eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time To Boycott AMC Theatres

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Time To Boycott AMC Theatres Reply with quote

From Newsweek:

'Smatter, Can't You Take a Joke?

If you want to hear the dirtiest joke ever told... don't bother heading for your local AMC megaplex. The theater chain has decided not to show the buzzed-about documentary "The Aristocrats" on any of its 3,500-plus screens, and the filmmakers aren't laughing. The $20,000 unrated film features 102 comedians, each telling the same infamous joke—involving a XXX stage act—passed down from comic to comic since vaudeville. (The punch line is the film's title.) Despite great test screenings—and a cast with figures ranging from Jon Stewart to Phyllis Diller—AMC's film group chairman, Dick Walsh, decided, according to a company spokeswoman, the film "would have very narrow appeal."

The filmmakers think that's ridiculous. "Look, it's a stupid little movie that people are loving," says executive producer Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller). "So this is like a supermarket announcing that it's not going to carry vegetables. It's their right to do that. It's just a goofy decision based on one person's taste." (Last year AMC did show John Waters's NC-17 nymphomania comedy, "A Dirty Shame," which made only $1.3 million.) ThinkFilm, which is distributing "The Aristocrats," says that AMC had agreed to show the film at theaters in Atlanta and Chicago, but then renege. "In my 20 years in this business, I've never heard of this happening," says ThinkFilm CEO Jeff Sackman. AMC counters that it "considered" booking the film but never committed to do so.

AMC is such a huge chain that its snub may make it harder for "The Aristocrats" to reach its audience. "It's the kind of thing that makes you go 'Come on, play fair'," says Jillette. "It's not like we're trying to slide this by anybody by calling it 'Love Bug 2: Herbie Takes It Up the A—'." Actually, that would give a more accurate idea of what you'll hear in "The Aristocrats"—if you can find it.

Here's the trailer to one of the best and funniest films of the year - http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/the_aristocrats.html
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But was anyone expecting this to play anywhere but in art houses? C'mon. Unrated stuff rarely plays multiplexes, especially something with a small distribution company as ThinkFilm.

Just sayin'. I doubt Jillette and Provenza were surprised at this move.

Dave
CaptainFun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not surprised they did it either. Shame though, it looks brilliant. Guess I'll have to wait for it to come on IFC. Sad
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing it tonight Smile
guitarman0087

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: amc Reply with quote

thats not to cool

AMC recently merged with Loews theatres
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I never expected it to play AMC/Loews, or any major chain -- but the guys are taking money out of their own pockets ... for what reason?

My guess is that they don't feel like policing the ticket-buyers and dealing with the angry parents when Johnny Bar Mitzvah somehow makes it into a screening.

Folks, if you have to drive an extra 20 miles to see this movie, do it. You won't see many movies that are funnier than this one.
lindy03

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh God, what is the big deal?

But, AMC is based in the bible belt. What the heck did anyone expect?

Twisted Evil
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAngryJew wrote:
Folks, if you have to drive an extra 20 miles to see this movie, do it. You won't see many movies that are funnier than this one.

Well said. I'm anxious for its Cincy opening, so I can take the missus. It's currently a major contender for my pick for best movie of 2005.

Dave

Edited: Do check out the movie's IMDB page. The user comment from "RT Firefly" is HYSTERICAL. He calls it "The Aristocrap" (love it already), then spends paragraph after paragraph deriding the film for "going for shock value." Obviously, the dude missed the whole point, didn't he?

Better still: he bitches that as told, most versions of the joke don't make sense (!), and that cleaner versions of the joke, ones more in tune with the punchline in mind, would be funnier. (The hell? Was he not paying attention?)

He ends with "Is it just me, or is modern comedy turning rancid?" Sigh. These are the people this movie has to fight, people.
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd heard that the film was only gonna get a very limited release anyhow, so what difference does it make? Now, the film will earn about $5,000 less. They'll live.

I've gotta see this movie. And I've been trying to avoid any discussions about it so I'll hear the joke for the first time when I see the film. (Am I the only one?)

UDM
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can verify that A)the movie is filthy as fuck and B)People like this "Firefly" moron just do not get it at all . . . and sadly, they appear to be in the majority. How else do you explain why we are saddled with another four years of Dubya's reign?

His comment that "modern comedy is turning rancid" is the most retarded at all, since this joke is so old nobody even knows the origin of it. Obviously not just a product of "modern" comedy, eh?

douchebag.
the Grinch
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One step ahead. I already boycott AMC, they're THE WORST. I'll do Cinemark, but AMC is a joke. And to boot, they've put all the mom and pop places out of business except for one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UDM wrote:
I've gotta see this movie. And I've been trying to avoid any discussions about it so I'll hear the joke for the first time when I see the film. (Am I the only one?)

I was doing that until I saw the movie for the first time, and then I realized that even if I'd heard The Joke beforehand, it wouldn't have mattered. The Joke gets told within the first five minutes, and it's not really a big "revelation." It's not really even a very good joke, as several of the comedians point out. It's the middle part of it, immediately preceding the punchline, where the teller gets to improvise as filthily and at length as he desires, that's funny. And obviously that part of it couldn't be "spoiled" for you, because it's different every time.

So don't worry about being too vigilant in avoiding discussions. Knowing The Joke beforehand won't hurt your enjoyment of the film even one tiny bit.

I've seen it twice, and the second time might have been funnier than the first. Smile
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Grinch wrote:
I already boycott AMC, they're THE WORST. I'll do Cinemark, but AMC is a joke.

How so? I'm no multiplex fan, but they've done nothing nasty 'round here that I've heard. Do tell.

MrTinkles wrote:
I've seen it twice, and the second time might have been funnier than the first.

Damn good to hear. I've been worried that it would lose its bite.

Dave
Oz
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to add but:

1) Fuck AMC. Their loss, as this movie will make big coin for an unrated flick.

2) Go see it. Great god almighty, go see it.

The Baby Jesus loves the word 'fuck'.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see it. Anything with Bob Saget in the trailer has to be funny.
TheSentinel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

Quote:
His comment that "modern comedy is turning rancid" is the most retarded at all, since this joke is so old nobody even knows the origin of it. Obviously not just a product of "modern" comedy, eh?

And do you think they'd make an entire movie based aroubd it and go for a wide circulation before, say, the 60s?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: