eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transformers -- reactions.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck it. I'm in.

I think that was Megatron.

Yeah, I'm in.

Roll out bitches.
glenncerritos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: transformers the movie Reply with quote

That site is down
Check out:
http://www.transformersmovie.com

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFvUdt9BQhU
Also look for it on Pirates of the Caribbean
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just soiled my shorts a bit. Me likee.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step out of your helicopter or we will kill you.

What was that I said before?

Oh yes. Fuck it. I'm in.

Moreso now. Love the holographic human pilot/driver idea.

The only thing I would have liked to hear was at least one line of dialogue spoken by Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime).

The little girl with her pink stuffed animal watching Megatron climb out of her swimming pool was a tad on the manipulative side, but, you know, its Michael Bay- subtlety schumutlety.

I'm not sure if they got around to casting Frank Welker as Megatron's voice (his sound test was a bit off), but man, I hope so.

Yeah, I'm in.
Maegs
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Michael Bay movie?

Great! Now all I have to do is wait for the Souter review. Looking forward to it!

-V
SeveredAreolas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, in the name of everything holy, don't let this suck. It will retroactively ruin my childhood...
MP Bartley
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transformers kinda passed me by as a kid, but yeah, why not?
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already resolved that this will not be my childhood Transformers. And that's ok. At least the lasers are going to do some damage here.

Its going to be nonsense of course, but it will be pretty nonsense. The cartoon was a product push that actually managed to be entertaining. Its a perfect project for Bay- the concept isn't exactly grounded in much logic, and there's hardly any depth to speak of, so it will be a loud, fun flick and I'm in.

And like I said, can't wait to hear Peter Cullen voicing Optimus Prime again.

If the movie ends up disappointing on all fronts, then I'll just cleanse my pallette with a viewing of the '87 Animated Film- which as many know I have a particular passion for.
petersob
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm holding out for Uwe Boll's "Go-Bots: The Movie"
CharlesTatum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got into the cartoon, so this looks cool as hell...and I predict a Sound Effects Editing nomination from the 2007 Oscars...*cling**clang*
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeveredAreolas wrote:
Please, in the name of everything holy, don't let this suck. It will retroactively ruin my childhood...

A few years ago, I would have said that. Then I bought the first season of the show on DVD and started watching them.

As great as the concept behind Transformers was, the bar is not nearly as high as one might think for execution.
SeveredAreolas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaySeaver wrote:
SeveredAreolas wrote:

A few years ago, I would have said that. Then I bought the first season of the show on DVD and started watching them.

As great as the concept behind Transformers was, the bar is not nearly as high as one might think for execution.

Oh I beg to differ. I bought the first season on DVD, and only fell more in love with Transformers than I had been as a child. I mean, I remember specifically an episode where Optimus Prime is knocked down by Megatron, and as Megatron is escaping, OP shakes his mighty fist in the air and screams "Megatron!!!"

It was so powerful a scene of hopelessness and pain, I could feel tears well up in my eyes.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, they need to un-exclusive that right away - I just went from "yeah, I'd like to see that" to "I HAVE TO SEE THAT NOW."

It's got the touch!
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's some pretty stellar eyeball candy in that latest trailer.
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not terribly sure what my reaction to the trailer I saw at the theater yesterday is. On the one hand, yeah, there's some gorgeous bits... But the way it was cut was a reminder that Michael Bay is a master of shooting gorgeous bits but lacks any skill whatsoever at piecing them together into a coherent story. I mean, in some ways, this thing's a sobering reminder that the director is, in fact, Michael Bay.
natasha_theobald
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been ready to see it since the first teaser trailer. I just love watching the stuff transform. Maybe it's part of my new tech trend wherein I watch DL.TV and Cranky Geeks with pure joy.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I gotta say, I've skipped FF contrary to when I thought I'd be seeing it, I've only been netflixing lately, but this one's a trip to the theater hell or high water. Now to pick the right theater...
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transformers was something I was a little too old for at the time, so I have no feelings about the movie one way or the other, except that it's Michael Bay and therefore it has a 99.98% chance of sucking.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
Ryan_A
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what about The Gobots?
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early knee-jerk reaction: Goddamn, this is the dumbest, most story-less movie I've seen in a while... but goddamn, it's also oodles o' fun, what with the giant robots punching each other and stuff. Plus, having so much pointless nonsense thrown in to make the fanboys cream their jeans, well, it actually works.

Transform and roll out!

And fuck the GoBots.
brianorndorf
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a card-carrying member of the “I loathe Michael Bay” secret society of cinema snobs, I thought the film was a gas. I was shocked at how much I bought this nonsense.

LeBeouf? Bay? Fanboy adoration? I mean, the thing is a literal cocktail of headaches. Yet, I was smiling all the way through.

Wonders never cease.

William Goss wrote:
By the way, when AICN scooped that teaser earlier this week, they referred to it as "Cloverfield." Pity there's no title or site or IMDb page for it, because as far as monster-movie-by-way-of-handhelds teasers go, it's a good 'un.

Everyone at my screening thought it was called "Bad Robot," due to the eye-catching production company listing in the credits.
SeveredAreolas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat disappointed in the movie, too much live action nonsense (though I did laugh out loud a few times).

William Goss wrote:
By the way, when AICN scooped that teaser earlier this week, they referred to it as "Cloverfield." Pity there's no title or site or IMDb page for it, because as far as monster-movie-by-way-of-handhelds teasers go, it's a good 'un.

Here is the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/
magicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was quite surprised that many people were at the earliest showing today, July 4th. Hoping to watch the movie with a couple of people with teenagers and crying babies away, I was quite disappointed but it didn't ruin my movie experience.

The film was decent. This is coming from a guy who knows nothing about Transformers. The oh-so-incredible action sequences weren't that good and the plot, well, you know, was paper thin. Sure the CGI was flawless but you expect more. I found the camera work better than Bay's past films and the score great (except Linkin' Park).

This is all you need to know when you see this film: Good robots vs. bad robots trying to find this mystical cube. If you want to watch this film for its plot and story, you'll be disappointed. Do you even think this film needs a good plot? No. It's a fun filled action film.

I thought the film excluding the last forty minutes was decent. I expected more from Bay but as the last forty minutes rolled in, it gets thrilling. The action is non-stop. I liked the humor throughout the film which makes it entertaining. Shia LaBeouf plays a charismatic character and Megan Fox a sexy, but smart, girl. Others like Josh Duhamel and Jon Voight was good.

Do not watch this movie expecting a great story. Watch it to be entertained with the action sequences and humor. Michael Bay isn't a grand storyteller yet but he is a professional popcorn movie director. 7/10
Erik The Movieman
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its reviews like that that force critics to repeatedly prologue their reviews with "yeah, I didn't go in expecting Citizen Kane."

Even silly popcorn movies need elements to make it WORK. Michael Bay could have made a HALF-decent movie and most critics would have given it a pass because it wasn't as bad as his others. It's just as bad - if not WORSE.
Rob Gonsalves
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outlaw Vern said it best:

Quote:
And I know I made this point in talkbacks, and so have others, but it bears repeating. DIE HARD was a blockbuster/popcorn/summer/event movie. So was ALIENS. And TERMINATOR 2. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. STAR WARS. JAWS. ROAD WARRIOR. PREDATOR. ROBOCOP. TOTAL RECALL. THE MATRIX. LORD OF THE RINGS. You people who like your BATMAN and SPIDER-MAN and X-MEN and SUPERMAN and James Bond and LETHAL WEAPON... these are all big event movies, many of them timeless, many of them clever, well-crafted, some of them masterpieces. I am not being pretentious, I am not expecting too much, these are mainstream, crowd pleasing movies and they are what you used to hope for when you went to a summer movie. You can't realistically expect a movie as good as ALIENS every time, but that's better than resigning to the idea that "summer movie" equals "horribly made infantile disposable pap" and being excited about it anyway. If a summer movie is meant to be like TRANSFORMERS, then why the fuck aren't you people embarrassed to be going to see summer movies? At least have the decency to admit that it's a strange, possibly deviant hobby.

Vern gives me a happy.

- Iris Barry, Let's Go to the Movies, 1926
----------
Shoot him again. His soul is still dancing.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> General Movie Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: