eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

like it or not, you know you have an opinion!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, she's found God already? I expected that'd take at least 10 days.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fructooligosaccharides is a word.
Ben
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, laura, you keep bitching about people arguing against something that you're not saying...

first, just because you started the topic doesn't mean that it can't drift off into related areas.

second, the one thing you're arguing, you still haven't provided anything to back it up. it's hard to debate something without presenting actual facts. and what some random person on digg said doesn't qualify.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
People, stop explaining to me what she got in trouble for..

In September 2006, Hilton was arrested and charged with driving under the influence with a blood alcohol content of 0.08%, the minimum at which it is illegal to drive in California. Hilton's drivers license was subsequently suspended in November 2006, and in January 2007 she pled no contest to the alcohol-related reckless driving charge. Her punishment was 36 months' probation and fines of about $1,500.

On January 15, 2007, Hilton was pulled over for driving with a suspended license and signed a document acknowledging that she was not permitted to drive. On February 27, 2007 Hilton was caught driving 70 MPH in a 35 MPH zone, again with a suspended license. She also did not have her headlights on even though it was after dark. Prosecutors in the office of the Los Angeles City Attorney charged that those actions, along with the failure to enroll in a court-ordered alcohol education program constituted a violation of the terms of her probation.

*cackles sadistically*

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Ben
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway, here's my opinion on the whole matter...

let's say that she did receive a harsher punishment than most other people convicted of the same offenses. so what? i don't think the punishment was excessive for what she did, and in my book, there's nothing wrong with forcing her to actually serve her full sentence.

if the judge's actions were because she's a celebrity, wah wah. celebrities get plenty of preferential treatment on a daily basis, so if in one instance, one of them gets worse treatment, it's not the end of the world, and it's not the end of our judicial system as we know it.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing nobody has asked:

What the fuck is she doing driving, anyway? Doesn't she have a chauffeur or something to go get her when she's drunk? It's not like she has to drive with a suspended license because she has, y'know, a job. And no chauffeur.

----------
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind debating about a number of issues. I love to argue, you all know this. And none of my frustration has come from people disagreeing with me... it's come from people completely misrepresenting my argument.

People have been posing this to me: "Doesn't she deserve to go to jail? After all, she's offensive." Etc. When I NEVER ONCE SAID WHAT I THINK SHE DESERVES, in a moral sense. So, okay, fine... but whenever I tried to revert back to my original point, no one seemed to follow my line of reasoning and instead just kept arguing at me about something I never even had an opinion about. How can you disagree with my opinion, if you don't even seem to understand what my opinion is??? Did you even read the original article? Jesus.

Do I have to spell this out?? Egads! I didn't think Paris Hilton could obscure people's logic like this!

this

is

what

is

causing

me

to

get

super

annoyed

And I'm not "wah wah"-ing about Paris Hilton. I don't feel sorry for her, I think this experience actually might be a good thing for her. As for what I think a fair sentence should be, I've YET to chime in on that!!!!

Moreover, I didn't think the Digg quote was some amazing source, I just thought it was well said.

And whether or not you think the Sheriff's quotes are strong enough data or not, the point is still that people were saying she got favorable treatment, when there was NO EVIDENCE to say this to be the case, (and in fact I think plenty of argument to say the exact opposite).. this resulted from horrible reporting and a reactionary public that likes to throw stones at the rich and famous. (As I do with my blog, haha.)
Ben
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
How can you disagree with my opinion, if you don't even seem to understand what my opinion is??? Did you even read the original article? Jesus.

you're right. i guess i don't understand what your opinion is...

from your blog:

Quote:

Alas, the logic for her prison stay should depend on the answers to the following questions:
1. Was Paris' original sentence typical? (No! It was EXCESSIVE.)

again... facts, please. a 23 day jail stay for twice violating probation conditions for a DUI offense doesn't sound excessive to me. maybe it is compared to what other people have received, but i'll still wait for you to provide some kind of evidence.

Quote:

2. Was it a typical practice for the sheriff to do what he did? (YES. The jail was overcrowded and 90% of its inmates are felons, says the sheriff.

of course he's going to say something to support what he did. that doesn't make it true. second, the fact that it's "typical" doesn't make it ok.

Quote:

Paris doesn't belong there! If she was any less famous, she'd be back at home, happy as a dog -- who cares if they justified her release with a medical condition?)

this seems to be your only real opinion. that she was forced to actually serve her sentence merely because she's famous.

like i said in an earlier post, it's quite possible that the judge wanted this particular sentence of his strictly enforced because of the media attention. but i think the same would hold if this were any one of the other random "crimes of the day" that gets undue media attention. the judge has the legal right to have his imposed sentence enforced, and why would he want the public perception of him to be that the LA county sheriff can just ignore his wishes.

back to the post...

Quote:

And whether or not you think the Sheriff's quotes are strong enough data or not, the point is still that people were saying she got favorable treatment, when there was NO EVIDENCE to say this to be the case, (and in fact I think plenty of argument to say the exact opposite).. this resulted from horrible reporting and a reactionary public that likes to throw stones at the rich and famous. (As I do with my blog, haha.)

what evidence is there to say the exact opposite? you still haven't shown me any.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm saying the logic of her prison stay being favorable or not favorable.

And Ben, the burden of proof is on you. If one's gonna say she was given favorable treatment, they have to prove it. (And no one has in my opinion.)
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
And whether or not you think the Sheriff's quotes are strong enough data or not, the point is still that people were saying she got favorable treatment, when there was NO EVIDENCE to say this to be the case, (and in fact I think plenty of argument to say the exact opposite)

Except Dave pointed out way back when that PH was being housed in a special unit for famous folks. Sounds like favorable treatment to me.

Actually, the fact that PH isn't being hanged from the nearest lamppost is all the proof you need that she's getting favorable treatment.

UDM
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UDM wrote:
Actually, the fact that PH isn't being hanged from the nearest lamppost is all the proof you need that she's getting favorable treatment.

Did the sheriff hang anyone ELSE from a lamppost??? You people are NOT DEALING WITH MY ORIGINAL QUESTION!!! NOBODY ELSE got hung from a lamppost so she IS NOT GETTING FAVORABLE TREATMENT!!!! I AM NOT SAYING THAT PARIS SHOULD OR SHOULDN'T BE HUNG FROM A LAMPPOST ARGH GRR DRAMA *implodes*

----------
Ben
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
I guess I'm saying the logic of her prison stay being favorable or not favorable.

ok, i've read that three or four times, and i honestly don't know what you're trying to say there.

Quote:

And Ben, the burden of proof is on you. If one's gonna say she was given favorable treatment, they have to prove it. (And no one has in my opinion.)

i have no burden of proof, because i'm not trying to prove anything. i didn't say she was given favorable treatment. you said she was given an excessive punishment. that's an assertion which you haven't backed up.
Ben
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Gonsalves wrote:
UDM wrote:

Did the sheriff hang anyone ELSE from a lamppost??? You people are NOT DEALING WITH MY ORIGINAL QUESTION!!! NOBODY ELSE got hung from a lamppost so she IS NOT GETTING FAVORABLE TREATMENT!!!! I AM NOT SAYING THAT PARIS SHOULD OR SHOULDN'T BE HUNG FROM A LAMPPOST ARGH GRR DRAMA *implodes*

*loves*
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura wrote:
That IS what he said, overcrowding was a factor... the fact that he thought he had to use a medical excuse to get her out just illuminates MORE of why he thought he couldn't treat Paris in the same regular fashion as everyone else.

Again, the judge said "NO ELECTRONIC MONITORING," ie, she couldn't get out of jail early to be under house arrest, but the Baca thought it suitable to go over the judge's head. THAT's why he thought he could use this "medical excuse" BS to get her out of there. The judge probably saw Paris Hilton wearing the shirt that said, "I'm Paris Hilton, I can do whatever I want." and said, "Not this time, bucko." haha.

Quote:
Jealous of the fact that she's richer than you and gets to do whatever the fuck she wants? Maybe.

Obviously she doesn't get to do whatever the fuck she wants.

The only thing money has been able to buy her is a terrible weave, a bad nose job, and a tacky, moronic existence. Oh, and herpes. Very Happy Loves it.

This is the bottom line: The sheriff intentionally went against the judge's written orders. That says special treatment to me. Regarless of how, why or what way he went about doing it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody and their dog has been whining about how Paris is getting this favorable treatment, just turn on CNN in 30 minutes to see more of that. And what this thread has revealed, is that the only evidence to cry foul, is she was put in isolation just like any other high profile person. That's the best you got? If you respond with more evidence to that effect, GREAT, you're FINALLY RESPONDING IN A LOGICAL WAY.

I think it's amazing people can bitch and moan based on an assumption that's baseless and possibly wrong. My whole opinion stemmed from a bigger observation, not necessarily on Paris' case; I think it's interesting how reactionary people can be.

Ben, maybe you weren't trying to prove anything, but everybody else has been making assumptions left and right because it's the convenient thing to do. All I did was point this out.

And I'm sorry Rob, but maybe if people actually addressed what I was saying originally, I wouldn't implode. It makes me feel like I'm talking to a wall. Whether or not Paris is a bad person and would benefit from jail time is an entirely different issue than whether or not she almost got out of jail because she's a celebrity. But okay, oversimplify the issue and make me look like some Paris apologist.

Logic of prison stay was too general a way to put it. I was thinking more of the perspective of the regular Joe who's trying to determine if she got the "celebrity treatment."

And Frosty -- all your points are good and you're actually one of two (you and Ben) who truly responded to my argument instead of just ignoring it. Maybe it was special treatment? But you'd have to say that he's given special treatment for every other person he let out after 10% of their stay. That's my point. So it's not an issue of celebrity, it's an issue of the sheriff and overcrowding and a LONG, historical problem with the sheriff re-sentencing... Paris might be highlighting it, but she's not the reason for it.

If you don't care about this, fine. Say you don't care. But don't jump down my throat.

Last edited by laura on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In September 2006, Hilton was arrested and charged with driving under the influence with a blood alcohol content of 0.08%, the minimum at which it is illegal to drive in California. Hilton's drivers license was subsequently suspended in November 2006, and in January 2007 she pled no contest to the alcohol-related reckless driving charge. Her punishment was 36 months' probation and fines of about $1,500.

On January 15, 2007, Hilton was pulled over for driving with a suspended license and signed a document acknowledging that she was not permitted to drive. On February 27, 2007 Hilton was caught driving 70 MPH in a 35 MPH zone, again with a suspended license. She also did not have her headlights on even though it was after dark. Prosecutors in the office of the Los Angeles City Attorney charged that those actions, along with the failure to enroll in a court-ordered alcohol education program constituted a violation of the terms of her probation.

----------
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome again for livening up these boards. But I'm kind of thinking it wasn't worth it. Sigh.

I give up. And I don't mean just about Paris. Forums suck nowadays.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with everybody doing their thang on LiveJournal or MySpace or whatever other internet cafeteria table people are setting up, why bother with poor ol' forums anymore? Now people can ramble to their heart's content without worrying about the other folks in the room. I'm surprised it hasn't hit these forums even harder!

As it stands, this is still one of my favorite places to visit, even if responses are delayed to nonexistent- and maybe that's because nobody's felt things are worth responding to also (and that's not just about your post Laura, I'm sayin' in general). But hey, if its too lame for ya kitten, well, sorry we're so damn borin'!

I will say this, this particular thread's been plenty fun- if Ben and Rob keep it up, the next video journal from Laura might just be her head exploding Scanners style! AWESOME!
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not right!!!! MOM!!!!!!!

----------

Last edited by Rob Gonsalves on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cue Ted Levine: "WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone ever should "cue Ted Levine."

Unless it wants the hose again.
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, no one's ever turned against me like this before. Not even Ozzers. Now I'm just some crybaby. Didn't realize that's what you guys thought of me. I'll never try to defend logical arguments again.

Well fuck you too.

Whether you're mocking Paris or me. Pleh.

Done.
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I think Laura is to be commended for taking the other route. It's easy for us to bitch about how much we detest PH, but Laura's taking the road less traveled here.

Her point is that, while we believe Hilton got special treatment, the opposite is actually true. That her fame was actually a roadblock and now she's being made an example of. If it were ANY other celebrity, a lot of us might be saying "Hmm, good point, Laura."
laura
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is that people don't care about the truth when it's related to the case of someone they don't like, for example a spoiled celebrity. And I'm glad people think that point is so trivial so as to completely stomp on it and then patronize me after doing so. If I had to use any more evidence to express this aforementioned point... well I'd just link to this thread.
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAngryJew wrote:
Her point is that, while we believe Hilton got special treatment, the opposite is actually true. That her fame was actually a roadblock and now she's being made an example of. If it were ANY other celebrity, a lot of us might be saying "Hmm, good point, Laura."

ANY other celebrity? I don't recall Mel Gibson getting much sympathy after his DUI escapade, on this site or anywhere else.

UDM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: