CD swapping is how to avoid giving away good/popular items and stucking with the bad/unpopular ones. ShareBuster seems like a good answer to it. Also, you don't have to have a big inventory to keep things coming to you. As long as you have a couple of good items that other people are always interested in, you are in business.

If you like to give it a try, you can click the following link with the $5.00 coupon code. Once you register with a valid US address, you can get the $5.00 credit.

http://www.sharebuster.com/register.php?couponCode=760925

Enjoy it!

Tom

Last edited by tomx on Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone......?
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried ShareBuster, but I gave Peerflix a shot and I'm just about done with them. Beefs:

1) With Peerflix, you have absolutely no control over what you get. In fact, it seems that the biggest factor in deciding what disc you'll get is not 'what I want', but rather 'what the people near you have'. I keep getting discs from other Vancouverites, but they're all shit - the stuff I had listed at #97 and #145 on my "discs I want" list.

2) So I decided to remove the bottom 150 of the 200 discs I'd said I wanted, thinking now I'd get the stuff I really wanted. Only, I can't seem to change the order of the 'want' list. I change it, yet it doesn't accept the changes.

3) A LOT of people seem to be going out and buying 50c DVDs of 70's TV movies so they can earn peerbux putting them online, without actually contributing anything worth getting.

4) The postage cited on the delivery instructions (50c) was actually half what it costs to send a disc in the post using their envelopes, at least according to my local postie.

5) I put a lot of decent discs up on this service - not great, but decent - and I can't find anything worth asking for in return. And when I do, someone else is asking for it two days later.

All in all, the Peerflix concept would work great... if the people who were running it didn't think their shit doesn't smell, and maybe put some money back into the system once in a while.

One point of note, at least for Canadians (especially Vancouverites), Videomatica is now doing online rentals of new and way old movies, at prices similar to Zip and VHQ, but with 24hr turnaround. And it's VIDEOMATICA, so you know they give a damn about the movies, and have the kind of selection that a movie fan will dig. I'm ditching Peerflix and Zip, and moving to Videomatica's online system right now.

http://www.videomatica.ca
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that Netflix has vastly improved since my initial bitch. I canceled the service after I moved and lasted about two weeks until I realized I couldn't live without it.

Since rejoining, my one day turnaround is back. The problem may have been with the mail service in my old neighborhood. I moved about four miles north, and now things are all good again.

I love you Netflix. And I'm sorry we fought.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I still love Netflix's turnaround time. But I'm really tired of all the fucked up discs! some of these don't even appear to be damaged, and they freeze up on me. Maybe the Xbox is part of the problem, but it seems to be just fine with games or store-bough DVD's. Only the netflix ones seem to be messed up.

Oh well, 4 more months and I'm getting a 360 anyway
lindy03

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Netflix & thank all for recommending it & for helping me select movies!!!!!!!

Actually, a few weeks after the posting of the initial beef, I received an email from Netflix...a questionaire, really, asking if a certain movie shipped had arrived on the day they were saying it would. Since then, I have received two more like that.

I appreciate that...as if the comapny heard your complaint, Luke, and are responding to all members.

Very cool, in my opinion Very Happy
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started my 3rd free trial.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Luke Pyzik
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheater.

But you're a college student, so I guess it's ok. When I was in school I sold plasma so I could buy a movie ticket and a six pack.

Your way is much better.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> DVD Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: