eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 50 horror movies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Top 50 horror movies Reply with quote

Something's fundamentally wrong with a list that doesn't have Halloween anywhere on it.

Weinberg, go spew spittle at him.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, who has room for Halloween when Candyman II needs a place on the list? Rolling Eyes
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cube? Really? I mean, I dig the flick but I don't know if I'd even call it a horror.

And I'm so glad the author has seen so many pre-80s flicks - apart from the glaringly obvious ones really... Rolling Eyes
UDM
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellraiser is #1? It has its merits, but I seem to recall that it falls apart toward the end (due to that age-old culprit, studio interference).

UDM
SeveredAreolas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Evil Dead? Silence of the Lambs? Seven? The Shining? Each of these should easily qualify more so than at least 10-15 of the movies on this list.

F.
Zebra 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Christmas ('74) and Jaws ('75) didn't make the list!? Surprised
Jack Sommersby
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit to liking Carpenter's grossly-underrated Vampires very much, so I was glad to see it on a list.
Jason Whyte
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all need to put up our own Top 50 horror film lists on here.
"I talked to Jeremy Piven on the phone, and he told me that he discovered that he had a very high level of mercury. So my understanding is that he is leaving showbusiness to pursue a career as a thermometer." -- David Mamet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no horror afficiando, so my choices may be a little obvious, but here's mine nevertheless:

50) The Brood

49) Cabin Fever - yeah, Roth's an arsehole but this one works.

4Cool Jeepers Creepers - 2nd half sucks, but that first half...

47) Shaun of the Dead - for all the great jokes, the zombies themselves are never made silly.

46) Dracula - 1930s Universal version.

45) Plague of the Zombies

44) Evil Dead

43) The Howling

42) Candyman

41) 28 Days Later - you could stick the sequel in there too.

40) Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein - what, above both Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein? Yep. Tarantino put it best when he said the funny bits are really funny, but the scary bits are really scary - which is why Young Frankenstein hasn't made the list. An honourable mention to their encounter with Dr. Jekyll too.

39) Dracula - Hammer version from the 1950s.

3Cool Ghostbusters - c'mon, that bit in the library at the beginning? Terrifying.

37) The Others

36) Don't Look Now

35) Rosemary's Baby

34) An American werewolf in London

33) The Wicker Man - original. Duh.

32) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - original. Duh.

31) Manhunter - not the best Lecter film, but the scariest.

30) Gremlins - not as wacky as you first think. The Gremlins following Billy's mother around the house still haunts me.

29) Dawn of the Dead - original, but the remake can hold its head proudly.

2Cool Night of the Demon - or Curse of the Demon in the US.

27) Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

26) The Exorcist

25) Nosferatu

24) Salem's Lot - original. Still the best vampire flick ever.

23) The Birds

22) The Exorcist 3 - best scare ever in this one.

21) The Omen

20) Ringu

19) The Fog

1Cool Friday the 13th

17) Poltergeist

16) Quatermass and the Pit

15) Invasion of the Bodysnatchers - 1970s version. Yeah, it's probably more sci-fi than horror - but it scares the living daylights out of me.

14) Alien - Sci-fi or horror? Both actually.

13) Se7en

12) Session 9

11) The Thing - See Alien for justification.

10) The Innocents

9) A Tale of Two Sisters

Cool The Haunting - original, which is the scariest haunted house film ever.

7) The Descent - scariest film I've ever seen at the cinema.

6) Carrie - the lesson is, never piss a girl off who's on her period.

5) The Blair Witch Project - yeah yeah, there's as many haters as lovers for this one. But I'll champion it's undeniable power til the day I die.

4) Night of the Living Dead

3) Halloween

2) Psycho

1) The Shining - yeah it's obvious, but fuck it. It crawls under your skin like no other.[/b]
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shining is intellectualized anti-horror to such a perverse degree that it has become one of the heavyweights of modern horror, endlessly ripped off.

I think Spartacus was really Kubrick's last genre film. After that he just made Kubrick films, period. Consider how lame it sounds to call 2001 or Clockwork Orange "science fiction films," or Full Metal Jacket a "war film"...or The Shining a "horror film."

I think of the scene Stephen King hated so much, when Wendy is looking at all the typed pages and then Kubrick cuts to Jack slowly approaching her, instead of having him pop up suddenly in the frame, like every other director would do. Kubrick didn't go for the "boo!" effect. He went for something else, and the choice is so deliberately odd that it's far more effective than "Boo!"

But if you want genuine pants-shitting terror, Kubrick gives you that, too: those damn twin girls..."Come and play with us, Danny...forever...and ever...and ever..." Goddamn, that gives me chills to this day.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me 4 attempts to watch The Shining all the way through - mainly because I was too terrified to watch anymore after the twins started popping up.
Jason Whyte
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) The Shining - yeah it's obvious, but fuck it. It crawls under your skin like no other.

A wonderful choice and also would be my #1. It's those hallways and what is just around that empty corner that is terrifying to me.

Quote:

I think of the scene Stephen King hated so much, when Wendy is looking at all the typed pages and then Kubrick cuts to Jack slowly approaching her, instead of having him pop up suddenly in the frame, like every other director would do. Kubrick didn't go for the "boo!" effect. He went for something else, and the choice is so deliberately odd that it's far more effective than "Boo!"

The way he would also cut music into the sequences was also brilliant. When Jack attacks O'Hallorahn with the axe, you first hear Jack's scream, the axe hit and THEN the explosion of music. Like the typed pages scene, a lesser film would have had a massive jolt on the soundtrack.
"I talked to Jeremy Piven on the phone, and he told me that he discovered that he had a very high level of mercury. So my understanding is that he is leaving showbusiness to pursue a career as a thermometer." -- David Mamet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: