eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Day has come! (XBOX 360 first impressions)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: My Day has come! (XBOX 360 first impressions) Reply with quote

Set up the new Hi-Def and 360 last night (don't ask how I was able to get my hands on all of that shit at once, but I'm pretty sure my first born child will be owed to somebody should it ever be concieved).

First thing I noticed when taking it out of the box - that new component smell. I actually gave it a sniff and said "God, you smell good". I don't even talk that way to my girlfriend! Shocked Also, the power supply for this thing is literally a brick (thank God it's in the power cord and seperate from the case). You could beat a man to death with it. It could be used as a substitute flail in the arena, it's that damn heavy.

The headset and wireless controllers are FLAWLESS. Big props on those, because that old headset was ass. The console itself runs quietly and the brick doesn't throw off much heat (contrary to early reports that it was noisy and ran hot).

The console itself rocks. It really is a new era of gaming. Stunning, awesome graphics and 5.1 surround sound aside, it just has so many cool features built in. You can go into a private chat mode with people on your friends list and talk to them even if you're not in the same game! and while in the same game, you can still have it on so that you only hear each other and not all the annoying 13 year olds in the room running their mouths or all of the other ignorant shit-talking douchebags who usually pop up and ruin the Live experience for me. So fucking nice!

Then there's all the shit you can download for free - movie trailers, game demos, etc. etc. Then there's the ability to stream MP3's from your computer and play them with the visualizations, which are also amazing (I got baked and threw in a Queens of the Stone Age concert CD - it kicked all kinds of ass). Oh, and you can play DVD's without needing a seperate remote. Best of all, you can turn the console on and off from the controller. No more having to get up to hit the power button. It's a lazy couchmonger's wet dream.

Playing on Live was almost perfect. Only had one round of Call of Duty 2 that lagged a bit, and as soon as someone dropped out, it was back to normal. The frame rate is just as smooth as it is during single player mode.

So far, my only complaint is that you still have to get up and press the button to eject the tray once a disc is in there. Waaaaahhhhhh.

Seriously, if you're a gamer, and you can at all find a way to swing a Hi_Def TV (there are several now for under a grand) and get your hands on a 360 - well, prepare to be spoiled freaking rotten. I'd just do without any gaming console before I'd go back to my old setup.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats McKay, I know you've been jazzed to give this thing a run- nice to hear about the HD too- i want one sooooo bad, as does my wife, who is rabid about getting one, as she thinks we're missing too many extras on Lost which can only be seen on high def. I tell her she's nuts, but I still want HD. Half Life 2 would look... I can't think about it, the money's just not there, and I said we get a fish tank first... maaaaaybe.

But it sounds like you are having a great time with the thing with no regrets, which is great to hear. I'm glad its lived up to expectations.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks man. It's pretty awesome so far. I threw Sin City in last night just to watch the Marv segment and OH MY FUCKING GOD - the colors! the light and shadows! the textures! It looked better than it did in the theater. Hi Def is the shit. The only drag is that in order to get Hi Def cable, I'd have to use Comcast's DVR and it sucks. TIVO is way better - but it doesn't work with hi def (or at least my model doesn't, it's a few years old). Regular TV does look kinda shitty on it, but it's watchable.

Anyway, if you decide to ditch the fish tank and go HD shopping, talk to me. I'll give you some pointers. this is what I got, and I'm ecstatic with how good it looks: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7045397&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat31800050030&id=1099396990967
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bri, between you, me, the wall, and thousands of anonymous internet posters, if my wife gets the new job she's applying for...

well, we'll talk. You, me, Best Buy, Sea World.

Thanks for the HD link though. we'll check it out. We've already picked out the tank, so I think that's why it edges out the Tv for now.

By the way, how scary is it that not only do you and I horrify our fellow HBS'ers daily with phrases like "I'm the carrot, he's the stick", but you, like me, pop on Sin City "just to watch the Marv segment." Like taking out the trash or making dinner. Wunderbar. Race you to the clock tower!

I haven't gotten my hands on the SE Sin City DVD yet. Been too busy and spent most of the weekend watching "Nixon." I really have to get around to that.

Cue some righteous somebody coming on and commenting on the problems of two white males choosing between a fish tank and high def flatscreens while worrying about time to watch movies.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, here's my 2 cents - FUCK THE FISH Very Happy

nah, I understand. But definitely talk to me if you guys decide to go TV shopping. I'm loving mine so far - and even regular TV looks pretty good on it once you calibrate the screen size and everything (which makes me happy, cuz I don't have to give up TIVO).
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay bud, got the Hi Def- a 32" LCD FS Samsung from Best Buy. Christened it with Jackson's King Kong, then popped on Half Life-

Unbelieveable.

Gonna be having some fun with this baby. And I get to keep the fish tank too!
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! Glad you went with the Samsung - prettiest picture on the display wall by far, when I bought mine. I've been excstatic with it ever since.

Now all you need is the 360 and you're set (although even the regular xbox looks pretty fantastic if you have decent component cables).
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the cables came with the TV per the deal, the only cable we had to pick up was the adapter for the HDMI into the DVD player. But yes, X-box looks fantastic- couldn't be happier.

Samsung has the best pixel ratio of many, many others- an average of 3000 to 1 per, what I believe to be screen inch, whereas many of the others sizes 27-40 range from 1000 to 3000, but also don't factor in the screen size for the ratio. For a 32 inch, this works just fine, not breaking up into little squares during action sequences.

Of course, it can also work against a picture as well- the resolution is so high, the Apatosaur/Raptor stampede in King Kong ended up looking somewhat fake and rushed. But every frame with Kong in it looked absolutely wonderful, so I don't know if its picture or production.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's the production quality on the DVD, not the TV. I've never had a problem with the picture, whether it be the new Sin City disc, or the Blade Runner one that's 10 years old, all the movies I've watched on it look flawless so far. You've made a wise purchase, my friend. I heard of some horror stories about samsungs that gave me pause at first, but so far neither me nor my two friends who own them have had any problems at all (same goes for the 360, despite all of the initial launch reports of overheating and locking up, mine has been rock solid. It even survived a nasty power surge just fine).
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, we heard nothing but good on the Samsung- thus far, I'm inclined to agree. This model's been so popular in fact, the best buy we initially went to was completely out, so we had to drive to another one in a different area to pick it up, and they only had 2 left.

Its fucking awesome. I also got in a few licks at our ridiculous cable company, Suscom, that tried to worm an extra $10 a month for access to the HD broadcast channels- I told them it was extortion as we have the premium package, and they provide nothing but code whereas we have the necessary hardware on the tv- its not a matter of getting a new cable box- they relented and unlocked the HD in the face of my staggering logic. I hate cable companies- always looking for the angle to sop up some more dough.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, nice move on the cable company there. I hate Comcasst (formerly AT&T, who still owe me 170 bucks from the automatic payments they deducted for three months after I cancelled my service and returned their equipment - but that's another long story). I mean $110 a month for basic cable, internet, and a couple of extra IP addresses? blow me (at leat my company pays for half of it, but still). I salute anyone who sticks it to the cable company.

As far as HD channels goes, it would be nice, but I'm not paying an extra 15 a month for it. As long as my movies and games are in high-def, I really don't care about TV. Besides, at least my samsung is smart enough to adjust the picture size for TV signals, and doesn't stretch the picture out to fit the screen like a lot of HD sets do. And hell, the plain old TV signal still looks a lot better now than it did on my old POS TV.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: