eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Show Me Your Jams

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Show Me Your Jams Reply with quote

First, my Top Five...

1. "Fame" / David Bowie
The Doobie Brothers' "Black Water" and Blondie's "Rapture" were my first favorite songs, but this slinky hit from 1975's Young Americans was the song that made me want to get my own records. David Bowie. With John fucking Lennon. And that guitar riff! Need I say more?

2. "Everybody Knows" / Leonard Cohen
The centerpiece of the legendary rock poet's 1988 masterpiece I'm Your Man appeals to my cynical nature. Of course, I was one of those losers who first heard it in Pump Up the Volume, but I did have the decency to track down more of the guy's work afterward.

3. "Earth Died Screaming" / Tom Waits
One of the most atmospheric songs I've ever heard, which shouldn't surprise anyone--few artists are better at creating musical atmosphere than Tom Waits. Also, his version of "Downtown Train" is so good it literally hurts

4. "West End Girls" / Pet Shop Boys
It's not your typical number-one hit: a nerdy white Englishman rapping about the nightlife politics of London's working-class and clubhopper districts over a lurid, sexed-out synth pulse. This song makes me want to stalk down some dank, moonlit street in high heels and a trenchcoat, making people nervous.

5. "I'm the Slime" / Frank Zappa
Zappa's 1973 television bitchslap is doubly relevant in 2007. Any time I find myself tempted to watch E! or MTV, I listen to this song. Works better than smacking my own hand, and I don't disturb as many bystanders.

For the majority of my dork-out playlist, click below...

http://users.livejournal.com/__needfulthing/69748.html

(I use the phrase "dork-out" because guilt takes all the fun out of pleasure.)
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm such an asshole.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're just predictable. Razz Kidding. Peace.

So what flavor you reckon that stuff is, anyway? (The jars) You know what it reminds me of? The "Steak Tartare" scene from Waxwork.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have so many iTunes favorites, and I can't seem to get into the head of doing music favorite lists the way I can with movie stuff. I started to reply in earnest and it ended up looking like a "Best Songs Used Really Memorably in Movies" list. Sad.

----------
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Gonsalves wrote:
I just have so many iTunes favorites, and I can't seem to get into the head of doing music favorite lists the way I can with movie stuff. I started to reply in earnest and it ended up looking like a "Best Songs Used Really Memorably in Movies" list. Sad.

Don't worry about it. I snorted Dr. Pepper out my nose because it's the kind of thing my best friend would do, so please take that as a compliment.

By the way, you're talking a woman with a makeshift Donnie Darko soundtrack in her collection (including "West End Girls", which the whole Sparkle Motion sequence was originally choreographed and meant to be set to). How's that for sad?
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielle Ophelia wrote:
By the way, you're talking a woman with a makeshift Donnie Darko soundtrack in her collection (including "West End Girls", which the whole Sparkle Motion sequence was originally choreographed and meant to be set to). How's that for sad?

Um. I put together a similar Donnie Darko soundtrack, only without "West End Girls."

The question is, does your soundtrack have INXS'...

Scratch that, I went Googling and found this. That's the sort of compilation I tried to make soon after seeing the movie on DVD.

I own the director's cut also, but I can't bring myself to watch a version that doesn't begin with "The Killing Moon," man.

----------
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well--I'll use any excuse to sneak "West End Girls" into a compilation. Obviously.

"Never Tear Us Apart"? I know, I know. Yeah, it's on my disc, but what the fuck did they wanna do that for? "The Killing Moon" set the tone so perfectly; even the name of the group is a parallel--I mean, Echo and the Bunnymen? You can't beat that.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. I just can't believe the INXS song was the intended opening song.

Also? I love "West End Girls" as much as the next '80s freak, but Sparkle Motion should always have danced to "Notorious," goddammit. (And that song ties in thematically with the action, too!)

----------
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Gonsalves wrote:
Also? I love "West End Girls" as much as the next '80s freak, but Sparkle Motion should always have danced to "Notorious," goddammit. (And that song ties in thematically with the action, too!)

Hell yeah, I agree. Not to mention, "Notorious" includes one of my all-time favorite musical couplets.

Don't ask me to bleed about it
I need this blood to survive

Nice...

Good thing Neil Tennant wanted half their budget and they had to make a Plan B, huh?
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Gonsalves wrote:

I'm such an asshole.

I bet that's not even your jam! Mad

And you're hotlinking, aren't you!? *shakes head*
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Show Me Your Jams Reply with quote

Danielle Ophelia wrote:
4. "West End Girls" / Pet Shop Boys
It's not your typical number-one hit: a nerdy white Englishman rapping about the nightlife politics of London's working-class and clubhopper districts over a lurid, sexed-out synth pulse. This song makes me want to stalk down some dank, moonlit street in high heels and a trenchcoat, making people nervous.)

"There's a gun in your hand and it's pointing at your head."

That's a brilliant line. Not "You're pointing a gun at your head." The passive construction makes all the difference, implying the sense of being out of control.

P.S., Blondie is generally cool but not "Rapture." The next time I hear about the man from Mars who eats cars until he starts eating guitars, I'm gonna chuck the radio out the window.

UDM
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see The Pet Shop Boys a couple of weeks ago actually. Still awesome.
Danielle Ophelia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Show Me Your Jams Reply with quote

MP Bartley: Yeah? Did they do "Shopping", by any chance? Always did have a weakness for that one.

UDM wrote:
"There's a gun in your hand and it's pointing at your head."

That's a brilliant line. Not "You're pointing a gun at your head." The passive construction makes all the difference, implying the sense of being out of control.

Wow. That is such a good analysis.

I still love "Rapture" almost as much as I did when I was four; it's "One Way or Another" that works my nerves. Debbie Harry's vocals get, shall we say, uncomfortably phlegmy toward the end; I want to interrupt the song and tell her to clear her throat already. Although Clem Burke's drumming does the song prouder than it deserves.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they did Shopping - there weren't too many they didn't do to be honest.
MrTinkles
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Gonsalves wrote:
I know. I just can't believe the INXS song was the intended opening song.

The only way I ever saw "Donnie Darko" was at Sundance, where it still had "Never Tear Us Apart." I mentioned the song in my review (and praised the use of it), which resulted in "Donnie Darko" fans getting angry at me for getting my facts wrong, because by the time they saw it, that song had been replaced. It's just another reason I was bitter toward "Donnie Darko" for so long. That, and the movie's complete failure to make any sense.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie Darko is one of those cases where it doesn't matter to me much if it makes any sense; the tweaked emo mood of it is what I love.

I felt better about loving it before it became hip among teenagers to love it, though. Now I feel like I'm trying to act twenty years younger when I wear my "That is when the world will end" shirt, even if I'm not trying.

----------
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pet Shop Boys always struck me as being passively hostile in a way I didn't really appreciate till years later. That voice just says "You're not even worth saying 'fuck you' to. So we're just going to make you feel vaguely uneasy with our music."

None of which is a bad thing, of course.

----------
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f*r*o*s*t*y wrote:
And you're hotlinking, aren't you!? *shakes head*

I'm crazy like that.

----------
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: