eFilmCritic Forum Index eFilmCritic
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On the Lot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: On the Lot Reply with quote

I was pretty psyched about this show, but episode 1 ... not so hot.

I kinda lost interest when the potential filmmakers were dazzled by ... Brett Ratner.
CharlesTatum

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if it means getting a "deal," Uwe Boll could have walked in and been worshipped.
Kand El
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratner. I realize its hardly intelligent to equate someone's performance in a scripted show with their actual behavior, but watching his smug, smarmy performance in Entourage, I just wanted to walk up to that villa, beat his fucking face, roll him, truss the bastard up, paint him in his assistant's entrails and let his last moments be witness to me balling his harem before I gave him the hatchet. That this fuck should have any power whatsoever... gah.

Actually, one might take that as a compliment to Ratner that his performance could annoy me to the point of an urge to commit great violence.

Ahem. I'm a nice guy. Really.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally caught up with the first two episodes. Loved it as much as I could, although shows like these leave me spending less time caring about the contestants and more time wondering what kind of story I'd whip up if I were on the thing.

I'm glad I'm not on it, because I'd never get any air time. All my comments would be to the tune of "Oh, Garry Marshall thinks my story needs work. Yeah, I'm fuckin' devastated." The people ass-kissing Rather on air are either idiots or devilishly clever in the game of Hollywood politics.

(Asking Ratner to judge your movie is like asking Paula Abdul to judge a singing competition. Oh, wait...)

On the other hand: How absolutely freaking awesome was that "Time Out" short, the one with the stopped time?
TheAngryJew
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I kinda thought the FX-heavy mini-movie acted as sort of a microcosm of what's wrong with Hollywood in general: The guys wrote a really flimsy story, one that existed only because it was supported by one of the guys' FX skills. And then when the frozen hangers hit the screen, all the monkeys in the audience were oohing and aahing like they just saw The Wizard of Oz for the firs time.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree completely: you make a two-minute movie in 24 hours, the story's gonna be flimsy*. (The only other one of those shown that I liked was the "good deed" one, thanks to some great visual punchlines - but it had NOTHING to do with the assigned logline.) So why not impress with what sort of kicky visuals you're able to churn out in a few short hours? It wasn't really about story there, it was about showing everyone up, raising the bar to say "here's what WE can do in just one day." Obviously if they had more time, it wouldn't be so slight on the story. (I'd hope, at least.)

*I say this because the series seems to be a competition of directors, not writers. You make the show a writing challenge first and foremost, and you'd get some damn fine stories churned out in minimal time. With On the Lot, not so much. I mean, those pitches? Stick with directing, kids, and leave the writing to someone else.
f*r*o*s*t*y
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cornelius wrote:
I disagree completely: you make a two-minute movie in 24 hours, the story's gonna be flimsy*.

As opposed to... filmsy?

Sorry. I'll see myself out, now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that we've settled on the real format of the show (more Idol-y than regular reality fare), thoughts? Aside from the fact that Fox can take 50 minutes of material and somehow spread it over 120. How many commercial breaks were there?

Other filmsy thoughts:

1. Stories have a beginning, a middle, and an end.

2. Garry Marshall loves women filmmakers. His sister is one.

3. Some young artists have no problem with product placement.
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is this show officially the biggest flop in the history of ever?
CharlesTatum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having never seen the show...had to get that out of the way...Entertainment Weekly has been sounding the death knell, especially last issue. Something about dropping half a dozen contestants in one week, but not explaining it on air? The network is stunned that something with the name "Spielberg" on it is so unwatchable, quickly forgetting "Hook."
mseaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the scoreboard of TV, I think this ranks as a "what the hell did you expect," but AICN had a thing about all the contestant controversy awhile back. I don't know how much to believe, but... a studio didn't allow a bunch of amateurs to do and say whatever they wanted?? They wanted oversight??? AND CENSORING?? To quote Fark, EVERYBODY PANIC!

I watched one episode. There was one short I didn't hate. Cut this shit loose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
David Cornelius
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this one went from "mildly disappointing" to "worst show on TV" pretty damn quick. The finale was the capper - what a joke.

Am I the only one still watching this piece of crap?
JaySeaver
HBS Monkey
HBS Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I can't call it "worst show on TV" after having seen Flash Gordon's pilot, but, man, this week was a clear case of them not wanting to spend any more money than necessary.

I didn't wind up hating the show, but it's got to be one of the least well-planned shows of its type ever. I don't necessarily think "American Idol with filmmakers" is really a bad idea, but they never figured out how to make it work: There should have been more behind-the-scenes stuff, they should have worked their way up to longer pieces (three minutes is a good length for a pop song, but not always for a film)... It's also clear they decided to cheap out after the initial ratings weren't so hot.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eFilmCritic Forum Index -> TV Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: