eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Half Life 2 for X-Box... and stuff

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Half Life 2 for X-Box... and stuff Reply with quote

Just read the review on UGO.com (which to be honest, I always take with a little grain of salt, particularly after the numerous Halo bashings they dole out through the course of the review despite being some of the first folks to line up and generously lick Halo's O-ring at release), and despite all that... ooops, poohed just a bit in the drawers- looks really, really great.

Now I don't have it yet, but I've been itching to try this contender out, and my dear wife may just have gotten it for me as a holiday gift (she's currently playing the Warcraft box set I got for her- III and Frozen Throne), and I can't wait to tackle HL 2- any of you boys gonna pick this up, or have you already digested it on the PC version- Weinberg, McKay? Anyone?

Me, I'm currently in the middle of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and having a swell, swell time indeed- a nice way to unwind at the end of the day- beating the shit out of a whole city- Glorious. Visually, its not as arresting as the Spider Man II free roamer in NYC, here being more of an "Anyplace USA", but its still great graphics by any standard, plenty of things to do, and wonder of wonders, not as tiresome as the aforementioned Spidey game could be, doing all those annoying good deeds like saving balloons and beating up carjackers, which, though fun, got really tired by the 1,400th time I needed to do it to advance the plot. Any of you guys tried this out as well? The boss fights are a lot of fun too- no tricks, just drag em' down and beat the living glowing green gamma shit out of them.

At this rate, I may never finish Fantastic Four- its a decent enough game, especially playing it co-op with Amanda, but just not as fun as free range havoc. Besides, we're stuck fighting giant statues in the Diablo segment, and for you comic fans out there, well you know if you have problems fighting Diablo... you might as well hang it up. Besides, I got her X-Men Legends II for her gift, and she's gonna want to hit that one asap as we loved playing the last one together- somehow that game's playability was a bit more interesting than FF, though FF's graphics are undeniably better (but I get to be Magneto and Juggernaut).

And of course, I want to fight Dr. Doom and Annihilus, so no putting down FF for me. I'd play it alone, but it was agreed that we do that one together. This may be one of the reasons nothing gets done. Hmmmn.

I'm also all but quit on Predator: Concrete Jungle as it has proved itself 2005's MOST FRUSTRATING GAME due to a terminally idiotic lack of saving opportunities, requiring one to play out the entire scenario from start to finish flawlessly, or, failing that, having to start from the very beginning over and over and over and over again.

Honestly, the gameplay, fighting, Predator abilities, environment- they are all top notch, but as the level difficulty increases, having to start from point A again and again to get to point B without even the slightest break in terms of a middle ground makes my teeth grind. Its no longer fun. Its a chore, and I'm pissed off, as I'd quit the game if not for the promise of battling xenomorphs a few levels from now, a bonus surprise I did not see when I picked up the game. I hate it when games lack a omniversal save option, or at least a middle ground save point- its not the difficulty of the level that's killing me, its the irksome nature of repeating the easier parts to get to the good stuff, and having to do it all in a specific formula with no variation- its a game-killer, and I despite really enjoying many of the game dynamics, this one's getting dangerously close to trade-in material, particularly with all the more competent games promising to be on my plate soon.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your recommendation in the other thread, I added Half Life 2 to my queue. I was never that big a fan of the first one (I always much preferred the Quake or Halo games) but it sounds pretty sweet.

That Predator game sounds like a bitch. I used to try and tough out those laborious games, but the older I get, the more impatient I get. I figure, "I could spend another 20 hours on this thing trying to beat it, and cursing and screaming all the way, or I can just send the fucker back and play something I like".

Come to think of it. I think I'll start a thread called "Most @$%& frustrating Video Games EVER"
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="y2mckay"]
That Predator game sounds like a bitch. I used to try and tough out those laborious games, but the older I get, the more impatient I get. I figure, "I could spend another 20 hours on this thing trying to beat it, and cursing and screaming all the way, or I can just send the fucker back and play something I like".
quote]

This has become my bible with regards to all things videogame. I used to dislike putting the console down and moving on, but honestly, when it comes to a point where its more effort and frustration than fun (and not fun, challenging effort, mind you but glitches and poor game design that cause undue time and trouble for the player), I walk away. Walked away from FF, walked away from Predator, walked away from Silent Hill 2 (okay, that one just wasn't firing for me- nothing actually wrong with the game itself).
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: