eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jaws Unleashed and King Kong

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Jaws Unleashed and King Kong Reply with quote

so... Just finished both. Jaws first:

People who get really, really slaveringly, nerve in head throbbingly, tear up your home and beat someone close to you, frustrated over stupid, uncontrollable, random camera angles are going to be perpetrating some damage to their x-boxes and other assorted personal property. Let's get that out of the way first.

Despite that though, I have to say, both are worth playing, though perhaps Jaws should only be a rental, but for 15-19 used, $30 new, you could do a helluva lot worse.

For Jaws I'd say don't bother with the side challenges unless you are in it for upgrade points. The most fun the game has to offer is on four fronts:

- being a goddam huge shark that kills EVERYTHING- and let me be clear, its obvious that all time on this game design was spent soley on the shark-looks and acts fantastic- it even does some great breach leaps out of the water a la Seal Island great white behavior, and the stealth kills are very freaky when considering they are done just like actual shark behavior- a rush from below with a quick, devastating hit.

- Ironically, the best challenges in the game have Jaws doing some very un-sharklike behavior- grabbing torpedoes and spitting them at oil platforms, Coast guard boats, underwater mines, etc- despite acting more like a killer whale or dolphin in its intelligence, (not that I've ever seen any kind of aquatic mammal spitting torpedoes... except for this drunk manatee once...), these are actually highlight missions, though slamming boats and taking them down like the original film is certainly enjoyable. I should note some of the dumbest challenges having him really act strange- grabbing scientists and "swiping" them across security panels to open doors. Read that sentence again. Now again.

- Jaws fans will love the integration of elements from not only the films (A Water Park, a Sailboat Race, helicopters, fighting with barrels sticking out of you), but there is a really, really cool sequence for shark fans in general (like me) where you can actually creepily re-enact (not with game goals but on your own) the Mattawan Creek killings from 1918 that actually inspired the film by swimming up a brackish creek, turning around, and taking out the unsuspecting residents- but I'm just a sick fuck that way. That's me. Kill more humans, feed more sharks, yea Mattawan!

-the fun underwater life you can look for, fight and observe- sperm whales, blue whales (these are unfortunately easter eggs which you can find but can't interact with), whale sharks, salt water crocodiles, killer whales, dolphins, seals, narwahals, and a fun battle between two Benchley characters- the shark from Jaws and the Archeteuthis from "Beast".

Of course, the unintentional comedy here is that Amity Island appears to be the single most biodiverse environment on the planet. I mean, if Bush is looking to set aside protected water "Parks", look no further- this Long Island sound fictional resort has every arctic, tropical, salt and freshwater fish you could ever imagine, all partying down in these frigid, polluted New York coastal waters. Fun crazy people, fun crazy. Many of these fish are also counter-instinctually agressive, really laying in to a big predator when you swim around- so realists, take note- this is not discovery channel-friendly.

That said, the game can wear out its welcome quickly. The side challenges get old fast, particularly when there's only so much you can do as a shark (Swim, charge, bite), and items you are supposed to hunt for aren't really all that engaging that you should waste time doing so. The various water vehicles and swimmers can be cathartically dispatched, but that gets old after some time. I also hate, hate, hate racing challenges unless I'm playing a car game- dunno why, I just do. So the "get to the end of the cavern, cave, buoy, maze, etc. stuff is just death for me.

The main challenges offer enough variety, but getting to each one by running around the waters of the island can be time consuming, and uneventful to the point where you will pick up a book with one hand and simply point your analog stick with your thumb in some direction. Same with the handful of save points scattered throughout the island- a few more in key areas might have cut down on lots and lots of travel time. I don't buy into a game where going from point A to point B takes just as long as real life (a la San Andreas)- that just brings up uncomfortable questions of what I'm doing with my life.

But McKay will have a lot more time for pot during challenges I suppose.

So the technical problems:

The camera angles that throw you above and below the surface of the water at inopportune times, or rotate the view of the shark rather uncontrollably may provoke seziures and murder, depending on how much you spent on this game. You will spend too much time during your combat simply attempting to get your bearings and adjusting your POV and angle over and over again to be as effective as you could be.

This shark will get hung up on pylons, cages, rocks- I mean you will literally become one with solid objects and simply stay that way- now after a while I learned that its possible to untangle yourself with some tail whips and pushing in one direction, but man, this shark should not have Kitty Pryde Phasing powers that lock up your game.

After playing about 30 or so minutes, expect slowdown in frame rate, interminable pauses, and flat out breakdowns as your x-box (regular not 360) just doesn't process all of the info- your game will grind to a halt, and either you turn it off, restart, and have to play 15 minutes you just played, or you bring that book out again and cover about 20-50 pages while the console unties its technical knots and catches up with its data flow.

Aesthetic nits:

At the beginning I was ready to state for the record that other than the shark, the undersea environment is actually kinda boring and repetitive, but frankly that makes the challenges and special areas where you explore all the more interesting for it- a breath of fresh air if you will.

Replay:

No replay value whatsoever once its all over, often a problem with many free-roaming games- once the initial tasks and goals are met, well, wanna swim? Neither do I.

So make of that what you will. Also, a flat screen HD tv don't hurt the bells and whistles none.
y2mckay
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, playing as animals isn't really my thing - even if they are big killer animals. I've been squandering what little gaming time I have these days on Lord of the Rings:Batttle for Middle Earth 2, and it has rekindled the LOTR geekness inside of me. I may have to rent all 3 director's cuts of those movies and watch them back to back before the girlfriend moves in next month (cuz christ knows I'll never get a chance to do it after that).
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in Kong, you spend the lion's share of the time as Jack. Kongplay, as I like to call it, consists of very short battles and interludes, which provide a reasonably nice bit of variety and style.

In fact McKay, I'd highly recommend Kong to you for no other reason than playing as Jack, you have one of the most absolutely immersive, interesting FPS's to come along in quite some time for several reasons:

- No targeting reticles, ammo readouts, or health bar- this all adds to some truly immersive gameplay.

- A true human being in every sense- even Gordon Freeman can't beat Jack for sheer humanity- at various points in the game, the sounds of Jack's breathing are exhausted and just near wheezing for breath as he stumbles around the hostile landscape. Between the lack of techical gear like readouts and health bars, and his very interesting vulnerability, and lack of effectiveness during moments of injury, you have a solid character that really has to get by on nerve and sinew, particularly as there are some beasts no amount of human power can kill. Its fascinating.

Totally immersive, very replayable, and awesome in scope and ambition. But not without faults, which I'll address after boxing class.
level80

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Jaws Reply with quote

The description of this game reminds me a little of the game Ecco the Dolphin - although that's going back a long time.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprising Level, considering the makers of Jaws Unleashed and Ecco are one and the same. Of course, you probably don't care about that, you'd rather shill your cheat site.
level80

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Sega Reply with quote

Kand El wrote:
Not surprising Level, considering the makers of Jaws Unleashed and Ecco are one and the same. Of course, you probably don't care about that, you'd rather shill your cheat site.

Seeing as Ecco the Dolphin was last released a decade ago I'm very surprised anyone would write such a thing. I looked it up on gamefaqs though and it's untrue.

Ecco the Dolphin was developed by Novatrade and Sega. Jaws was developed by Appaloosa Interactive. I think by the very fact I looked it up shows you're wrong.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You looked it up? Wow. Amazing. I can look things up too. The internet is kinda nifty that way. Sit back baby, grab some popcorn daddy's goin' t' work- pay attention and learn:

http://games.ign.com/objects/026/026162.html

Appaloosa Interactive
Founded in 1982 in Hungary as Novotrade, this growing development house expanded to the US in 1989. Working closely with Sega, it created the ever-popular Ecco the Dolphin series and has released the less impressive 32-bit updates to Konami's Contra franchise for PlayStation and Saturn. It later changed its name to Appaloosa.

Learn somethin' new every day huh buddy? Just in case that didn't take, here's a few more.

From StarPluse.com:
http://www.starpulse.com/Video_Games/Jaws_Unleashed/Previews/
Jaws Unleashed is being developed by Appaloosa Interactive, developer of the award-winning Ecco the Dolphin series, so expect similar underwater controls but with pure destruction in mind, rather than helping others as a peaceful dolphin. The controls are very similar to Ecco: Defender of the Future for Dreamcast and PlayStation 2, so a single button will propel the mammoth beast while the analog stick handles him much like an aircraft, but underwater.

From IGN.com:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/665/665340p1.html

A short while ago, a creative developer by the name of Appaloosa developed an alternative platform game for the Sega Genesis called Ecco the Dolphin. In it, you played a smart and friendly dolphin who tried to save the world from destruction. The world of Ecco was filled with friendly fish, attack octopi and, of course, aliens. And the level design, swim mechanic, and the bosses were all complex and interesting. It was an altruistic game that exemplified a young, innocent side of videogames, which permeated the industry for a while.

Since then, apparently, Appaloosa has gone to the dark side. This one-time Genesis and Dreamcast developer has taken its 3D underwater engine and gone blood-lust on us. It plans to deliver Jaws: Unleashed, a limb-ripping, human-munching, blood-frenzy of a shark game in which you play a ruthless shark whose job it is to rip humans apart and kill everything in its path. Needless to say, the irony of Appaloosa's goes bone deep.

Granted, the latter two were a bit gratuitous. Just nailing the point home. I can find many, many more examples- the ones I've supplied took all of two minutes. In short Appaloosa developed the game mechanics- in short, they are the makers, once commissioned by Sega, etc. anc once going by the name of yes, you guessed it, Novotrade.

I've got no problem with some nice chatter on videogames, movies, etc. But I don't think that's why you're here dude. You are here to shill your site. I'm glad I could engage in even this much dialogue from you that wasn't simply crude generalizations meant to lull us into thinking you actually give a crap about anything other than getting your site link out there, but in the end you're a shill and today we seem to be up to our necks in them.

You want to come here and chat? Fine. You want to peddle your cheat site? Pop out the wallet and pony up for ad space the same way any other legitimate business does on this site. Toodles.
level80

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kand El wrote:
You looked it up? Wow. Amazing. I can look things up too. The internet is kinda nifty that way. Sit back baby, grab some popcorn daddy's goin' t' work- pay attention and learn:

http://games.ign.com/objects/026/026162.html

Appaloosa Interactive
Founded in 1982 in Hungary as Novotrade, this growing development house expanded to the US in 1989. Working closely with Sega, it created the ever-popular Ecco the Dolphin series and has released the less impressive 32-bit updates to Konami's Contra franchise for PlayStation and Saturn. It later changed its name to Appaloosa.

Learn somethin' new every day huh buddy? Just in case that didn't take, here's a few more.

OK, point taken, same developer different name. Oh and PS, happy now I've removed my signature?
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Hey man, we are all for some new blood in the forums, but when we got 50 postings for cell phones, celeb gossip, etc, and then you come in possibly with the very best of intentions but with a site link, I know I can get a little trigger happy. 'Specially on a thread I started. You wanna gab games, I'm all up for that, sorry for the hostilities, and happy to welcome you aboard. Its getting hard to tell friend from foe these days with all the spam slinging around.
level80

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: sorting out the spam from the users Reply with quote

Cell phones (ringtones) is a very commercial topic so I'm not suprised. Believe me if I was writing these posts purely to make money it wouldn't be a link to a video games site (which is an area with very little advertising in it - games tend to get free advertising in the press and through PR), but to something more commercially inclined like a site about mortgages or mesothelemia.

I too run a forum so I know how difficult it can be to stop the automated spambots from creating fake usernames/password and filling up the forum with links and spam.

The ways I found to counter this were:-

a) email any new user a randomly generated password and for a while

b) don't allow any outgoing links on the forum (or at least have them displayed as text and not autolink)

However I can assure you that I'm as human as you are. I can understand how if you started the thread after what you mention previously happened it could be annoying to find it potentially hijacked by what you saw as schilling. I kinda thought it was perfectly obvious from my username that I was connected with the site though. Personally I'm happy with the link just in a profile as I feel it's in some way a reward for actually writing this kind of thing. On slashdot there's the option to turn signatures off, maybe there is one on phpBB but I'm not really sure. Generally people ignore signatures though. For instance I've seen yours so many times now, my eyes just skip ahead rather than read every word.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: