eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cult Fav TV Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Cult Fav TV Shows Reply with quote

We've done the movie's bit.

What are your favorite Cult TV shows?

Dr. Katz: Professional Therapist

Jokes from this show still crack me up when I think of them. "Gregory, Schmegory." It was a black day in broadcast history when it was cancelled. You can't even see the re-runs anymore.
'Go fruke yourself'

Sports Night

Yeah, its as good as you heard. And its over. It makes watching the re-runs painful. I don't care what you say about the next tv projects of the writers and producers, Sports Night was the ultimate.

Insomniac
I'm not a huge fan of Dave Atell's standup (Dr. Katz excepted,) but this show is hysterical. Watch it now while you still can.

Homicide:

Had a good run and even a sequel movie. When it was in its prime, the characters and the plot arcs (Georgia Raye Mahoney) were engrossing, the editing experimental and raw.

These are a few of my favorite things.

-M
More as I remember them

Last edited by Maegs on Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charles Tatum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched "The X Files" right up to the end, even after David Duchovny left.

"Will & Grace" reruns are entertaining because of Megan Mullally's Karen Walker, who out AbFab's my other favorite drunk women show, "Absolutely Fabulous."

"Scrubs" is funnier than hell, John C. McKinley's Dr. Cox is my hero.

Of course, my all time favorite show is "Mystery Science Theater 3000." That show is the only one that made me laugh so hard, I climaxed a little bit. "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" and "Eegah!" are my top two.
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give you X-Files & MST3K, but can you really call Will & Grace a cult TV favorite? Its huge. When it premiered as a mid season, Scrubs would have counted as a cult-fav. Since its a hit now, if not yet stratospheric, can it still be labeled cult TV?

-M
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking cult hit to mean I liked them, people I know liked them, but the public in general didn't (or won't) catch on.

I agree with Homicide and Sports Night and would add:

Andy Richter Controls the Universe
Strangers with Candy
The Job
Now and Again (which they play now on Sci Fi channel Smile )
Jon Stewart's other talk show -- the one where he took a golf club to a cardboard cutout of Kathie Lee Gifford, if memory serves....

That's all I've got for now.
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Flight was the coolest TV show in history:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0283764

I'm not the only one who thinks so. Check out all the raves on Jumptheshark.com.

UDM
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, Night Flight - a stoner's Friday night haven. I remember it well - well, not all that well actually, but I remember it.

I also miss

Fridays - ABC's failed answer to SNL

that crappy show that KLOS DJ Frazier Smith used to host on late night weekends. God knows what it was called.

more recently, the slew of brilliant cancelled shows on Comedy Central: Upright Citizen's Brigade, Strangers with Candy, TV Funhouse, Project Searchlight, etc. Great shows still on the air there - Daily Show, Insomniac with Dave Attell, and Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn isn't shaping up too badly.

Most of the stuff on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim: Aqua Teen Hungerforce, Brak Show, Sealab 2021, Home Movies, Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law, Space Ghost

Homicide, of course. Also, a little-known show from the 80's called UNSUBS (Unknown Subjects) about forensic investigators. It was an excellent show that died in less than a season. Also, the new Dead Zone has been mostly excellent - NEW SEASON STARTS SUNDAY!
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The State
Monty Python
Kids in the Hall
Mr. Show
Duckman
The Critic
Futurama
MST3K
Police Squad!
Amazing Stories

Love 'em all.
Charles Tatum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, God, what the hell happened to "The State"? MTV plays all their crap over and over again, but never seemed to rerun this brilliance. Also, throw in "Kids in the Hall," which CBS used to relegate to late Friday nite doom.

I watch "Will & Grace" because of Megan Mullally, not because I am gay (I ain't), unlike a couple of my gay friends who watch anything that smacks of same sex unions just because it has gay characters, i.e. the continued success of the boring "Queer as Folk."
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching reruns of Roswell on the Sci Fi channel. It's a good guilty pleasure, all teen angst and alien lovin'.
Kelly Palma
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead Zone -- who would have ever thought that Anthony Michael Hall would of turned out so hot. Cool

Also all those home shows on TLC and HGTV - they are sometimes the only thing on at 3 or 4 in the morning - so I get my fill of them at work if it's a slow night..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: